Steam Locomotive Operating "Tips"

Hello, all.

I've been running some British steam locomotives (most notably from Skipper1945 and the Potteries Loop Line crew) and i've noticed one big issue: when starting off, whether the cutoff is at 15% or 75% or anywhere in between, i get a drop in boiler pressure of about 40-50 psi. I don't know if this is an isolated issue, but seeing as this happens to all of the locomotives i've driven recently, each with differing enginespecs, i can't help but think that it's not the enginespecs causing the problem.

I've driven steam locomotives in both MSTS and Railworks, and neither of those games have this issue. I've also tried a variety of adjustments, like starting with a lower cutoff and a lower regulator setting, or starting with a low cutoff and a high regulator setting; nothing works. I always have a large boiler pressure that ends up never getting back to where it started, thus deeming steam locomotives inoperable in most cases. I even had one time, driving a Fowler 4F, where as soon as i opened the regulator at all, the boiler pressure steadily dropped without stopping, until i was down to 1 psi.

Does anyone know of a fix for this issue? I'd prefer not to have to go into each and every engine to edit it's enginespec, but if that is the problem then i guess i have to. If not, has anyone else seen this and/or fixed it?

It could be that you are initially seeing some locked in pressure in the steam drum / pipes. Try the following before setting off.
1. With the cutoff at zero, crack open the regulator to a few percent and observe the boiler pressure.
2. It will probably drop and then stabilize. When it does, close the regulator.
3. Now turn on the blower and let the boiler pressure build back up.
4. Once at the desired pressure, you should be good to go and should not get the sudden drop-off.

If you still see the same thing happening, there may be something else wrong.

John

So i took your advice and toyed around with three different GWR locomotives, all by Skipper1945.

1. The 2251 Class 0-6-0's boiler pressure refused to raise back up at all when reaching Step 3.
2. The 2800 Class 2-8-0 was generally well-performing. I was able to get it up a 2 percent gradient with 45 empty wagons in tow without issue...except for the fact that it took nearly 6 minutes to get the pressure from where it dropped off in Step 2 back up to where it started (180 psi up to 225 psi).
3. The 5700 Class 0-6-0T's boiler pressure dropped consistently and only raised back up after reaching 20 psi, at which point, the only thing that raised the pressure was keeping the cutoff at full forward and the regulator at 50% open or higher.

In the end, only the 2800 was successfully fired up using this method...save for the fact that if this were the case for a locomotive suited for passenger work, timetables would be an an absolute nightmare due to the time it takes to raise the pressure back up to an acceptable amount. Thank you for your help though, John.

John has struck the 'cause' of this issue.

Essentially Trainz doesn't properly model loss of steam when either the regulator or safety valves are closed. Hence the boiler pressure doesn't drop overly quickly when the fire is cold (it generally will be when the session starts, as the loco is at idle).

You then need to get the fire hot using the bloer, and keep the coal at a good level (100% is the most optimal coal level; giving the hottest fire - you won't necessarily need it at 100% depending on the loco's configuration) to bring the boiler around. It could take anywhere from a minute, to many minutes, depending on the enginespec.

On the prototype the fireman will be adjusting the blower regularly, so as to account for how hard the loco is working. Coal also takes time to ignite, especially depending on how quickly you put more coal in and how much you put in, and will depend on the espec of the loco! Some locos are set with very quick burning coal, and hence it might only be a few minutes before it's making heat. Others may have slow burning coal, and hence may take 10 or 15 minutes to properly make heat!

I know from experience, albeit as a cleaner being shown how to fire the loco (time has prevented me going further in that area) at Puffing Billy, some coals do take only a few minutes to ignite. Others take a long time. During one run, we put a bank of coal on at Lakeside approximately 15-20 minutes before departure. This was starting to make steam just before departure time, when a bit more coal was put on to get us up the grade out of Lakeside.

