Trainz Content Creator's Buy Out

I fail to see this as selfish and if it is such a stupid idea then be my guest and come up with a better one until then I shall proceed with caution

In all actuality, I don't mind a few "gimme-pigs" out there. Like pware said, I have gotten a few gimme pigs want something and I have become interested and produced a new asset. It's the guys who PM me and flat out DEMAND that I make this or that that pisses me off. And I have got some PMs that have done just that. Like I OWE it to them or something.

IMHO anyone can produce assets for Trainz. If you're sitting there using a PC, then you can learn how to make stuff. The programs aren't that difficult to learn. But it TAKES TIME TO LEARN!! I believe there are a few individuals out there who want to start making a steam locomotive on their first try. Ain't gonna happen! You have to realize that it'll take time. Start with a simple building: http://trainz.christrup.net/TRS/tut5.html Then, take a few years to learn all the tricks, shortcuts, and tools before you even try to make a boxcar. No, it isn't easy. But Rome wasn't built in a day. To garner the satisfaction of making a nice asset for Trainz, it will take a lot of learning and above all, patience.

Just to put a counter view here, I don't think that "Gimmie Pigging" should be banned from the forums. Yes, some gimmie pigs have no consideration or manners, go too far and become annoying, but it is all in how the requests are made. I have seem some very polite and well presented "gimmie" requests result in new assets being produced and we have all benefited.

I don't think these two things are necessarily the same pware. Gimmie Pigging is largely viewed not as just a request, but a demand due to lack of respect or manners towards other forum members. Do I think requests and suggestions should be banned? Absolutely not. I have seen a few very good ideas come from someone with no content creation experience tossing in a suggestion or perspective here and there. What I am most concerned about are the people we deal with on a daily basis that spend all their time PMing or threading people for stuff. I see it each and every day, people trying to get anyone who knows me or other creators in our group to secure them our content outside of any permission to distribute at all. It gets ridiculous when we see someone habitually mistreat others like they are the only one that matters, yet get away like they are in the right. Take for example a recent incident of spam for creators to join a project when we watched the very same user make offhanded remarks about creators already helping him. One of the most important things I try to foster with other creators I network with, is a sense of comradery. I am more than happy to help out others who approach me respectfully, and have done so for a long time. There just becomes a point where we get tired of having to actively protect our own property from people who have taken a safe haven in this community exhibiting poor behavior. Now as for thick skin, its thicker than most haha. I just want to stand up for fellow creators and make this a pleasant place to be again.

Of course, posting assets to the DLS would be a solution (and some payware assets have eventually been legally posted to the DLS as freeware by their creators) but I appreciate that not all payware creators would be happy with that even if they were leaving Trainz for good.

Just to show that some creators are very mindful of the Trainz Community when they decide to retire, here is a post from ZapperJet made just over an hour ago in another Trainz forum.

Release whatever modifications. I don't care. You have my permission.

Anyone who wants to do stuff with the Shays has my permission to modify and release.

I don't have any interest in TRS anymore so everything will be free and open source.

Have fun:

The post included a link to the source files for his creations.

Last edited:
Hi All --

My 2 Cents --

A lot of energy is being place on this thread -- Just imagine of that energy was place on creating such a route of similar theme!

Just saying!

Ish

Last edited:
I agree with Vern's #17 "... If it's gone, it's gone - move on."

As one of the minor asset creators, I may not have the perspective of a locomotive creator but if a creator decides to withdraw their creations and they are not available anywhere else, that's the way the cookie crumbles. If you already have them, fine, you can continue to use them but don't include them in any shared route or those who don't will just end up with a load of missing dependencies. Unless they are recent creations, they are probably older and not up to the latest standards anyway. Consider it an incentive for someone else to create a newer version?

I fail to see this as selfish and if it is such a stupid idea then be my guest and come up with a better one until then I shall proceed with caution

Some people simply do not seem to understand what you are proposing. Otherwise I can not understand the "when it is gone it's gone" and "selfish" remarks. I do understand what you want to do and I think it is an excellent idea.

Basically what this boils down to is the assets will receive dual licensing in exchange for a set fee for the original rights holder. Quite funny that this usually happens the other way round. Open source software, which gets dual licensed for proprietary use for example.

In this case the creator receives a final farewell gift from the community and the community as a whole receives a valued asset ready to be updated as anyone pleases. What on earth is "selfish" about that?

What license do you have in mind for the "freed" payware by the way?

