Firefox Scam Adware Installer

cascaderailroad

If you see an official pop up that has a realistic looking symbol: "Firefox Critical Update" Download/Run ... Do not click on it !

I did click on it, and run ... and I am now cleaning up 19 registry intrusions, virus, PUP

There are allot of intruders presently trying to get into PC's ... Mine suddenly, ever since I clicked on that Fake Firefox Critical Update, it has been so slow, and locking up, that I will have to reinstall my OS Disc

Hi Cascaderairoad and everybody.
There are allot of intruders presently trying to get into PC's

Cascade, you are 100% correct in your above statement in regard to the increased attacks on PCs since the "Wanna Cry" virus did such worldwide damage. In the forgoing can I suggest that the purchase of a Google Chromebook as that could be used for all other operations other than gaming, therefore reducing the risk to your main PC.

With many Chromebooks now coming on to the market enabled to Duel boot into Android as well as Chrome OS, there are a large number of older "single boot" Chromebooks out there at bargain basement prices. If the US is anything like the UK at present, around one hundred and twenty dollars or so should get you a basic Chromebook for what you require.

I did read this week that sales of devices running under Chrome OS are up 68% since the "wanna cry" attack due to the fact that users of that system do not have to concern themselves with antivirus etc. However, if you do purchase a duel boot Chromebook you will have to install antivirus for the Android side as far as I am aware, or just not use it.

Hope this helps you and others.
Bill

Last edited:
There are allot of intruders presently trying to get into PC's ... Mine suddenly, ever since I clicked on that Fake Firefox Critical Update, it has been so slow, and locking up, that I will have to reinstall my OS Disc
You probably have them already, but if not, try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Spybot Search & Destroy.
They're pretty good at sniffing out most things, and both have free versions.
I run them both at least once a month.

Another good one to keep your PC healthy is CCleaner, which also has a free version.

Have used all 3 for several years.
It might save you having to reinstall the OS.

Smiley.

If I bought a gaming laptop as a secondary PC, it would never be used for anything online except for MS Updates, and Trainz ... My old "beater" laptop would be for all other stuff

I checked out CCleaner, and there seems to be various (possible fake download sites), one advertises the pro version for $39.95, and another for $29.95

I did download Spybot Search & Destroy, and I already had Malwarebytes with a free pro version test, but it will not complete updates, with the free version, so they are forcing you to buy the payware version

I use regularly use Glary Utilities, and MS Security Essentials

Last edited:
I had Spybot on my old computer but not on the new one. Could some kind soul please post a link to it.

Thanks,

Ben

Mucho thanks.

EDIT (a few minutes later):

Its a bit confusing as to what to click on to get the free version. Any hints would be appreciated.

Question: I have Malwarebytes - will it be seen as malware by Spybot (and vice-versa)? I seem to remember running into this a few years ago (or was that with Ad-aware which I no longer have)? My brain (what little is left) is turning to mush.:hehe:

Ben

Last edited:
SUPERantispyware is one of the best out there. It found stuff Malwarebytes, Msert, and Microsoft Security Essentials missed!

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) is a command line tool that searches for and removes any junkware. I have used it for years on various versions of Windows and it has never caused any adverse problems. Found at bleeping computer.com. HerdProtect is another freeware scanner that utilises the virus data bases of 64 different anti-virus scanners for a complete system scan. If it finds anything it is unsure about, it will search for info then ask you to run a second scan. Again, it has never done anything to corrupt windows or installed programs in any way. Found at herdprotect.com.

Bob (CRO)

Hi Every one,
Yup there are some busy beavers out there trying to hijack your computers.
I got suckered into clicking on what looked like a news article on Facebook, turned out to be a fake Ad that took me to a fake Microsoft Page warning me all sorts of nasty things had happened to my computer. Fortunately I was smart enough to stop and think things through. First the website address had nothing to do with Microsoft and Microsoft will never invite ordinary Windows users to ring their experts who will talk the user through securing your computer ( In other words come on Mug let us download our nasty stuff! )
Fortunately I was running Firefox with the NoScript add-on which stops scripts running. Just to be safe I ran several malware and virus scans but they all came up clean.
Also I use my old Lab Rat laptop for browsing the web and avoid using imported accounts or credit cards on it.

Lindsay :confused:

I keep getting an ad that says my windows drivers are out of date and click here to upgrade but nowhere on the ad does it say its from windows or microsoft so I've been ignoring it. It also doesn't give you a way of closeing it other then the closing the entire screen.

Lotsa sneaky SOB's out there, lol.

Ben

Fortunately, I have everything backed up on 2 external hard drives, and I run Trainz from 1 external hard drive that is dedicated to Trainz

So it will be a refreshing thing to re-install my OS on my laptop, starting over from scratch, a fresh clean slate

Fixing my present OS and files is hopeless, as it is unknown just how many thousands of malware, adware, virus codes have been secretly hidden away by hackers, on my PC

Is it true that if one has a MAC (an Apple tablet, laptop) that you can not get virus, malware, Trojans ... etc ?

I should have one of those anyway, for general surfing the web, going places that no one should go, on a 3rd PC

Last edited:
Is it true that if one has a MAC (an Apple tablet, laptop) that you can not get virus, malware, Trojans ... etc ?

I should have one of those anyway, for general surfing the web, going places that no one should go, on a 3rd PC

No it isn't true, just less likely, so few people use Macs so that isn't much of a target, Ipads and such can be hacked, Google claim Android and Chrome OS can't be hacked, that won't last for ever though.
Rather than wasting money on an overpriced toy such as a tablet, stick Linux on your old laptop, I use 64 bit Mint Linux on an old Toshiba Equium L40 156 Laptop, Core Duo, 80GB drive, 2GB Ram and it's fine for just browsing the web. Works better than the 32 bit Vista it came with.

Question: I have Malwarebytes - will it be seen as malware by Spybot (and vice-versa)? I seem to remember running into this a few years ago
No, I've used both for years, and they get on well with each other, with each occasionally finding something that the other missed, so well worth having both.

I checked out CCleaner, and there seems to be various (possible fake download sites), one advertises the pro version for $39.95, and another for $29.95
CCleaner is made by Piriform, so the download you want is from here:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

I did download Spybot Search & Destroy, and I already had Malwarebytes with a free pro version test, but it will not complete updates, with the free version, so they are forcing you to buy the payware version
If you're talking about SpyBot failing to download the updates, that's a problem I quite often have with it.
It does download it eventually, you just have to keep trying.

Smiley.

Back