Why Register??

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
I got into an argument with a site manager/owner about having to REGISTER to download something. What purpose does registering serve? What is everybody afraid of? Anyone can do it, (register) but, IMHO, it's a pain in the ass. Sometimes I think people make websites for downloading and requiring visitors to REGISTER is some sort of "power" thing. It does nothing to serve the public. It's a hassle because then you'll have to (usually) remember another password. I'm willing to bet NOBODY likes to have to register in order to have to download something. And don't give me a lecture about spammers and stuff like that. And does registering really deter spammers?

Just another bunch of junk to prove the world is going to hell. Nobody trusts anybody anymore.

It's not spammers that can be the problem sometimes - it's third party download sites. Some of these have a habit of adding extras which are unwanted (one of the more prominent Trainzers here whose tools I host has encountered issues with third party sites doing just this).

There's also the aspect that registration can assist on the support side as well as it can be more personalised.

Shane

Registration also restricts the site to a legitimate user who undergoes the arduous task of registering for the site. Many sites have bandwidth limitations or file size limitations and this thins out who is downloading stuff. There are plenty of password managers that can store your web passwords on your local machine and require only a master password to access them.

think your right I tried to get on trainz commuter rail for 5 hours but you know what I think you should have a site no registering and just all downloads

It does give an element of feedback to the person who runs the web site. If no one appears to be interested they might let the web site lapse.

Cheerio John

My 2 cents:

I don't mind registering at sites to download something --- what bothers me is that sometimes these registrations go to far in asking for your information -- A simple questionnaire ... a simple form ... like your name, maybe one or two more questions, etc is find!

Ish

Back