For example on a passenger service, you will likely be arriving with the regulator essentially shut and the blower on. You will add coal before arrival so that you have steam for departure. If making your own sessions, I'd suggest adding the 'advanced industry configuration' rule for each station, and set it so that it does not take control of the train when stopped. That way you retain control over the blower and injectors when stopped at a station :)

Note, when using the keyboard, the blower by default has 6 positions.

Regards
Zec

So i also decided to run a test using the built-in C&O 2-8-4 and the boiler pressure didn't go down that much (245 psi down to 240 psi up to 245 psi again), and i also tested the Fowler 4P 2-6-4T from the Potteries Loop Line package, this time in TS12 (as compared to T:ANE, which is what i've been using) and saw the same issue: a large drop in pressure that would surely screw someone over in a timetabled scenario.

The final test i did was using the 5700 Class 0-6-0T again, this time with the Automatic Fireman setting turned on. This time, the pressure went down to around 160 psi (down from 190 psi) but slowly raised back up to 190 psi, allowing me to travel between two stations while still keeping my boiler pressure in check. That said, this is a shunting locomotive...am i really expected to sit around for 5-7 minutes in between every single shunting move? Sure, going from station to station is fine, but stopping and starting every two minutes or so would get tedious with this issue in tow.

In the end, it seems to be both a Trainz issue and an enginespec issue...which does motivates me at least a little to experiment with changing enginespec specifications. That begs the question: is there a specific parameter that applies to boiler pressure? I mean, that's a stupid question...there has to be, but even then, is there a way to change this boiler pressure reduction to a more acceptable amount, like with the C&O 2-8-4? Like i said, i've never had this drop in pressure happen in MSTS or Railworks, and if it did go down, i was always able to build up the pressure back to an acceptable measure. So is there a value in the enginespec data that controls this, or is it something requiring more than just a simple numerical edit?

So i also decided to run a test using the built-in C&O 2-8-4 and the boiler pressure didn't go down that much (245 psi down to 240 psi up to 245 psi again), and i also tested the Fowler 4P 2-6-4T from the Potteries Loop Line package, this time in TS12 (as compared to T:ANE, which is what i've been using) and saw the same issue: a large drop in pressure that would surely screw someone over in a timetabled scenario.

The final test i did was using the 5700 Class 0-6-0T again, this time with the Automatic Fireman setting turned on. This time, the pressure went down to around 160 psi (down from 190 psi) but slowly raised back up to 190 psi, allowing me to travel between two stations while still keeping my boiler pressure in check. That said, this is a shunting locomotive...am i really expected to sit around for 5-7 minutes in between every single shunting move? Sure, going from station to station is fine, but stopping and starting every two minutes or so would get tedious with this issue in tow.

In the end, it seems to be both a Trainz issue and an enginespec issue...which does motivates me at least a little to experiment with changing enginespec specifications. That begs the question: is there a specific parameter that applies to boiler pressure? I mean, that's a stupid question...there has to be, but even then, is there a way to change this boiler pressure reduction to a more acceptable amount, like with the C&O 2-8-4? Like i said, i've never had this drop in pressure happen in MSTS or Railworks, and if it did go down, i was always able to build up the pressure back to an acceptable measure. So is there a value in the enginespec data that controls this, or is it something requiring more than just a simple numerical edit?

Best to have a look here, http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Tune_a_Steam_Locomotive_Enginespec

After reading the wiki article you sent, Malc, i read over it and did some editing to the 5700 Class's enginespec, most notable fiddling with the values "boiler-efficiency", "boiler-efficiency-idle", "boiler-efficiency-min", "blower-effect", and "blower-max-flow"...all of which have not made a difference in the way the locomotive performs. I still get a large reduction in boiler pressure, which requires building up pressure while running.

I'm stuck in a rut here. Are there more values i have to play with? Is this just how the game expects steam locomotives to be driven? I really don't know how to fix this at this point, other than to give every steam engine affected the 2-8-4's enginespec...but that's completely nonsensical.

Have you tried out 'Universal steam e-specs 09' by Billegulla on the DLS? It's <KUID2:81997:51009:3> and has a link in the config file to a Microsoft Office Excel spreadsheet file that you download and can then use to 'fine-tune' the e-specs of steam engines.

