My email contacts has been hacked - delete suspicious emails

My Outlook/Hotmail contacts list looks like it's been hacked. If you get any email apparently from me (Deane) with an attachment and a request for a password, please just delete it.

I've changed my email password already but not sure if that will stop anything. Also scanned my own PC for viruses (Win 10 Defender) but it found nothing.

Not sure what to do, but I apologise for any negative consequences...

~ Deane

p.s. Mods. move this to a more appropriate place if necessary.

You might be getting 'Joe Jobbed' and not actually hacked.

Read HERE

Someone could be doing a 'Man In The Middle' attack on you, and then doing a Joe Job on you. Read HERE

Did you get someone mad at you recently (first place to look, police 101 it's usually someone you know)?

Read both the links above, it may help you...

Last edited:
Thanks Christopher, I will read those links as soon as I can. I've been too busy sending out apology/warning replies to everyone who's been enquiring if the email they got from me was bogus or not..!

Funnily enough, I did get one from "Deane". The only Deane I know is you. But the email looked hinky and had an attachment PDF file. I isolated the PDF in a sandbox and scanned it. Sure enough, it had a payload of what looked like a rootkit. So I deleted the whole thing.

Bill

Funnily enough, I did get one from "Deane". The only Deane I know is you. But the email looked hinky and had an attachment PDF file. I isolated the PDF in a sandbox and scanned it. Sure enough, it had a payload of what looked like a rootkit. So I deleted the whole thing.

Bill

Hello Deane,

Same here, and same as Bill ---

Found it strange, and deleted it --- I was about to send you a PM about this, but found this thread!

Ish

I'm relieved that at least some of my friends/Contacts have good instincts about these things. Once again apologies, although I'm not sure how this happened.

Probably someone hacked your Hotmail address book, might want to consider changing your password.

Eventually we will come to realize that the internet is akin to having your phone tapped around the clock and the camera, and the microphone, on constantly. This allegedly now indispensable tool has been turned on us from a variety of people. Advertisers collect the habits of users. They use it for targeted ads and then sell it on the internet for others to use for any purpose they wish. There are vast troves of data stored in the "cloud centers" that are being traded as commodities. A normally honest company may not meet payroll next month. Where do they get quick cash. They bite their tongue and sell the data they collected, being fairly confident that no one will ever know.

There is noting you can do since free speech and money collide to form odd allies.

Back