What's the purpose of "Friends"?

ish6

Since 2001
Hi Everyone,

You know when you click on someone's profile, and just below it says add "friends" ... what's the purpose of it?

I am curious!

I have added folks there that have send me request to be my friend, but I have never understood what's so special, or purpose, or do something happens if someone is on that list!?

Thanks for any feedback!:wave:
Ish

It's just a symptom of the current social media where some find it desirable to have "friends" or to be "liked". South Park did a really good episode on it a few years back. It's a bit harmless but some get annoyed with being asked.

If you don't want to be asked then you could add a note to your profile telling people not to ask you to be their "friend".

I absolutely HATE the "Friends" thing on this Trainz website. I have had gobs of people want to be my "friends." No thanks. I think it came from Facebook, which I also HATE!

Hi Everyone,

You know when you click on someone's profile, and just below it says add "friends" ... what's the purpose of it?

I am curious!

I have added folks there that have send me request to be my friend, but I have never understood what's so special, or purpose, or do something happens if someone is on that list!?

Thanks for any feedback!:wave:
Ish

It's popular with the young folks Ish, you wouldn't understand ;)

"Friends" is one of the 4 privacy setting options.

Example:
You can set it up in such a way that only Friends or Contacts can see parts of your profile, like your contact details.

Go here and find out the options:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/profile.php?do=privacy

If you don't like the name "Friends" but would consider those people contacts, you can turn all those people you accept as friends into Contacts. That way they are also not listed on your profile.

I always figured that "friends" had a single purpose: when I choose to "ignore" or block someone, I can quickly ignore all of the others of the same ilk (that is, everyone on their "friends" list) at the same time! :hehe:

I always figured that "friends" had a single purpose: when I choose to "ignore" or block someone, I can quickly ignore all of the others of the same ilk (that is, everyone on their "friends" list) at the same time! :hehe:

I can't say I've ever blocked someone because they were guilty by association.

Hello Everyone --

Just to many to quote:

1. Thanks guys for your explanations! I was just curious what it was all about, and how it works!

2. People have asked me to be their friend, , and I say sure ... "Ill be your friend" .... sounds freaky, LOL ... :hehe:

As for me, I don't ask ... since it's not a big deal for me! :)

U all take care now!!!
And thanks again!!
Ish

Perhaps it's a crowd of people who've grown up watchin' Barney (the purple dinosaur), all day? :D

I absolutely HATE the "Friends" thing on this Trainz website. I have had gobs of people want to be my "friends." No thanks. I think it came from Facebook, which I also HATE!

Dave, we ALL know how you feel on the subject! :hehe: Ish6. See what you did! :D

Sucks ... When you get old:

41w1s8JHKOL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg

KYQkj.jpg

Last edited:
Back