Alright, i'm looking at the spreadsheet...what does this do exactly? Am i supposed to look at engines of similar specs to the VR locomotives mentioned here and use the values from the VR locomotives for the ones i'm editing?

Alright, i'm looking at the spreadsheet...what does this do exactly? Am i supposed to look at engines of similar specs to the VR locomotives mentioned here and use the values from the VR locomotives for the ones i'm editing?

No. You simply replace a VR locomotive (or any other locomotive) and input the number of cylinders, drive wheel diameter, boiler pressure, cylinder bore and stroke. You need to input these into the cells with the writing in bold at the top of the spreadsheet. After inputting those numbers, a series of calculations will result in the numbers that goes into the 'Motor' section of the steam locomotive enginespec. I will note that you will need to clone the enginepec. If not, any steamer that uses this enginepec will be affected by the changes. It's also a good idea to read the 'Read Me' included in the e-spec when you download it.

So i've run into some issues...there are four values i can't figure out.

C5nImZ4.png

All four of those values are (or may be) wrong for this locomotive, and i don't exactly know what they mean. I figured out what "Bore" and "Stroke" mean, but calculating them requires information i don't think i have...if anyone could help me find out what these values would be for skipper1945's 2251 Class 0-6-0 then i'd at least be able to test the values the spreadsheet throws back at me.

So i've run into some issues...there are four values i can't figure out.

C5nImZ4.png

All four of those values are (or may be) wrong for this locomotive, and i don't exactly know what they mean. I figured out what "Bore" and "Stroke" mean, but calculating them requires information i don't think i have...if anyone could help me find out what these values would be for skipper1945's 2251 Class 0-6-0 then i'd at least be able to test the values the spreadsheet throws back at me.

Easier than you might think, mostly these details are on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2251_Class

R is an arbitrary value used by Billegulla changing it can improve things quite a lot. sw vol is auto calculated based on the other values, don't need to worry about that.

Did you remember to replace the loco in surveyor after you edited the config.txt, I forgot last time I did a engine file and had a loco going three times as fast as it should.

Bore = Diameter of cylinder
Stroke = How far the piston moves back and forth in the cylinder
R = I'm not certain, but I believe a constant representing losses in pressure and friction.
I always change R to 0.600, as this is used by my go-to website for specs on steam locomotives in their 'Steam Designer' program, which comes up with the tractive effort listed on the same website when inputting the values I've listed previously (drive wheel diameter, boiler pressure, number of cylinders, cylinder diameter (bore) and cylinder length (stroke)). This same program also gives you the top speed of the locomotive, which will also come in handy in the enginespec, though you'll have to convert it to meters per second. However, you'll need Java to run the program. Also, if you want to make a 1/8th scale model of a steam locomotive, and you want the listed specs to be 1/8th the size of the prototype, this program will come in handy.

EDIT:
Just remembered, Java will not work with Microsoft Edge, which I included in Windows 10. However, it will work with Internet Explorer and other browsers. However, if you have Microsoft Edge, click on ' . . . ' at the top of the page and you'll see 'Open in Internet Explorer'. Clicking on that will allow you to see websites that you're currently viewing in Internet Explorer, and then you can use Java. If you want to use 'Steam Designer', go to steamlocomotive.com, select 'Builders/Specs' at the top of the page, move your mouse over 'Specifications', and select 'Steam Designer'.

Last edited:
The Billegulla spreadsheet is fine if you want a vastly overpowered loco which will never run out of steam - otherwise it is nonsense I'm afraid.

As Malc says, the 2251 and the 57xx specs are both for TC3 and there were some significant changes in TS12 SP1. I have an updated 57xx spec here which I have obviously forgotten to upload. The 2251 won't take much to alter so I'll add it to my list.

A bit of blower when the loco is standing will keep the boiler pressure up.

