Photobucket's new rules.

Download your images from Photobucket and then close your account. But leave your links to those image active. It costs them bandwidth to show their beg image. :p

I believe that it is the security problem brought forward by the "wanna cry" viruses that is now dominating all thinking in IT circles at present. Wherever anyone looks change is on hand, be that Photobucket, Microsoft, Amazon Web services or even Google chrome OS which has never been hacked, change has in these last week's come about.

Photo images are amongst the highest to carry a virus and therefore Photobucket have in all probability brought in extra security. That does not come at no cost. Therefore free hosting obviously has "gone out the window as we all face increasing charges to use the internet.

Full cloud operating systems will be the future of web services with all the restrictions that it brings to users. However, if that it what it takes to bring security to web use then that is what we will all have to accept.

Bill

After that article on Windows 10s, yes, you are right. The future is definitely cloud services, and we are going to have to pay, one way or another. The free ride is over. Remember Angelfire?

I will never trust any of my data to any 'cloud', sooner kick the internet into the bin.
There is to much big brother snooping going on into peoples lives, by companies just out to make a quick
profit at our cost, cloud gives them the easiest way ever invented, to get hold of everyone's personal
information & it is no more secure than the current system.

Hi everybody.
I will never trust any of my data to any 'cloud', sooner kick the internet into the bin.
There is to much big brother snooping going on into peoples lives, by companies just out to make a quick
profit at our cost, cloud gives them the easiest way ever invented, to get hold of everyone's personal

BLACKWATCH,In regard to cloud operating systems, there is an old adage that states "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". The Google Chrome full cloud Operating System was brought into being in May 2011. Since that date OS has never been hacked in any way even though Google have on numerous occasions offered hackers up to half a million dollars if they could carryout a successful attack on the system. The foregoing is not to say that the system will never be hacked, but at this point in time it is without doubt the most secure system on the market.

The above is the reason why Microsoft have recently launched their own full cloud based operating system by way of Windows 10S. Reviews on YouTube and in other media do however suggest that Windows 10S does not operate in exactly the same manner as Google OS and that it may contain some security vulnerabilities as demonstrated by a number of those who have reviewed it on YouTube.

However, myself and my company have used Google OS since 2013 and have no problems whatsoever. There are no security concearns for users to worry about or updates to contend with as all that is taken care of by the cloud servers that the devises on the system are continuously connected to, There are restrictions on users such as sites you can visit (naughty ones are these days most definitely out of the question, LOL) but that is the price we will all have to pay if we want better security.

Throughout the IT world almost all analysis believe that it is not a question of if another "wanna cry" attack will occur but when.

Bill

Last edited:
Does your use of Google OS include the use of the Chromebook Tablet?

It barely sold in Australia. Very poorly received.

Hi Saiieditor and everybody.
Does your use of Google OS include the use of the Chromebook Tablet?

It barely sold in Australia. Very poorly received.

My experience with Google Chrome OS would be by way of various brands of Chromebooks and the LG Chromebase desktops. It may be Saiieditor that you are referring to the recently introduced Chromebook convertibles that duel boot with Google Android.

If the above is the case then my experience with them is limited to my Acer R13 which works well when just operated for Google OS. However when switching into the Android operating system (which is quite complex at times) I would have to say that the performance of the device and the apps you run "leaves a lot to be desired".

Let us say that the Chromebook/Android convertible project is still a work in progress and Google admit that they have had huge problems in the development of the project.That stated, the recently released Samsung Chromebook plus 4 (I think that's it's title) has received good reviews in running android apps so perhaps Samsung has beaten Google to the post on solving the problem LOL.

In the above, I have never heard of a sole tablet running Google chrome OS being available here in Europe. If you can post the details of the device I will re-post that on the communities I visit on Google plus and see if anyone knows of it and if so the experience users have had with it.

However, I am in the old camp of having a Chromebook for Google OS and a separate phone and/or tablet for Android and it's great casual gaming.

Last edited:

I have to agree with you on this. Now is not the time to trust your data with a 3rd party internet based data storage agency - especially now that the USA and Mr. Trump seem to be going down the protectionist and isolationist policy road and we all know who holds the big ON/OFF switch for the internet! Not to mention your big brother snooping.

