Photobucket's new rules.

I use HTP so this doesn't effect me apart from the hundereds of missing images I now see on this forum.
Interestingly, a lot of people online think this move is absolute commercial genius because even if only 1% of users pay the $400 that'll still make Photobucket millions. I totally disagree and I don't even think 1% will pay. My thoughts are summed up in this comment online:

"If 0.5% of the 100M users pay the $400, they make $200M the first year.

What if they had charged $5/month and 20% of the 100M free users stayed on? That's 6 BILLIONS dollars - fully 30 times what they make by pulling this stunt.

What about year 2, when the overcharged $400/year users gradually start migrating away?
What about the day after they pull this stunt, and not one single user signs up for new business because the cost is outrageous compared to any other web hosting or photo hosting service, even high-quality pay-for-service offerings?

I repeat: total cock-up. It gets them $200M now, if they are lucky, and it ends the company. My expectation is that after 6 months or so, they will realize the folly of what they have done and offer a suite of more reasonable lower-cost options."

It would seem that Photobucket committed intentional corporate suicide, and have very few employees

Just as farmers are paid by the government to plow their crops under, and grow nothing ... Photobucket avoids all the costs of hosting billions of peoples images

Last edited:
From what is now being stated in IT media outlets, the problem built up due to the very large number of online traders placing images of their products on Photobucket and then hosting those images to their sites on Ebay etc. These traders were therefore using the Photobuckit free service to make profit for their own companies.

Many may feel that the above would be good commercial practise by the traders, bringing them large cost saving for their buissneses in opposition to the high cost they would incur should they use a service such as Microsoft Azure etc. However, obviously their was little or no profit to be made from all the forgoing hosting by Photobucket therefore a decision has been made to ether get those traders to pay for the hosting or bring the practise to an end for those who do not wish to pay.

Although I would be the first to agree that Photobucket have handled the change of policy badly, it has to be faced that all commercial organisations are there to make the maximum profit for their private owners or shareholders. However, the situation has produced an equal number of Photobucket private users who just use the service in a small way for third party hosting to sites such as this to be badly affected by the change of policy.

There is an old adage that states " there is no such thing as a free lunch", that has sadly played out to be very true in this situation.

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

That makes perfect sense. If those traders simply switch their images to other free hosting sites then the problem, and most likely Photobuckets solution, will simply follow them thus affecting us all.

Perhaps it may be possible for N3V to provide a solution for the smaller images that are to be posted only in these forums. The Trainz Gallery is clearly for large hires images such as screen shots and this would not be suitable but N3V already host signature images up to a certain size. I appreciate that there will be a cost to N3V in this so it may be that only those who have purchased an FCT may qualify for such a service.

Its actually quite amusing. Just a few days after I politely cancelled my account with Photobucket - I resisted the opportunity to vent - I received a "confirmation of termination" email. Now today, I get another email from them asking me to give a "rating" to their support service. I will not respond.

Perhaps it may be possible for N3V to provide a solution for the smaller images that are to be posted only in these forums. The Trainz Gallery is clearly for large hires images such as screen shots and this would not be suitable but N3V already host signature images up to a certain size. I appreciate that there will be a cost to N3V in this so it may be that only those who have purchased an FCT may qualify for such a service.

Finally a reasonable point to this lengthy discussion!
That's a good idea --- Maybe posted up at the suggestion box! :hehe:

Ish

Bill,

That makes perfect sense. If those traders simply switch their images to other free hosting sites then the problem, and most likely Photobuckets solution, will simply follow them thus affecting us all.

Good point and agreed. Maybe put it to N3V and test the water.

Why bother with all of the above? Here's an image of one of my reskins hosted by IMGUR:

oOBKW7R.jpg

SECR Wainright H class. Available on DLS.

Rob.

Hello Everyone,

I upload to IMGUR, but how do you find such images!?

Example: I had to close the window, but when I went back to IMGUR impossible to find same image!

Thanks
Ish

I have an account on Imgur, all you have to do is click the tab labelled "Images" under your account name in the top right. If you don't have an account, then it'll be pretty hard to find your images again.

I have an account on Imgur, all you have to do is click the tab labelled "Images" under your account name in the top right. If you don't have an account, then it'll be pretty hard to find your images again.

Hello Chris,
Thank you, sir, for the info!
I'll be signing up!
Take Care
Ish

I would like to try using Trainz Gallery to post screenshots. Once I have uploaded an image to Trainz Gallery what do I do to post that image as a screenshot? Do I click on insert image as I did with photobucket? If so what do I do then? I know, I'm old and stupid.

Why bother with all of the above? Here's an image of one of my reskins hosted by IMGUR:

<image removed to save post space>

Very impressive but the crucial point of the discussion is what will happen if IMGUR and the other image hosting services adopt a "pay-for-post" business model or impose other restrictive policies like Photobucket?

<image removed to save post space>

what will happen if IMGUR and the other image hosting services adopt a "pay-for-post" business model or impose other restrictive policies like Photobucket?

A hypothetical question at the moment, just enjoy the free posting options for the moment!

Rob.

Last edited:

I think this is a great idea. The only reason I use Photobucket is to post images of issues/ideas that are related to Trainz and Trainz development. I already pay a subscription to Photobucket just to avoid the obnoxious ads and use a fraction of the space allocated to me. That subscription will have to terminate next year so I need to find an alternative solution to meet my needs.

I'm fortunate enough to have a lifetime FCT but am very willing to pay an additional yearly fee to N3V to host images related to Trainz. IMHO this service should be separate to the Trainz Gallery and image hosting within the Trainz WiKI. Those have a special purpose.

If N3V can make some revenue from this service then that's a positive outcome.

If N3V can make some revenue from this service then that's a positive outcome.
FCT prices will rise in the near future. The best way to impose a price increase is to provide an improved product. Adding that hosting facility to a FCT subscription would be the best way to market the FCT price rise.

I would like to try using Trainz Gallery to post screenshots. Once I have uploaded an image to Trainz Gallery what do I do to post that image as a screenshot? Do I click on insert image as I did with photobucket? If so what do I do then? I know, I'm old and stupid.

Hello Gary

I usually right-click copy and paste the image that u see!

Also, when u upload if u click that image it will become enlarge, look bigger, and that too u can copy and paste!

Hope this helps
Kind Regards
Ish

Back