After Upgrade to T:ANE SP2-Is it time to start over?

Stewartbf6

A Brief History

I started in 2011 with TS12, I built my own Cajon Pass. starting from scratch, converting a USGS Map with MapDem, studying the expansion, etc. I suffered a lot of setbacks, but always pushed forward, eventually I outgrew my PCs power.. and then T:ANE needed more hardware, saved up, got a gaming laptop. Every major update seems too cause issues with my route, vertex breaks, checkerboard scenery, tracks dotted white lines, etc. After SP2 my route is again pretty thrashed, portals missing, track broken, etc.

I can fix it, make more progress, then next update. same process, but the question starts to occur, should I start over? The compelling reasons:

1-I know more now. Better methods, use of layers, identifying poorly performing assets, and so on.
2-Systems and Software are vastly improved.
3-Screenshots and videos of other routes,they show what can be done.
3-Understand Operations on desired route better, as well as T:ANE operation
4-Build bug free fault free route-easier to identify the offending asset.
5-Expand scope-Port of Long Beach-Barstow maybe?
6-Enjoy the Process.

I am curious to what more experienced, or other users think about pros and cons of starting over? Has anyone been at this decision point before, what did you decide and why?

Stewart

Last edited:
With the find and replace feature, removing problematic assets with newer and better designed ones is easy to do. The same system can move assets to different layers so even that can be managed with ease so that you can take advantage of layers in your route.

If your base route map is already well made and doesn't need any major modifications, don't see why you couldn't just keep and continue developing it. I'm still working, on and off, on one of my routes that was started when TRS2004 was still new and shiny. Don't know if and when it will be finished but it sure is fun getting there.

I will echo the advice of Martinvk. My current project started in 2010 in TS2010. It was upgraded to TS12, then to T:ANE, T:ANE SP1 (+HF4) and now it is in the process of being upgraded to T:ANE SP2. Each time it has been improved with better scenery assets (especially speed trees amongst others), track (in particular, procedural track) and new session rules. The terrain has remained unchanged - I never went to the 5m grid.

After 7 years I have decided that it is high time it graduated and made its own way in the world. It will be released after final SP2 testing has been completed.

I am getting ready to release some routes soon, I had originally developed in TS12 and had some real terrible problems, one route became totally unusable, I got mad at NV3, when TANE came out I tried to move them over, and it made some things worse on other routes. I decided to start from scratch in TANE, and it has been a year or so, and with SP2 now out, I am close to start releasing the routes. I don't regret starting over, for me it was the right move, the new TANE routes are error and bug free, and with SP2 they proved to me it was worth starting from scratch.

Your #1 and #2 on your list were some of my biggest ones for me.

1-I know more now. Better methods, use of layers, identifying poorly performing assets, and so on.
2-Systems and Software are vastly improved.

There is only one right way for you. You have to way out the pros versus the cons and determine which way is best for you. Good luck with your Route how ever you decide to proceed.

Just updated to SP2, only to find out that all the polished brightness of Trainz A New Era disappeared, and its appearance is again the same as it was in Trainz 2004 and 2006. Fortunately, I still have the old pre-SP2 setup files to replace the present installation.

Just updated to SP2, only to find out that all the polished brightness of Trainz A New Era disappeared, and its appearance is again the same as it was in Trainz 2004 and 2006. Fortunately, I still have the old pre-SP2 setup files to replace the present installation.

What do you expect from an outdated "simulator"? trainz will never have the appearence of todays games. Easy to build your own layout and routes, thats' all. Sure, third party payware, like all other games, can make it somehow look a little nice. Trainz is not up to todays standards, whatever they say.

What video card are you using and are all your drivers up to date?

To the OP - I highly recommend you use the replace asset tools, and carry on updating things. It's a bit like house renovations, once you've done the kitchen, now the bathrooms need doing :)

Colrado71 - Are you sure you are using the same settings? Shadows, post-processing, lighting were all pretty much untouched in this update and therefore I am assuming you are seeing something different to what everyone else is seeing.

I've taken a shot in SP1 and SP2 - please advise which one you think is SP2 and what is noticeably different.

2017-06-23_113051.png

Attachments

• 2017-06-23_113051.jpg
    2017-06-23_113051.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I must admit I was wrong in my assumptions. Sorry for being so hasty in my opinion.
And here is the evidence:
tane_comparison_by_colorado71-dbdq17y.jpg

To the OP - I highly recommend you use the replace asset tools, and carry on updating things. It's a bit like house renovations, once you've done the kitchen, now the bathrooms need doing :)

Colrado71 - Are you sure you are using the same settings? Shadows, post-processing, lighting were all pretty much untouched in this update and therefore I am assuming you are seeing something different to what everyone else is seeing.

I've taken a shot in SP1 and SP2 - please advise which one you think is SP2 and what is noticeably different.

Back