Detailed Route and Consist Information?

amzolt

A Flying-Half-Scotsman
I *love* Trainz...

Still, all the routes I've purchased (and the ones that came with T:ANE) are lacking something for me...

So much of what could happen in any given route (scenario) needs to be determined by patient exploration and many, many runs...

Is there any "Repository" of detailed info about routes ("beginnings" and "endings", where spurs go, which direction to use for passengers, which switches to set for which runs, etc., etc., etc.) ??

I guess I'm looking for info that can help me get the most out of the routes, sooner :cool:

None that I know of.

Session (scenario) creators do have the option of building in popup messages in their sessions that appear when a train reaches set points on the layout, or other events occur such as a coal hopper in need of emptying (or filling). These "popups" can give quite detailed instructions on what to do but they can take an enormous amount of work to build into a session so are often not used to the maximum possible extent.

Another possibility is that some creators (Philskene comes to mind) sometimes place detailed descriptions of the tasks to be completed as text files in the route asset .cdp files.

But, a repository of knowledge for the tasks and switch settings for routes and sessions, does not, AFAIK, exist.

None that I know of.

Session (scenario) creators do have the option of building in popup messages in their sessions that appear when a train reaches set points on the layout, or other events occur such as a coal hopper in need of emptying (or filling). These "popups" can give quite detailed instructions on what to do but they can take an enormous amount of work to build into a session so are often not used to the maximum possible extent.

Another possibility is that some creators (Philskene comes to mind) sometimes place detailed descriptions of the tasks to be completed as text files in the route asset .cdp files.

But, a repository of knowledge for the tasks and switch settings for routes and sessions, does not, AFAIK, exist.

Thanks, for the reminder about the pop-ups and the hint to search in .cdp files...

I do almost all Quickdrive runs; but will check already extant runs for those pop-ups ;)

Hope someone with lots of time will begin a Repository.........

The map and a scan of the route with a free roaming camera usually tells me most of what I want and need to know. But I guess it doesn't for you :) .

For my largest route on the DLS (my "Standard 12" project) I created an intro session that starts with ~20 short html pages with information. When the images stopped working in TANE, I turned that into a 1 page handbook and dumped on the tiny hosting space my ISP gave me. If you are interested in 10 hours of sessions that could keep you busy for a bit.

I know for the UMR there used to be a similar page out somewhere that listed the industries and locations.

No way I would ever start building that repository you are looking for, but out of curiosity:
What kind of specific information would you expect in something like that (other that the map function already tells you)?

The map and a scan of the route with a free roaming camera usually tells me most of what I want and need to know. But I guess it doesn't for you :) .

For my largest route on the DLS (my "Standard 12" project) I created an intro session that starts with ~20 short html pages with information. When the images stopped working in TANE, I turned that into a 1 page handbook and dumped on the tiny hosting space my ISP gave me. If you are interested in 10 hours of sessions that could keep you busy for a bit.

I know for the UMR there used to be a similar page out somewhere that listed the industries and locations.

No way I would ever start building that repository you are looking for, but out of curiosity:
What kind of specific information would you expect in something like that (other that the map function already tells you)?

Well, I've spent quite a bit of time (since April) in only one route "ECML" - King's Cross to Edinburgh, so I have a good knowledge of which tracks to use going which direction, where the spurs go and what's there, where I need to throw switches to make certain runs, etc. -- you might call it "operational" knowledge...

That's something like what I'm after; but, if I can't find it, I'll just continue to learn it the "hard" way :cool:

I have 22 other routes -- in T:ANE when I bought it and ones I've purchased...

Thanks for responding...

Last edited:
What we're lacking actually is a way to display text information simply within a route, and not resorting to popup-html pages that are difficult to assemble in part due to the extra-lite version of HTML used with Trainz. If I recall correctly, this became a topic with Chris Bergmann on how to implement this kind of thing within the route-data structure.

He didn't really like the idea of keeping non-route information within a route's folder, and suggested we use the Trainz Wiki for this for creating the user manuals for the routes and sessions.

What we're lacking actually is a way to display text information simply within a route, and not resorting to popup-html pages that are difficult to assemble in part due to the extra-lite version of HTML used with Trainz. If I recall correctly, this became a topic with Chris Bergmann on how to implement this kind of thing within the route-data structure.

He didn't really like the idea of keeping non-route information within a route's folder, and suggested we use the Trainz Wiki for this for creating the user manuals for the routes and sessions.

Interesting ideas... ;)

amzolt --

I see that my name has been mentioned in these dispatches.

I see that you have the Deluxe version. The sessions for the route of mine that is included in this version, the Bidye, use pop-ups. However, it was such a painful experience constructing and testing the sessions that I swore that I would never do pop-ups again. The other disadvantage is that pop-ups make the session very prescriptive -- the movements have to be made in exactly the correct sequence.

What I do now is give a description of the tasks as text next to the thumbnail of the session. Double click on the session in Manage Content to bring up the thumbnail.

I also give a fuller description in a posting in the Forums. For example here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...-model-railroad-quot-The-Yuan-Gulch-RRCo-quot

All my more recent routes are comparatively small so navigation should be easy. You might like to try one or two. You will find that all the required dependencies are either built-in or from the Download Station and the number from the Download Station is quite small.

Phil

amzolt --

I see that my name has been mentioned in these dispatches.

I see that you have the Deluxe version. The sessions for the route of mine that is included in this version, the Bidye, use pop-ups. However, it was such a painful experience constructing and testing the sessions that I swore that I would never do pop-ups again. The other disadvantage is that pop-ups make the session very prescriptive -- the movements have to be made in exactly the correct sequence.

What I do now is give a description of the tasks as text next to the thumbnail of the session. Double click on the session in Manage Content to bring up the thumbnail.

