Adjust object height

mikesharpe

Hi,

I have created some objects for TANE that need to be placed flat and flush on my station platforms.
The issue is they are either too low or to high for the platform.

-When sitting to low on the platform they flash and don't display correctly due to the platform trying to display through the object.
-When sitting to high they just don't look right. Obviously they sit to high off the platform base.

When using shift or control to work in smaller height increments this still doesn't help as I still require smaller increments to work with.
Is their any way I can manually adjust the height of my object without using these "locked increments settings".

Thanks,
Sharpey.

What kind of platforms are you using? I know of 3 types: As objects, as splines and as objects part of a station with loading track. Normally the latest does not allow height adjustment. If it is a spline, adjust the object you want to place to as near as possible to the level of the platform. Then adjust the height at both ends of the platform. Here you are in luck. Splines can be dialed manually by setting height in the "adjust height" box. By trial and error, set one end, use the get height tool, and apply it to the other end.
If both objects are that, objects (platform and asset), it is problematic, because adjusting one, will adjust the other. There are other technics to cope with that, but is complicated. For perfection I use spline types, even if they are superimposed over a stationary one, just for looks.

Thanks for your reply,
The Platforms are not the issue, the issue is the object I am trying to place on-top of the platform is an object not a spline object. When adjusting the height level of the object TANE only permits me to work in small increments using CTRL or shift while increasing or decreasing the height. I need to work in even smaller increments so that I can get the object the exact height just above the platform. At this time the object height is 1.5 meters. Using shift I can raise that height to 1.55 meters but thats too high. So a height of 1.53 m would be more suitable but its impossible to adjust the object to that height using shift or control. I was inquiring if there was another method that could be used.

I will try and post a screenshot later showing the issue.

Sharpey.

What kind of platforms are you using? I know of 3 types: As objects, as splines and as objects part of a station with loading track. Normally the latest does not allow height adjustment. If it is a spline, adjust the object you want to place to as near as possible to the level of the platform. Then adjust the height at both ends of the platform. Here you are in luck. Splines can be dialed manually by setting height in the "adjust height" box. By trial and error, set one end, use the get height tool, and apply it to the other end.
If both objects are that, objects (platform and asset), it is problematic, because adjusting one, will adjust the other. There are other technics to cope with that, but is complicated. For perfection I use spline types, even if they are superimposed over a stationary one, just for looks.

Using the Ctrl/Shift is the smallest increment possible ... You will just have to live with people either floating in slightly in the air, or feet sunk in concrete overshoes

@ Sharpey

If you're prepared to edit the config of the asset, you could add a "floating" tag and specify some small height offset value. To quote the Wiki description of this tag, after correcting its spelling and punctuation (tsk tsk);

floating
Type: Decimal
Desc: If specified, the 'floating' tag specifies a vertical offset, in metres, for the asset's position. This allows you to create an asset which 'floats' a certain distance off the ground.

You would need to experiment a little to see what value works for you. Realise also that such a fix will not apply on anyone else's computer since they will have the original unmodified asset on their copy of your layout.

Thanks for your reply,
The Platforms are not the issue, the issue is the object I am trying to place on-top of the platform is an object not a spline object. When adjusting the height level of the object TANE only permits me to work in small increments using CTRL or shift while increasing or decreasing the height. I need to work in even smaller increments so that I can get the object the exact height just above the platform. At this time the object height is 1.5 meters. Using shift I can raise that height to 1.55 meters but thats too high. So a height of 1.53 m would be more suitable but its impossible to adjust the object to that height using shift or control. I was inquiring if there was another method that could be used.

I will try and post a screenshot later showing the issue.

Sharpey.

Perhaps you did not gasp my solution. "If I can't go to the mountain, let the mountain come to me". As we are limited to changing height of objects, unless you do what Dinorius suggest, why not change the height of the platform? so it conforms with the height of the object? At any rate, I agree there is no easy solution, just compromises.

Thanks for all your reply's , much appreciated. I have included some pictures just to explain in more detail what is happening. As you guys suggested its about compromise and accepting it wont be perfect. :eek:
I may try what you suggested Dino and see if that works better. I realize the fix will only apply to my computer but I haven't uploaded the layout yet anyway..so if I make the changes then upload the layout to the DLC it should be ok.

Pic 1 - My 8 Car marker is flat on the platform but will produce flashing which makes it hard to see from some angles/distances.

peX1Fgb.jpg

Pic 2 - My object raised up one level using shift. Can now see it's to high and sits above the platform.
73BAC4X.jpg

Pic 3 - Platform raised up as llebrez suggested. Now covering my object marker.
J2KaKuZ.jpg

Pic 1 - My 8 Car marker is flat on the platform but will produce flashing which makes it hard to see from some angles/distances.
You probably have the mesh at height 0. You need to adjust the base of the mesh so that when it is moved in the increments that are available with the height adjust command, it ends up at the exact height you want. This won't suit every platform, of course.

So if the height of the platform is 0.63m, and the minimum adjustment available is 0.05m then your marker needs to be based at 0.03m.

Hi BuilderBob,

My object is built using sketchup and using the Ruby Exporter - In the config file I didn't see anything about mesh height, I'm assuming its some lines i need to insert into the cfg file.

But From Dino's suggestion I added the floating tag with a setting of 1.51m which seems to work perfect.

Here is the config file:
kuid <kuid2:95711:21012:1>
description "Another model created in Google SketchUp and exported to Trainz with RubyTMIX. The effective system load of this asset is 4 polygons."
username "8 car marker"
trainz-build 3.5
kind "scenery"
category-class "BR"
category-era "2010s"
category-region "US"
author "mikesharpe"
organisation
contact-email "mikesharpe@mail.com"
contact-website
license
floating 1.51

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "8_car_marker.im"
auto-create 1
}
}
light 1

thumbnails
{
{
image "thumbnail.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
}

kuid-table
{
}

Thanks,
Sharpey.

You probably have the mesh at height 0. You need to adjust the base of the mesh so that when it is moved in the increments that are available with the height adjust command, it ends up at the exact height you want. This won't suit every platform, of course.

So if the height of the platform is 0.63m, and the minimum adjustment available is 0.05m then your marker needs to be based at 0.03m.

Last edited:
Mike

So this marker thing is your own creation? Sorry, I wrongly assumed before that you were talking about an existing asset made by someone else, so I recommended editing and adding the floating tag to config.txt.

For your own creation it's better to do what BuilderBob suggested and simply raise the height of the whole object within Sketchup before exporting it to .im mesh (assuming SketchUp allows you to do that). It won't need any 'floating' tag in the config, because the height offset (a small gap between the model's Z=0 point and the base of the mesh) will be permanently built into the asset.

For example, if the base (lowest point) of your asset is currently at Z=0 in SketchUp, raising it by 0.03m will make the exported object always sit 0.03m higher than whatever value is displayed by the height adjustment tool in Surveyor. If a platform surface is 1.50m above the ground, place your marker asset and adjust its height to 1.50m according to the height tool. This puts the asset's Z=0 point at 1.50m above the ground, but the mesh's base will be at 1.53m.

I hope that makes sense.

~ Deane

p.s. And since this is your own asset, these properties will be seen by anyone else who downloads and uses the asset.

Last edited:
Hi Deane,

Yes the marker is my own creation. All good - I should have explained in more detail.
Okay, I will have to play around with Sketchup and see if I can adjust the height before exporting it to TANE.

What your saying does make sense - thanks for explaining, much appreciated. I want to eventually release them on the DL station but obviously want them working correctly before doing so.

Thanks,
Sharpey

Back