Hi All --

My 2 Cents --

A lot of energy is being place on this thread -- Just imagine of that energy was place on creating such a route of similar theme!

Just saying!

Ish

You could have spent the time it took you to write this post to fix your own website. Or does it not quite work that way when it concerns yourself?

Couldn't help but find this thread this afternoon, and even though I've only created a few pieces of content (even if they aren't all that great), I believe what the OP suggested is a fair point and one well worth considering. Now, as someone who has asked for particular items in the past, often something a little out of the ordinary, I don't think there should be a ban on gimme pigs. As Davesnow rightly pointed out, sometimes people get ideas that they get really interested in, and some of us who ask actually do so in a respectful way. What I would suggest on that is some sort of proposal/addendum to the COC to deal specifically with the ones who think they can harass content creators (blatant disrespect in my opinion, especially after the effort it takes to create a freight car, much less an actual locomotive) and repeatedly demand they make some particular piece of content.

John

With regard to gimmie pigging, it's all in the presentation. There's a world of difference between a casual, "I wonder if someone has thought to do this", and some nine year old (or, well, someone with the mentality of a nine year old) posting, "I wan' it, I wan' it now, why innit done yet" with visual impression of a Charlie Brown "wah" expression. No prizes for guessing which approach a content or route creator is likely to consider.

Update as of today I am having trouble trying to get the kickstarter approved because of issues of interpretation of kickstarter's rules. Now I am in the process of putting it under review again via phone with kickstater customer service. Also kickstarter charges a 5% fee and another 5% to 10% fee for applicable state taxes on any kickstarter dollar amount.

Last edited:
Update as of today I am having trouble trying to get the kickstarter approved because of issues of interpretation of kickstarter's rules. Now I am in the process of putting it under review again via phone with kickstater customer service.

Dude just drop it and grow up. Its been said countless times, if a certain payware asset is gone then its gone. You dont see me complaining that World of Trainz or VMD are gone. Get over it.

Dude just drop it and grow up. Its been said countless times, if a certain payware asset is gone then its gone. You dont see me complaining that World of Trainz or VMD are gone. Get over it.

If this, despite your tag line, is indicative of the attitudes of the folk at TEH then I certainly wont be complaining either if/when TEH goes the way of the dodo. OK, so Constar261 may be on a losing quest or even a fools errand, but at least he is making an effort to support something that he believes in - a rare commodity these days. I wonder what is your attitude to those members of the Trainz community who recently opened their wallets and purses to keep TKI going?

If and when TEH is threatened with closure, I hope that there will be some members of the community who would see it as a valuable asset and come to its aid, financially or otherwise. But if the above post is representative of the membership of TEH then I will take a page from your play book and will not be one of them.

My thoughts only.

Agreed Pware.

Even if he didn't agree with what constar was doing, it's still an embarrassing way to act.
This community has lost so much of what it once was.
Shame.

Smiley.

Thank you Constar261 the concept was brilliant, perhaps another asset will come along that lends itself to this format of distribution but thanks for making the effort.

Gimmepigs are the ones that expect you to give them something or else. or else what i dont know but its a self-entitlement thing that is far too prevalent today. I don't mind one bit someone desiring a certain model or sheme, but when it is a self-serving demand for something they can get lost.

As far as kickstarting a buyout with the intent to host the item for free to everyone - who would put up money for something that will be free? I just don't see it gaining much steam. The only interest would be from those who want such things, which is probably only people who do not want to pay for it. Most of the time the items in question are so outdated or poor quality they may as well be reconstructed anyway.

If this, despite your tag line, is indicative of the attitudes of the folk at TEH then I certainly wont be complaining either if/when TEH goes the way of the dodo. OK, so Constar261 may be on a losing quest or even a fools errand, but at least he is making an effort to support something that he believes in - a rare commodity these days. I wonder what is your attitude to those members of the Trainz community who recently opened their wallets and purses to keep TKI going?

There is only one person who speaks for TEH, and that is I.

TEH is a conglomeration of many artists under a common umbrella, and as such, each artist is an individual and has their own opinions.

As you can imagine we are not all of the same mind or opinion on the same subject. That is just how things work out at times.

My advice would be to communicate with the artist in question on their expressed opinion.

Last edited:
A bit more diplomacy needed by some on here when criticising things one does not agree with rather than the flaming type posts we seem to get these days....
Mind you this forum is paradise compared to where I used to moderate ;o)

Back