Durango & Silverton / Cumbres & Toltec

I drove the million dollar highway from Grand Junction (US-50 and US-550) to Durango (on a motorcycle). They advertise the wonderful aroma of the trees but in reality all you can smell is burning brake pads on the 18-wheelers who are trying not to go over the high side. Beautiful ride tho.

Prior to that I stopped for the night in Frisco City, Colorado (elevation around 9500 ft). Bartender asked me where I was from and when I said about 20 miles north of West Palm Beach, Florida he said "drink slow - this altitude will mess you up". Yup - 3 beers was my limit that night (sipping slowly too, lol).

Ben

Ah yes, we went the other way up as far as Montrose then headed east to Denver, staying over in Gunnison (the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is an absolutely stunning national park). Came across another railway museum in Golden by accident, the Colorado railroad museum. No trains running that day but was interesting enough and got to speak to a few folks there. That was our last stop before heading for the airport.

I'd totally forgotten that altitude thing with the beers!

The Colorado Railroad Museum is supposed to be really good.

I wonder what a extra dry martini would do to you at 10,000 ft (instant blotto, lol).

Ben

I must have a good tolerance. Managed to polish off 3 or 4 cocktails on one night, one being a martini.

I found a few snaps I took at the Colorado railroad museum, plus one of the D&T from my hotel room window. Odd to think I'd been up at Buffalo Bills grave just an hour beforehand in crisp snow.

The D&T train heads out in the morning.
36263829352_0d764e55aa_c.jpg

Ignore the hairy fella in this one.
36263827442_948ac7c85d_c.jpg

Some silvery American thing.
36386612576_22d2d5c4f9_c.jpg

A kettle of some sorts.
36263826202_4dd602e539_c.jpg

Seen better days this one.
36386611206_fb115157f8_c.jpg

I spent 2 days in Durango. First day wandering around, shop tour, and looking at all the equipment. Second taking the train. I got up early enough on the first day, stood on that corner, and watched all the trains depart. What (to me) sticks out like a sore thumb is the McDonalds (just out of your photo) on the other side of the tracks. It definitely clashes with 70, and 80 year old steam locomotives, lol.

You notice there are no crossing gates or even flashing lights at that mocrossing? Just a gent that comes out and stops traffic with a red flag when the trains are ready to depart (they aren't exactly speeding, lol).

I just noticed that is loco #482 - same one that pulled my train 15 or so years ago. She's holding up well I'd say.

Ben

Last edited:
Back