Photobucket's new rules.

What if they had charged $5/month and 20% of the 100M free users stayed on? That's 6 BILLIONS dollars - fully 30 times what they make by pulling this stunt.

What about year 2, when the overcharged $400/year users gradually start migrating away?...
I agree with you, as long as these users are willing to vote with their feet, so to speak. The only way these companies seem to learn is the hard way.

Those willing to pay the price need to consider that they are perpetuating this business model that other hosting sites will soon follow. Let Photobucket die in place, and few other sites will attempt to do the same.

FCT prices will rise in the near future. The best way to impose a price increase is to provide an improved product. Adding that hosting facility to a FCT subscription would be the best way to market the FCT price rise.
Well, first you have to log into this forum, and then to the Trainz Gallery, and then into your personal account, and also on to the Trainz Storefront... The day N3V ties all of this together into one streamlined interface is the day I'll believe that they can actually check to see if you have an active FCT to host pictures in the forums.

And then, what happens when someone's FCT expires? The ol' Photobucket banner-like thing?

I figure that if N3V can host a bazillion screenies in the Gallery, most of which are rubbish, what are a few additional miniature gifs and jpegs going to cost 'em?

Last edited:
Photobucket is just one out of many image hosting sites, no need for people to start getting in a panic and creating may never happen scenarios, plenty of free options or cheap paid for ones.

Photobucket is just one out of many image hosting sites, no need for people to start getting in a panic and creating may never happen scenarios, plenty of free options or cheap paid for ones.

Exactly. One company shot themselves in the foot without warning, and when there is still a plethora of free alternatives, choose one and move on.

Well I have just deleted my Photobucket account, though it took a few minutes to figure out how! (Hover over your persona icon top right and click 'settings'. Then click 'account'. From here you can delete account and even tell them what you think of their service!)

I will be re-directing all my recent posted photos to be hosted on my own website though there may be a few missing here and there. Only done my signature so far.

Several companies seem to give small amounts of free storage these days. I think Google give you 15Gb free? And I get some with my broadband and even a camera I bought. Try using that if you have the option. I have to say I have never used any of it but if you are given a web address it should work.
Just use the 'Insert Image' button above. You need to put the web address including http:// and I noticed it was case sensitive..... but that's better than $399!

Boat

Several companies seem to give small amounts of free storage these days. I think Google give you 15Gb free?

I did look at Google Photos as a possible replacement for Photobucket but, from what I had read they make it very difficult to use their service to host images for other sites, such as this forum. Your idea of using the free web space (if any) supplied by your ISP is not one that had occurred to me so I will look into it.

Hi Pware,

The photo below is being hosted by my Google Photos account, which at this size tells me I have 'unlimited' storage.

To get it here, first left click on the photo in your google 'library' so its full size on the page. Then right-click and select 'view image info'. This opens a box, (at least it does in Windows 7) where you can select and copy the link. (its the 'image' that starts 'googleusercontent'.com. Then paste that, (its several lines long) into the Insert Image above.

This seemed to work for me.

Whether there is some Google terms and conditions which forbids this I don't know.... but it works!

x_GKLRcv3DN3RAFH8nfmH2e6R7mvov1djyZDdAf3pyCpAuJZgQMjprWGq5B9UYcgcs9-dpjJGmhb0Udxug94wwXHcyOZZOnQRLtnYeOKUbmTwLwsN1xmrqQD-Nb6Nx1xUR0nytx3M0QAoyoO0fr0rg9ZQJHTjSq2Xg4O6NB7mCYUAAyAAY009cSVARGvNU_B1lNrrLPfOItDkUO-yyJgueOgsjQYsVdq45QSaxTaw930WaQHoEdBjRqWqPQamJEZDVFiTiUnj7afVOidiJIBWBc1h7VkCq_SOoe3K9LSB83mH73MMP3LhnBzxYFHJ9L67BKfiw1YzwZL8WMELS7NWuM3Lsd3Xkr1cqR24RRLurixlg4GHrfnm-b1SiV53U6JfC3lEzFIg4amF8P0IHslnMJd0K0VojY22QygdwCILQCJgVdToYokR7dBUXc8kgBvIRJwxBW0hSUf6tMkigKU15GFhKyQ7_4CfDNsrYgQ3aYLIQUWtkCGk0X04MhUxhVEkb6jT11WMrz90Qu5_KsrD0usKOD1OvHlEQo8twCmtZOePWM8Mca3I9yFNnPGMhQdpNN56wrhaSGwk0hHA0CsB-SQe6y2JRqKW_srG4-SiDkuBs_TzpynOyU=w1457-h971-no

Regards,

Boat

The photo below is being hosted by my Google Photos account, which at this size tells me I have 'unlimited' storage.

Great photo by the way. Thanks for the info.

The comment that I read about using Google Photos for hosting images is that the link they provide (the long list of alphanumeric characters in the link name you pasted into your post) only lasts for a few days then it expires. I will come back to your post in a few days to see if that happens. If not then I will consider using my Google Photos account.

Ahhhh..... Thats a shame. So they have thought about it!!!!

OK, well lets see in a few days.

The photo was taken at Diggle on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. I'm waiting to enter the Standedge canal tunnel in that rented boat. The tunnel was dug in 1811 through the solid rock of the Pennines and at just over 3 miles long its the longest canal tunnel in the UK.

By the way, Vulcan kindly made me a Trainz model of the boat. Its 'Narrowboat 1' KUID2:60238:9606:2 on the DLS.

Boat

Well that's very odd. I can still see it!

And yes, I've refreshed the page. Its there in a different browser too.... and even on my iphone!

Did it go away and come back? Or is it selective?

Just a point of interest as I'm sure you're correct about it going away eventually.

Boat

Probably if you have a Google account you will see it if you are still logged into Google, you can't embed from Google Photo's, part of the reason is the link to the file does not end in a file extension and part because it's not supposed to work. You can only share them with others, meaning they can see them in Google Photos not on another website. Might find it vanishes after a reboot or clearing cookies.

All I'm getting is a blank screen with a no entry sign on it.

Hi Malc and everybody
Images saved on Google photos can only be shared to the Google + social media site or websites created from within Google + using the website allowance allocated to the account user. Some years back images saved on Google drive could be third party shared to any site. However, it is probable that it was realized that with eBay rapidly growing Google forseen the emerging problem of image third party hosting and placed the above restrictions on Google photos use.

As I stated in an earlier posting in this thread, i personally and my company now use the superb Microsoft Azure as our main cloud server and backup to Google drive. You can use Microsoft SQL from within Azure to share to almost anywhere I believe. However, it does cost although there is a free trial period still available or there was the last time I checked.

Edit to the above. They now call the website allowance, the "Google My Buissness Page".

Bill

Last edited:
Hi All,

Yes, it looks like it's only there if I'm logged in to Google. Tried it on a third Browser which definitely wasn’t logged in and there it was.... gone!

Oh well, I tried.

For the benefit of canal enthusiasts, below is the same photo, this time hosted by my own website!

If you really get stuck, Photobucket would want the equivalent of about £25 per month to be a hoster. My website costs me £7.19 per month plus about the same for a once a year domain registration.
Might be cheaper to set up your own website and use that!

Boat

Canal.jpg

Back