I also give a fuller description in a posting in the Forums. For example here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...-model-railroad-quot-The-Yuan-Gulch-RRCo-quot

All my more recent routes are comparatively small so navigation should be easy. You might like to try one or two. You will find that all the required dependencies are either built-in or from the Download Station and the number from the Download Station is quite small.

Phil

Well, you've made me pay attention to one of the 25 routes I have that I was ignoring --Bidye-- sorry :confused:

The forum example you linked to is *Marvelous* -- wish there were more Overviews like yours :cool:

I agree with Chris about what should (or shouldn't) be in a route folder. I also like the idea of having a wiki page devoted to a route and its sessions, because you can do a lot more with it vs. the built-in browser; and because it can be updated with tips and tricks, added insights, graphics, and so on by users of routes as they spend time on them. Having now had the experience of creating the wiki page for Basemapz, I have come to appreciate the power of this medium.

The icing on the cake in this case would be a (new?) tag in config.txt, similar to the Website URL tag we have now, that can point to the wiki page for the route or session; and then a convenient way, from within CM, Surveyor or Driver, to launch the user's default web browser to that URL.

Regards,
-Mike

I agree with Chris about what should (or shouldn't) be in a route folder. I also like the idea of having a wiki page devoted to a route and its sessions, because you can do a lot more with it vs. the built-in browser; and because it can be updated with tips and tricks, added insights, graphics, and so on by users of routes as they spend time on them. Having now had the experience of creating the wiki page for Basemapz, I have come to appreciate the power of this medium.

The icing on the cake in this case would be a (new?) tag in config.txt, similar to the Website URL tag we have now, that can point to the wiki page for the route or session; and then a convenient way, from within CM, Surveyor or Driver, to launch the user's default web browser to that URL.

Regards,
-Mike

I like your thoughts, Mike...

One clarification for a Newbie...

You said: "...a (new?) tag in config.txt, similar to the Website URL tag we have now..."

How do I get to a route's config.txt ??

(T:ANE) In Content Manager, highlight the route and type Ctrl+E; or right-click, point to 'Open...', then select 'Show In Explorer'. You will see the config.txt file in the folder that is displayed.

Regards,
-Mike

(T:ANE) In Content Manager, highlight the route and type Ctrl+E; or right-click, point to 'Open...', then select 'Show In Explorer'. You will see the config.txt file in the folder that is displayed.

Regards,
-Mike

Thanks, Mike -- sounds a bit like PC advice; but, I should be able to figure it out on my Mac :cool:

Found a config.txt file -- horribly complex, code-filled place to look for route or session info :eek:

Hi Mike --

"I also like the idea of having a wiki page devoted to a route and its sessions, because you can do a lot more with it vs. the built-in browser; and because it can be updated with tips and tricks, added insights, graphics, and so on by users of routes as they spend time on them."

Good luck with that. Just browsing through the routes and sessions on the Download Station it would seem that most authors can't be bothered adding more than one sentence in the description that appears next to the thumbnail. Many have nothing at all. Asking for a wiki page might be a step slightly too far for most authors.

In fact, I seem to be one of the very few who does take some care in describing routes and sessions, usually in my case by giving a reference to postings in this Forum. But even though it's an excellent suggestion, I'll be damned if I'll go to the trouble of setting up and maintaining a wiki page.

In all honesty I've got to the point that after so many disappointments with lack of information about sessions and with routes with so many missing dependencies (which is one of the most frustrating "features" Trainz) that I now very seldom download routes unless I recognise the author.

Phil

There is a thing that works/worked in TRS12 and Tane called EX trainz manager. It shows you all the industries and cars on the route.

However, what it seams like you are talking about is a timetable. Something like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzViFmroBUm-eEtoTklwY093bTA/view?usp=sharing that was made for my Fox Mountain and Little River route. This was made for the old MP Ops group I ran in conjunction with the route. It's based of the same style that many railroads use and give to their train crews to know where things are. This shows all the information regarding what is on the route, where industries are, yard layouts, and even rules for train movements.

The problem is, this was made after the route was built and took quite a bit of time. BUT its supper handy to have. I have a few for the prototypical route I am working on and they are supper helpful for operations.

There is a thing that works/worked in TRS12 and Tane called EX trainz manager. It shows you all the industries and cars on the route.

However, what it seams like you are talking about is a timetable. Something like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzViFmroBUm-eEtoTklwY093bTA/view?usp=sharing that was made for my Fox Mountain and Little River route. This was made for the old MP Ops group I ran in conjunction with the route. It's based of the same style that many railroads use and give to their train crews to know where things are. This shows all the information regarding what is on the route, where industries are, yard layouts, and even rules for train movements.

The problem is, this was made after the route was built and took quite a bit of time. BUT its supper handy to have. I have a few for the prototypical route I am working on and they are supper helpful for operations.

That is EXACTLY what I was asking about but, obviously, didn't state clearly enough... :cool:

Thanks!!

Which part?

Last I played with it, EX Trainz Manager was broken in TANE with the latest update.

This part is what I was trying to say:

"It's based of the same style that many railroads use and give to their train crews to know where things are. This shows all the information regarding what is on the route, where industries are, yard layouts, and even rules for train movements."

This part is what I was trying to say:

"It's based of the same style that many railroads use and give to their train crews to know where things are. This shows all the information regarding what is on the route, where industries are, yard layouts, and even rules for train movements."

So a Timetable like what I linked. Those, I feel, are the best things to have. However, its something the route creator, or their friend(s) must go out of their way to make. So its VERY uncommon to have on for Trainz routes. However, there are a few route builders out there who take their time to make SOMETHING for their routes. Such as East Kentucky 3 (EK3) wich has a pretty good route map you can get from the creators web site.

Back