TRS2010---->TANE SP2. Worth the struggle to fix assets?

Hmmm, that might be overkill for a 3rd party asset that has newer equivalents available on the DLS that look just as good. Might let this one go then.....

I'm glad it wasn't an overlooked easy solution. Thanks for the tip.

You're solution is exactly the same one I chose. ;)

The question mark "?" character is most likely the result of the author using a non-Western character set, and this is common problem with assets from the Russian Federation and other Eastern European countries which use diacritical marks, ligature characters, and the Cyrillic language.

Until the latest hotfix, there are no have feature to replace spline and track skmilar to bulk replace.
We should do manually like drawn from first.

Greetings all, can I ask a "TANE newbie" question? I scanned the game manual and conducted a search on the forum, but couldn't find a quick answer to this, but no doubt this is TANE 101 level stuff for most readers. Maybe my search terms were wrong.

I am testing a route whose assets I repaired sufficiently to all be visible in TANE, and I am seeing assets that are meshed, but green and white in color. What does this indicate? I jumped to TANE from TRS2010 and haven't seen this before. The couple of these I have looked at don't appear to be faulty in CMP, but they are very old assets. Is TANE thus informing me that I should replace that asset with something less ancient?

That's easy.

I thought it would be.

It's TANE telling you there are missing textures.

Ah yes. I see what you mean.

Take as an example the ancient environmental texture called "redspot" - a version 1.3 asset which has a now-unnacceptable compressed texture in it rather than a TGA.

The question now becomes why this texture did not show up as faulty in CM when I looked at all the dependencies of the route. Should it not have generated one of the VE 165/168/170 errors ?

Possibly because it is a "built-in".

Well that's fantastic news. There are only 10400 "built-in" tagged assets in my collection. A cursory survey indicates a 100% hit rate for compressed textures among these. Thanks N3V.

I foresee these compressed textures becoming the bane of my existence. My Nemesis.

Well that's fantastic news. There are only 10400 "built-in" tagged assets in my collection. A cursory survey indicates a 100% hit rate for compressed textures among these. Thanks N3V.

I foresee these compressed textures becoming the bane of my existence. My Nemesis.

Different issue.
The game cannot install compressed TGA's which is nothing to do with the .texture format seen when opening a builtin or N3V Payware asset.
Builtin and DLC textures are combined with the associated texture.txt and pre compiled into .textures, effectively locking them to stop people messing with them or passing N3V payware around their mates, which has been a problem in the past.

We used to be able to open them and decompile the .texture into texture.txt and tga using Pev's images2TGA, works up to TS12 however not sure about TANE builtins.
With ordinary assets the texture.txt and TGA are compiled in to .textures when the game loads them as that is what the game uses internally.
Put another way, a .texture is the TGA and texture.txt rolled into one.

Edit:

If having problems with a builtin asset you either revert to original, run an extended database repair or re-install. Personally with a builtin if it's faulty which is unusual I would just disable it and avoid using it.

Re the Green and pink textures on imported builtin assets from TS12 or older, use images2tga to create the tga and texture.txt from the .texture.

Last edited:
If having problems with a builtin asset you either revert to original, run an extended database repair or re-install. Personally with a builtin if it's faulty which is unusual I would just disable it and avoid using it.

That texture (red spot) works fine for me in SP2 (88364) although I haven't tried the beta version.

AssetX will also fix most issues with .texture files and now includes a utility to create a texture.txt file. You may want to check the contents to ensure it reflects how the texture should be used.

During the beta tests (the original series), we used to see lots of assets with texture issues (the green and white ones) but I don't recall ever having to fix any, other than my own assets. Perhaps a database repair might useful.

My routes transitioned to TANE via TS12. I recall track getting disconnected track, bridges lost and quite a lot of terrain in a patchy untextured state. From what I've read in the forums, moving routes into TANE seems to be the biggest issue. There is probably a lot of data conversion going on.

Last edited:
How to fix the trawl thing.

1) Download and install the latest Images2TGA from Shane's website.

2) Create the batch file using notepad or some other text editor. Notepad++, UltraEdit, Context, etc. will also work. Just don't use Word or Open Office.

Using PEV's own helpful document, I pasted this line in a text file and modified for my own use. The difference here is I need to close the Images2TGA window after running, but that's not a big deal. For some reason I could not get the application to work when the window closed afterwards. That might be a Windows 8/10 thing, but anyway it is what it is and works okay.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\PEVSoft\Images2TGA\Images2TGA.exe" -trawl "F:\TANE_DATA\editing\%1%"

Change the part in bold to match your own T:ANE data location. Remember to keep the quotes!

3) Save as a .cmd (command batch)

4) Open up your asset(s) for edit in Content Manager

5) Run the application as admin.

Note: If your data is located in C:\Users\{profile}\App Data\Local\N3V Games\TANE\Build xxxxx, you may need to unhide this directory first in order for the batch to work. Since I put my data on it's own drive away from the OS, I never dealt with that issue.

My thanks goes to JCitron for this solution to bulk texture upgrading, and of course Pev for his awesome utility Images2TGA.

That is a big time saver. I opened 300 assets with the old compressed texture format that makes them green/white in-game, and started Images2TGA after creating a batch file as specified (haven't done that since MS-DOS days!).

Confirmed to work in TANE SP2 on a windows10 machine. Just make sure to get both locations in the batch file correct.

Back