Now this is worth watching. Live video stream from the Horseshoe Curve

It's been quite a few years since I've been there. Definitely my favorite railfanning spot! It's like you're sitting in the middle of a huge train layout! :D I spend all day there with my picnic chair, a cooler for water and lunch and of course my railroad scanner. You've got to like wheel squeal though.

It's been quite a few years since I've been there. Definitely my favorite railfanning spot! It's like you're sitting in the middle of a huge train layout! :D I spend all day there with my picnic chair, a cooler for water and lunch and of course my railroad scanner. You've got to like wheel squeal though.

Wow! I surely could do that as well. We've got a couple of places that are busy, but not like this around here. When I was a lot younger, I would pedal my bike down there and watch the trains. There was a yard that was quite busy and a nice ice cream stand nearby, which had awesome sundaes and cold drinks. The two made for a great combination on those perfect Saturday afternoons.

I watched the video stream again today and saw a bit of action, but not as much as last night. I wonder if the trains are cut back some on weekends.

I wonder if the trains are cut back some on weekends.

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, you get quite a few trains early in the morning. Then about 9 AM it slacks off a bit until noon, when another rush hits. Then there's another slump until about 4 PM. Amtrak goes through around 9 AM and 5 PM. I watched from about 3:15 to 4:00 PM this afternoon and saw a mixed freight and a double stack (both at once on tracks 2 and 3 heading West). Then a single stack/UPS train went East. Oh, followed by a "helper" move, but they don't count... :p

They certainly cleared the trees out from when I was there last. You can see almost the whole curve!

Well, I was there for only 30 seconds and an NS double stack started filing past.
The trees in the background are teriffic, mind you.
Lots of tyre squeal ...

The best railfaning spots are at Cassandra RR Overlook park, Cresson Station Inn, Galitzin Tunnel Park, Rt 53 road bridge, Alto Station overpass ... The Horseshoe is a constant squealing flanges on a curve, very monotonous, hypnotizing, and you are down so low, as there is no high up viewpoint, other than the east side of the curve, torn out Glenwhite Coal& Lumber spur ... bring earplugs

Last edited:
The best railfaning spots are at Cassandra RR Overlook park, Cresson Station Inn, Galitzin Tunnel Park, Rt 53 road bridge, Alto Station overpass ... The Horseshoe is a constant squealing flanges on a curve, very monotonous, hypnotizing, and you are down so low, as there is no high up viewpoint, other than the east side of the curve, torn out Glenwhite Coal& Lumber spur ... bring earplugs

Is there a train camera setup over there we can watch from?

I'm in no position to drive to the Horseshoe Curve anytime soon.

The Station Inn

In my opinion, The Station Inn is THE place to stay for railfans in the Altoona/Johnstown area. Tom Davis is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. They are at:

http://www.stationinnpa.com/

and their webcam is at:

http://www.stationinnpa.com/railroad/webcam/

I like listening to their radio feed as well. All the places cascade mentioned above will see pretty much the same traffic as it is the same line. The Station Inn may see some RJ Corman setting off coal cars for the Irvona branch. The Alto pedestrian bridge may see some light moves from the NS Juniata shops. I don't think any of the other places have webcams as they are somewhat off the beaten paths.

Andrew

Back