UK SEMAPHORE SIGNALLING GUIDE

The main problem with the semaphore signals in Trainz is that they are not registered correct for the program

Whilst I agree that they don't work perfectly I think that people ought to realise that it's still only a flipping simulator, after all they work a heck of a lot better than model railway signals. They are also a lot cheaper. I find that with a little thought and bodging most signal set ups can be correctly represented. Of course the biggest problem is with diamond crossings, which can be a pain.

If UK semaphore signals can not be made to work, which seems to be at junctions without a good distance to the next junction, then I suggest you signal that part of your route using Bloodnoks colour lights. This is an excellent system and easy to use. It must be, because I worked it out very quickly!

John

Sure I agree with you, I use the LMS Semaphores a lot on my routes as I usualy do Steam layouts, sometimes I need to put invisible signals in to help them along, the end result normaly works OK, the main problem is I,m not sure how to deal with a 3 track turn out, maybe they dint exist at that time, as a general rule I try to ovoid doing this, but eaven with some of the lights type you can get the wrong direction showing ?

But at the end of the day if it looks OK then its OK

I mostly use the GWR semaphore signals, which seem to work fine for me.
Paul, of Paulz Trainz has produced some really great Broadgauge signals for use on my B.G. layout.
These look really good, and set the correct ambiance for the time period, very well indeed.

Hi Mike, thanks for replying so well to my fairly rude reply, for which I must apologise. I am pleased that you have the sense to be a fan of the LMS!This particular company did have some early examples of colour light signals (especially distants), but if I am correct they used two separate colour lights on one post (a la semaphores) rather than using one colour light with "feathers" to denote the diverging route (branch) at junctions. I seem to remember these being used in the Normanton area until fairly recently.

Now lets all cross our fingers and hope that one of our more expert friends finds a way of transplanting semaphore arms onto Bloodnoks system!

John

I created a rule which makes semaphore signals work according to block signalling rules - ie. distants, homes and starters but I never got around to uploading it. If anyone wants a copy send me email at tonewheeljackson@gmail.com

tony

Last edited:
A couple of people mailed me over the weekend requesting the rule... bear with me it's on my home PC somewhere I'll sort it out tonight!
cheers,
tony

I created a rule which makes semaphore signals work according to block signalling rules - ie. distants, homes and starters but I never got around to uploading it. If anyone wants a copy send me email at tonewheeljackson@gmail.com

tony

aye it works alright.

i was one of the betas of it and shortly before the old forum crashed i posted screenshots of the rule at work.

drphlox

It's all covered in the tutorial. In fact the reason I haven't uploaded this to the download station yet is that I don't know how to deal with including the tutorial files in the correct way.

The rule itself has no parameters to edit. You simply load it up when you create your route in Surveyor. You use red track markers to lay down your block sections, and the rule tries to find suitable home, distant and starter signals in the block. If these are found then it takes control of the signals and off you go. If it can't find what it needs it reports an error which can be seen by 'editing' the rule.
cheers,
tony

Back