I'de rather store my data on external drives which can be connected and disconnected to and from my PC when needed and also, especially now, that massive capacity 10Tb hard drives are available relatively cheaply.

Rob.

Last edited:
Hi,

Anyone knows an alternative to PB?

Not the trainz gallery since that's only for trainz pictures!

Thanks
Ish

Just deleted my account - and told them why! Will use Imgur from now on. Started using it last week for the Virtual Airline I fly with. Seemed OK. I expect this means that all my previous pics of my Yorkshire Modelz Railways will now be unobtainable. I presume this will affect a lot of links on the various Trainz forums.

Yorkshire

I have to agree with you on this. Now is not the time to trust your data with a 3rd party internet based data storage agency - especially now that the USA and Mr. Trump seem to be going down the protectionist and isolationist policy road and we all know who holds the big ON/OFF switch for the internet! Not to mention your big brother snooping.

I'de rather store my data on external drives which can be connected and disconnected to and from my PC when needed and also, especially now, that massive capacity 10Tb hard drives are available relatively cheaply.

Rob.

Oh come on let's get realistic here. Donald Trump throw the switch on the internet and sink Microsoft, Google, the New York Stock Exchange and endless other US based global companies. I know many people think Donald's a bit light on realistic thinking, but even he in his worst moments would not be crazy enought to do that.

So Rob, store your data on your 10TB hard drive so when your house burns down all that data will go up in smoke with it. The foregoing is why people store data away from their homes and businesses.
Bill

Last edited:

So Rob, store your data on your 10TB hard drive so when your house burns down all that data will go up in smoke with it. The foregoing is why people store data away from their homes and businesses.

I have my feet planted in both camps here.

I use the Cloud (OneDrive) to allow me to easily share files between different computers at different locations and more recently to send large "bug report" files (layouts) to N3V. I also have my own personal cloud storage for photographs using one of those 10Tb hard drives. As it is attached to my router, it can also be accessed by external computers provided I leave both it and the router turned on while I am away. The photographs are also duplicated on another computer at a different location. I do not use cloud storage for personal or financial data.

I also keep backups on USB HDD and SDD devices attached to my desktop computer and, in case the house burns down, the important personal, financial and Trainz stuff (specifically my latest Trainz project under development) is backed up on USB thumb drives which I always carry with me. These have proven to be a lifesaver with the current "troubles" SP2 is experiencing as they allowed me to roll back my Trainz project (which is duplicated on 3 computers) to an earlier version that was "trouble free".

So Rob, store your data on your 10TB hard drive so when your house burns down all that data will go up in smoke with it.
Bill

Not so, just store your data drives with your personal papers (pensions, Insurance certificates etc.) in your fire proof cabinet, that's what I do.

Oh come on let's get realistic here. Donald Trump throw the switch on the internet and sink Microsoft, Google, the New York Stock Exchange and endless other US based global companies. I know many people think Donald's a bit light on realistic thinking, but even he in his worst moments would not be crazy enought to do that.

Bill

Trump and his administration have already threatened to deny internet access to certain countries involved with terrorism, if they can be that selective and in so much control of the internet, the possibility of global denial is always present.

If, and that's a big if, in the unlikely event that my house burns down then I will still have my data safe on several hard drives located in different places e.g. in my workplace for one!

Rob.

Amazing the extremes people go to to store their data. All we do as a buissness these days is to use the superb Microsoft Azure system cloud storage as the main storage centre and then continually and automatically back all that up on Google Drive cloud storage........simple

I do the same with my personal data at home as all is then stored in eight data centres around the world. i just keep hard copies of insurance documents etc in the filing cabinet at home............simple.
Bill

Last edited:
If someone wants your data bad enough, believe you me, it will be hacked, code is code, there will never
be a bullet proof system as long as that code can be read & hackers will continue probing code until a doorway is found.

Another point for you to ponder, If they can read data from a hard drive that you think you have deleted, how do you delete it from the cloud?
You can destroy a hard drive to prevent data theft, but you can't do that with the cloud ;)

Back