Alright, i look forward to the updates. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: So i took 2995valiant's advice and set the blower up 1 notch before moving...and voila, no loss of pressure! I really can't believe it was that simple...whatever, i'm thankful to have found a fix.

Last edited:
Bill's Fock's spreadsheet is based on in game testing of several locos probably back in tS09 days. But mostly based on empirical data. His R parameter is used to set the maximum HP output of the locomotive. I've explained this in more detail in other posts but essentially it sets the speed at which the max hp is produced. So 0.6 would be 60% of the loco's top speed which he assumes to be speed in mph is equal to the drive wheel diameter in inches - an old rule of thumb. I have my own spreadsheets based mostly on therory - simplified mechanics and thermodynamics. Bill and I both found Trainz espec produce too much power if you blindly input the actual engine characteristics and dimensions. We both use a reduced swept cylinder volume to reduce power output of the locos

Bill's spreadsheet provides an easy means to come up with an espec but it needs to be followed by some or alot of in-game testing to tweek it.

I wrote a reply to this thread several days ago and since it's continued along this far I guess I let you have it here:
Hello, all.

I've been running some British steam locomotives (most notably from Skipper1945 and the Potteries Loop Line crew) and i've noticed one big issue: when starting off, whether the cutoff is at 15% or 75% or anywhere in between, i get a drop in boiler pressure of about 40-50 psi. I don't know if this is an isolated issue, but seeing as this happens to all of the locomotives i've driven recently, each with differing enginespecs, i can't help but think that it's not the enginespecs causing the problem.

I've driven steam locomotives in both MSTS and Railworks, and neither of those games have this issue. I've also tried a variety of adjustments, like starting with a lower cutoff and a lower regulator setting, or starting with a low cutoff and a high regulator setting; nothing works. I always have a large boiler pressure that ends up never getting back to where it started, thus deeming steam locomotives inoperable in most cases. I even had one time, driving a Fowler 4F, where as soon as i opened the regulator at all, the boiler pressure steadily dropped without stopping, until i was down to 1 psi.

Does anyone know of a fix for this issue? I'd prefer not to have to go into each and every engine to edit it's enginespec, but if that is the problem then i guess i have to. If not, has anyone else seen this and/or fixed it?
IMO it is an espec problem. Opening the throttle should not cause a drastic drop in pressure. Especially if the loco is near operating temp and has water in the boiler.

I don't experience this with the especs I develop. I usually make my own espec for every steam loco I like to run (and can open and edit the loco's config) from Peter P-M's DHR and SRRL 2 ft ng locos to Ben Neals C&O H8 and USRA 2-8-8-2. I spend the most time in Ben's EBT 2-8-2 heavy class (reskinned for nos 16-18). In my driving experience in Trainz, I get fairly realistic power output, safety valve operation, fuel consumption and boiler pressure simulation.

But I've found you won't get it by just inputting the locos listed characteristics. Clearly IMO there is something wrong with the steam simulation in the game. This is their 2+ try at it and they didn't get it right yet. I base my espec mainly on 1st principles using fairly simple calculations of mechanics and thermodynamics. There has to be an energy balance of work preformed with heat energy released from the fuel based on the efficiencies I assign. Water evaporated in the boiler has to balance with steam consumed in the cylinders.

The enthalpy of the steam is a known quantity vs pressure for saturated steam or pressure and temperature for superheated steam, so the energy transfer and steam flow are tied together. I think you'll find steam flows in most especs are kind of a guessed at quantity. I calculate the flow required to deliver the necessary energy to the cylinders and then design the boiler (within the limitations of the Trainz simulation) to supply it.

From a lot of testing I know that the Trainz simulation produces way to much power and IMO the best way to work around it is to design a steam loco that is about 50 - 60% the size of the real loco. Another trainzer Bill Fock aka Billegulla, who has since passed on and missed, came to the same conclusion. He didn't take it as far as I do in designing the whole boiler but his range of reduction in cylinder size was even greater than mine. Accept it or not the especs work and give a good simulation for just about everything except water consumption. Which has it's own problems anyhow.

