CN Oil Train Derails

Bad news...

I think this has to do with the sudden heat and track geometry issues. This is the time of year when track starts doing crazy stuff, but we'll find out once the NTSB does their investigation.

Bad news...

I think this has to do with the sudden heat and track geometry issues. This is the time of year when track starts doing crazy stuff, but we'll find out once the NTSB does their investigation.

Could be, but our temperature has been about the same last few weeks, ~80 in the day, ~70's at night, maybe down to the mid 60's a few nights. might have also helped that we have been getting descent rain showers.

I thought it was CSX that couldn't keep their trains on the tracks.
GuthrieDerail04.jpg

050114trainjrb1.jpg

untitled.jpg

csx.jpg

5779415930_bc80cecbb3.jpg

CSXderail1.jpg

I live close to Plainfield IL, so that was big news for me. I am so glad that it didn't explode.

Haven't checked the Canadian situation but have found that there are many derailments in the USA which is putting it much behind much of the rest of the world?

Haven't checked the Canadian situation but have found that there are many derailments in the USA which is putting it much behind much of the rest of the world?

Well you have to remember US railroads are much larger in scope that that of EU lines. They mostly haul fright (much harder on the track vs a lightweight passenger consist) with much larger consists, over longer distance's. There is more chance for things to go wrong. Also there is many times more idiots who don't know how to act around railroads and do stupid things (racing to the crossing comes to mind). That being said, some company's do seem to have a lot more big wrecks than others.

Thanks for that information and can I maybe further ask if there is a proper checking system like they have elsewhere?

Thanks for that information and can I maybe further ask if there is a proper checking system like they have elsewhere?

Checking system? If you mean systems that check for defects in the track/rolling stock yes, there is. But a visual inspection cant see everything and exray/ultra sounding every bit of equipment and every mile of track for problems takes a lot of time and effort, and means that that rolling stock/ section of track cant be used for operation, a major problem on the bottom line. They also have things called defect detectors along that track that look for overheating bearings, brake pads, among other things and relay that info to the engineer.

Back