Photobucket's new rules.

Photobucket has been absolute garbage for a while anyway.

Interesting that you post that particular image, Sharknose, that derailment happened right next to where I went to college (a few decades apart of course)

I stopped using Photobucket 3 years ago because it was always going down whenever I logged in, and it was riddled with unwanted ads. I have since been using HostthenPost thanks to a lot of you trainzers who always mention it when people ask about image sharing!

From Photobucket's new Terms of Use;

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

• Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.

• Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

That (plus the slow page loading and all their annoying pop-up ads) is the end of Photobucket as far as I'm concerned.

So explain my 'FREE' photobucket account image at #9, posted on this 3rd party site.

So explain my 'FREE' photobucket account image at #9, posted on this 3rd party site.

That's a question for Photobucket to answer. Perhaps they haven't got around to implementing the software changes to remove image linking from free accounts. Or maybe you're special. I don't know, I can only speculate, but the writing is clearly on the wall.

Edit: There, I've just signed up to Imgur. Let us see how long they last before going mental like Photobucket.

2tYNDti.jpg

Last edited:
... but the writing is clearly on the wall.

I agree. Servers and bandwidth cost money and with more users resorting to the use of ad-blockers, it must be getting harder for hosts to attract enough "clicks" in an already crowded market to pay the bills. I suspect that others will follow this trend and the days of free image hosting may be numbered.

I too have had issues with an image hosting service. Earlier this year I lost hundreds of my images (including all those that I had posted in these forums over the years) in a "glitch" at the server end. It was "Photobucket" but it could have happened on any one of them.

I have since changed to another host but I am now extremely wary.

Problem could be solved if N3V offered limited in house image hosting for the forum, perhaps for FCT holders and up to a certain file size per image and/or (say) maximum of 10 images stored at any one time.

They already do. It is called Trainz Gallery and you can even upload to it from inside TANE and TMR2017.

"I too have had issues with an image hosting service. Earlier this year I lost hundreds of my images (including all those that I had posted in these forums over the years) in a "glitch" at the server end. It was "Photobucket" but it could have happened on any one of them.

I have since changed to another host but I am now extremely wary."

Well, the most basic question then, is "Who will be the last one standing?" Microsoft OneDrive? Google Drive? Amazon Cloud? Dropbox?

It is possible to post images in these forums from Dropbox. This is the method I use:

From Dropbox, copy the image link.
In Forum, open the insert image dialogue box and paste the Dropbox link.
In the dialogue box, replace

www.dropbox.com
with
dl.dropboxusercontent.com

Click OK​

With the other hosting services I don't know. Any information will be appreciated.

Phil

I have a Plus20 account with Photobucket and it costs about US$35.00 per year. My usage is a huge 0.28% out of 22GB allowed. I just checked and I can still post links so for the time being it suits my needs. If the rules change before my subscriptions comes up for renewal and I don't like them then I will cancel.

I confess I only subscribed to stop the ads that were not only annoying but at times obscene/inappropriate.

If it all goes to custard then I just won't post any images.

What is stopping you?
Have I overlooked some rules or something?

Edit:
Unless of course you mean none Trainz related pictures.
I would personally consider renders of assets you are building for Trainz as Trainz related, but I don't know the official opinion of N3V about that.

Last edited:
Look at what happened to the photobucket images in posts #4 and #5 on page 1 of this thread. There must be a small limit of 3rd party hosting hits. Once that limit is reached your personal account usage is displayed to the public. :n:

I hardly use Photobucket now in the first place. Looks like I may also "bin it"

They should talk about not posting inappropriate images, the ads they show are inappropriate & come up after almost every click.

What about that Flickr that offers 1TB for free? (Hope they don't go back to what they use to).

Once that limit is reached your personal account usage is displayed to the public. :n:

Um WAIT-ON! But they said that they CARE about their member's privacy :confused:

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I'm sure they sent me an updated statement of use, but I ignored it. Now, I deleted my account, and won't look back.

It's interesting that Google Earth stopped hosting images from Panoramio. Wunderground stopped hosting photos recently as well. It makes me wonder if the whole photo hosting concept is imploding...perhaps due to cloud storage?

I celebrated my independence by "dust binning" Photobucket this weekend. I downloaded each of my 8 PB albums as a backup, having to wait a minute for each while PB played a video. Ad-Blocker Plus blocked the video, so I don't know what it was about, but PB made me wait a minute anyway. Then I deleted the albums and my PB account. So far, no emails from PB begging me and my wallet to come back yet.

Andrew

Edit: I spoke too soon! Just received an email from PB "welcoming me to my new account".

Last edited:
Please note: I will No longer be using Photobucket and be deleting all accounts with them untell I find a new place to host my 100s of pics, anyone have good sites were I can host them. (PS: I'll brose this post too for ideas)

Thanks and crew you Photobucket 6 years of free hosting finished!

It appears that Photobucket has intentionally committed "Corporate Suicide", and all of the images in my thread: "PRR Screenshots" has been wiped out by their banner ... I suppose that there is no way to repost the images, except by downloading my Library, and hosting them elsewhere, a time consuming 1 by 1 process

Back