Bob Pearson

PS. Initially the boiler has a specified pressure, temperature, water volume and steam mass as determined by parameters in the espec. All volume downstream of the throttle valve ie. the piping, reservoir if one, steam chest, valves and cylinders are at atmospheric pressure. When you open the throttle initially steam flows to fill this path up to the cylinders until equilibrium is reached and flow stops. Steam only flows into the cylinders when the reverser lever is moved from it's 0 position (forward or reverse).

Just based on comparing volume of the boiler volume above the water and volume down stream of the throttle valve you would not expect a large drop in pressure. A typical 2 cylinder espec should have about 2 to 2.2 times the swept volume of 1 cylinder as the volume filled when the throttle only is opened. A typical boiler at 70% full on the gauge probably has about 87% of the boiler volume filled with water. So just 13% is left for steam. That's still around 4 or 5 times the volume of steam that's lost to the flow when you open the throttle the 1st time. At least that's what it should be and it's typical for most of my especs.

Assuming the 4 to 1 ratio and no temp change: P1/P0 = V0/V1 = 4/(4+1) = 4/5 = 0.8 for this case and you get 20% drop max. There may be some more due to condensation of saturated steam in the external piping and chest/valves, but with superheated steam this is usually little or none. However as the pressure drops new stream will be evaporated even if you dump the fire at that instance (fireless steam loco is the best example of this). Only the latent heat for change of state is required and it is pulled from the large quantity of water at the now elevated temp for the current steam pressure. Initially in the boiler the water and steam are at same temp. A final equilibrium condition is reached with the boiler at a slightly lower water temp and corresponding steam pressure. So overall I'd expect to see some but not much drop in BP.

If you don't see this happening then the espec is not set up correctly.

There a few anomolies in the Trainz steam simulation that can compound the problem. In the espec you can force more stream in boiler than would normally exist at a given temperature for saturated conditions. In game you can force water into the boiler and raise the pressure while it is sitting still but when running it it appears to decrease boiler temperature and decreases the pressure. It's not apparent to me that the change in volume of liquid water in the boiler vs temperature is actually simulated in the game. And we have no control over the temperature of the water being forced into the boiler whether by pumps with or without feedwater heaters or injectors with live or exhaust steam. Is that appropriate for a simulation like this?

They say significant changes haven't been made in the steam physics simulation from TS10 thru TANE but I have not done any extensive test in TANE, TANE sp1 or sp2.

@Zec
Essentially Trainz doesn't properly model loss of steam when either the regulator or safety valves are closed. Hence the boiler pressure doesn't drop overly quickly when the fire is cold (it generally will be when the session starts, as the loco is at idle).
It can do a fair job if you get the "boiler-heat-loss" parameter right. Unfortunately there is little info/documentation provided by the people that developed the whole thing. I'd think it should be related to heat loss per unit surface area per unit time. Something like Watts/sq meter (btu/sqft/hr in imperial units). Except we don't input boiler surface areas. But clearly it does vary with boiler size in the game. I now base it on boiler volume using V x 0.2015 and that's simply based on empirical testing. I don't see how they could design the simulation and not know what happens at each step of the process. They should know what each param represents and valid ranges for them IMHO.

Back to Today:
Alright, i look forward to the updates. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: So i took 2995valiant's advice and set the blower up 1 notch before moving...and voila, no loss of pressure! I really can't believe it was that simple...whatever, i'm thankful to have found a fix.
I don't know of any real locos that routinely run with the blower on. But I'm sure some where some time some loco did it. Yes to build up pressure while sitting idle. Or with locos that don't steam well they might need a bit of help but these are exceptions.

Espec needs to be fixed.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited:
Now that i think of it, in MSTS the blower is consistently kept at a value of 20% when running normally, so it definitely makes a difference...i re-ran the 2251 Class using the "1-notch blower" method and was able to keep the pressure up without any issues. the 5700 Class, though, still gives me issues, which i suspect is because of the TC3-built e-spec.

Back