Photobucket's new rules.

I guess I'm in this category in the terms of service:

ANY PAYING MEMBER WHOSE PLUS ACCOUNT WAS IN GOOD STANDING AS OF JUNE 1, 2017, SHALL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE ALL THE PHOTOBUCKET SERVICES THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO HIM/HER ON SUCH DATE, INCLUDING IMAGE LINKING AND 3RD PARTY IMAGE HOSTING, UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2018 AS LONG THEY MAINTAIN THEIR CURRENT PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION OR A HIGHER LEVEL PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION DURING SUCH PERIOD OF TIME.

I can still 3rd party link but it seems that will expire at the end of next year.

I wonder if Photobucket will still be in business then.
:hehe:

Most likely they won't! :hehe: I should probably grab a few pictures and stuff from my old account, and back em up onto both my backup drive, and my 2 tb games n stuff drive!

I have been informed (that my previous banner which was undersize, and conformed to the COC standards) ... that it is now oversize, and violates the COC, all because Photobucket inserted their oversize warning banner: "To Upgrade and pay them money"

I had to delete my banner

Last edited:
We are not the only ones who are angry at Photobucket. I saw this news article the other day in which they are being accused of extortion, blackmail, holding photos for ransom, etc. I wonder if any lawsuits will ensue?
I am quite amazed that there are so many that actually have, and will cough up $400 to use this service. Do people really have that much money to burn? Aren't their policies more like ransomware than ethical service? How will they learn that this is unacceptable unless they are forced into bankruptcy? And how will this happen unless everyone jumps ship?

I have been informed (that my previous banner which was undersize, and conformed to the COC standards) ... that it is now oversize, and violates the COC, all because Photobucket inserted their oversize warning banner: "To Upgrade and pay them money"
I hope the Mods had the common sense to see why your banner was now oversize, and didn't go on an ego trip.

I'm sure my banner will expire with the same warning any day now.

Smiley.

Simply host your banner elsewhere if photobucket apparently no longer allows it. Easy as that.

Removing your banner from your signature takes only a few seconds. Many have done so already. So when you see your signature image go banana's due to photobucket (or whatever), just remove it for the time being till you found time to host it elsewhere.

About hosting Trainz screenshots in general...:
Simply use the Gallery as a hosting location. You can even upload to it from inside TANE and TMR2017, but also manually using the website.
Guess where my banner is hosted...

Simply use the Gallery as a hosting location. You can even upload to it from inside TANE and TMR2017, but also manually using the website.
I didn't even know that the Gallery existed!
Changed my banner over to it now.
Thanks!

Smiley.

First, I used imageshack for years, and they BOOM ... charging people, but yet they have like a thousand ads on their website ...

Secondly, I switched over to photobucket ... no problem for many years, and them BOOM, same issue!

If they charge a dollar not a problem for me, especially when both sites still have a millions of ad's on their site!

Gonna download the entire library if possible, and sail myself someone else! Or just store them away!

Ish

Absolutely furious about this - all my screenshots in Trainz since 2006 effectively deleted unless I give them $400. Sod them! Will be deleting my account forthwith.

Paul

screen%202_zpsjhbkdkkw.jpg

Free account still working for me :D

Free account still working for me
Of course it is. The only people they are holding to ransom are those with a significant investment in the site. They will wait until you have enough photos hosted there to make the hosting important, and then issue the ransom demand. There's no point in trying to extort money from people who can just walk away. They need to suck you in first.

Last edited:
Of course it is. The only people they are holding to ransom are those with a significant investment in the site. They will wait until you have enough photos hosted there to make the hosting important, and then issue the ransom demand. There's no point in trying to extort money from people who can just walk away. They need to suck you in first.

Well there's the answer, do not abuse a free offering by over using it :p

They can suck as hard as they like, I only keep pic's that I post on other sites for as long as the thread is relevant, then delete them.
Any photo's of value are stored on dvd's, or printed off & stored in an album, mostly both, I don't trust any 3rd party site to keep my
images safe.

Check again!

Paul

yeah they finally got to me, already deleted my accounts, but I lasted longer than most on here. :p
I told them in no uncertain terms why I was deleting my accounts, how many others bothered to give them a piece of their mind?

Ditto.

I have also closed my account with them. After the fiasco earlier this year when they had a "glitch" that deleted all my images and even they could not recover them, there was really no point in keeping the account.

This does reinforce the point I made earlier in this thread that eventually all the hosting services will probably go the same way - charge for storage and hosting images for other sites AND impose ads on those images, just like YouTube already places ads on many of its hosted videos.

Storage and bandwidth cost $$$ and we are basically getting a free ride. If you use an Ad blocker on your browser then they will not be getting that revenue either, so ads on the images themselves could be a logical next step.

Ditto.

I have also closed my account with them. After the fiasco earlier this year when they had a "glitch" that deleted all my images and even they could not recover them, there was really no point in keeping the account.

This does reinforce the point I made earlier in this thread that eventually all the hosting services will probably go the same way - charge for storage and hosting images for other sites AND impose ads on those images, just like YouTube already places ads on many of its hosted videos.

Storage and bandwidth cost $$$ and we are basically getting a free ride. If you use an Ad blocker on your browser then they will not be getting that revenue either, so ads on the images themselves could be a logical next step.

Hello, sir

I don't have an issue with them, except the price! Charge a dollar ... I mean, how many times, general speaking, we spend money on things that we might use once .... if they come out and say 10 dollar for a year, people will bit ... How I see it, they are also getting revenues from all of that ads on their website, also!

Been using them from the very start -- will download my entire stock, if possible, and move on!

Ish

I believe that it is the security problem brought forward by the "wanna cry" viruses that is now dominating all thinking in IT circles at present. Wherever anyone looks change is on hand, be that Photobucket, Microsoft, Amazon Web services or even Google chrome OS which has never been hacked, change has in these last week's come about.

Photo images are amongst the highest to carry a virus and therefore Photobucket have in all probability brought in extra security. That does not come at no cost. Therefore free hosting obviously has "gone out the window as we all face increasing charges to use the internet.

Full cloud operating systems will be the future of web services with all the restrictions that it brings to users. However, if that it what it takes to bring security to web use then that is what we will all have to accept.

Bill

Back