Track Object : Vehicles - Cars (how to use them?)

paperpusher

paperpusher
Available for download are Track Objects which are supposedly 'running vehicles'. But when I place them on 'trackage' these items just sit there.
I would like to know how to get them to move on roads/spline roads/tracks etc.
examples of these items are:
Car 24 USA NY City Bus <kuid2:524343:6635:1>
Car 37 USA Ambulance <Kuid2:524343: 6668:1>
Carz Taxi 01 <Kuid2:447264:1167:1>
Greyhound Scenic cruise <Kuid:439337:101130>

I am surprised these items were not produced as 'Trains' which could be programmed to run as AI etc

Any clarification or help will be appreciated.

Available for download are Track Objects which are supposedly 'running vehicles'. But when I place them on 'trackage' these items just sit there.
I would like to know how to get them to move on roads/spline roads/tracks etc.
examples of these items are:
Car 24 USA NY City Bus <kuid2:524343:6635:1>
Car 37 USA Ambulance <Kuid2:524343: 6668:1>
Carz Taxi 01 <Kuid2:447264:1167:1>
Greyhound Scenic cruise <Kuid:439337:101130>

I am surprised these items were not produced as 'Trains' which could be programmed to run as AI etc

Any clarification or help will be appreciated.

These track objects are actually vehicles that will run on existing roads and can replace those that you currently see on roads. (They are not programmable, although you can find programmable vehicles as well to run on invisible track). There are many of them on the DLS. Here is what you need to know:

1. The vehicles you see running are defined in a list stored in the config.txt of a region. In CM, look at the config.txt of any region and you will see the list in two places. The first is in a list starting with car0 through car whatever with the specific car. The second list is at the bottom and is under the heading kuid-table. Each of these lists contains the same kuid numbers for the cars for that region.
2. You could clone an existing region that you usually use, give the clone a new name, then decide which vehicles you want to replace and the kuid number of the replacement. For example, you might decide that car6 is no longer needed and you would like to replace it with a vehicle with kuid number whatever. Be careful to replace car6's kuids in both lists. Make a note of the replacement kuid number. Commit the cloned region.
3. Next, for each replacement vehicle, download it from the DLS if not aleady on your PC. It has to be on your PC otherwise you will have missing dependencies.
4. Once this is done, make sure the new region has no errors or missing dependencies.
5. Now load your route, then edit route, and scroll to your new region. If all went well in surveyor and driver you will see the vehicles defined for that region including the new vehicles you swapped in.
6. As an alternative, there are existing regions on the DLS with their own set of vehicles that you could download and assign to your route. You will still have to make sure to download any missing vehicles - just look at the dependency list to see which ones you need.

Last edited:
There are other parameters related to this which you can try such as the carrate (car rate), which determines the total number of running vehicles on the route. Keep in mind that too many cars can cause performance issues.

You can also add additional cars to the list. As has been mentioned, you need to add the car in the string, the list of KUIDs and names, plus you need to add the KUID to the KUID-table below. There is a total number limit, which I think is about 30-something. If you add more than that, you may end up with no cars on your route.

A great pity CM doesn't seem to have a filter that finds Region assets easily. There's no category = Region to filter on. It's like the programmers just forgot to include that one.

I've been fixing/testing a lot of YARNish assets recently and have some comments.

1. Carz in TANE seem to go much faster than in TS12. More bizarre behaviour as well.
2. After adding some roads, it seems that you need to save the route/session and reload it for carz to appear. No idea why.
3. After adding roads, make sure that the connections are valid. i.e. if they are not then carz will disappear when they reach a fault connection.
4. Try and ensure there are loops in your road system. Helps to keep traffic levels constant.

I don't think N3V are overly interested in carz so AI is not likely to happen. It's really only background.

I've been fixing/testing a lot of YARNish assets recently and have some comments.

1. Carz in TANE seem to go much faster than in TS12. More bizarre behaviour as well.

You can alter the speed of the vehicles in the Config file of the roads, streets, and highways.

The line: traffic-speed 10 ...controls the speed, with 10 being a slow speed.

I noticed that some of the updated two lane yarn and yarnish T-intersections either have one missing spline or one that is not square with the intersection which causes the road to bend and not join the intersection properly.

Last edited:
Finding regions in CM

A great pity CM doesn't seem to have a filter that finds Region assets easily. There's no category = Region to filter on. It's like the programmers just forgot to include that one.
Easy to find regions. Just click on the column heading TYPE and the list will re-sort based on that column. Page down and you will see all the regions grouped together.

I noticed that some of the updated two lane yarn and yarnish T-intersections either have one missing spline or one that is not square with the intersection which causes the road to bend and not join the intersection properly.

These are faulty intersections which need to have the attachment points fixed.

Paul,

The YARN-ish roads and intersections are much faster than the original YARN series. The YARN-ish roads are good for highways and fast backroads while the old YARN are good for in town and more urban environments, or at least that's how I use them.

Easy to find regions. Just click on the column heading TYPE and the list will re-sort based on that column. Page down and you will see all the regions grouped together.

I know, but TYPE is an optional column heading (I think) which makes it a weak search method in my opinion. Kind Region deserves to be a Category filter in its own right. I might even put that up in the Suggestions forum where it can be officially ignored for a few more years. :hehe:

Creating custom traffic

I hope this is the right thread. My question deals with creating custom vehicles AND attaching them to an invisible road. My apologies if somewhere it is written. I have scoured the Forums, Wiki,... and have tried every keyword I can think of....Traffic, Roads, Vehicles, cars, Carz..... This has been going on for months and I give up.

OK, I have seen and read all about Region, car0, car1...., Isroad, Isfreeway, carrate, vehicle speed,...I have created a U.S. region but cannot for the life of me, get my custom vehicles into it. :confused: My biggest problem is the Config txt, I can find nowhere or what order these- car0, car1...are located.
Can someone example for me a Config txt beginning to end where I can create an invisible road or car generator (two different animals I know but I want to generate or have traveling on my roads, my own customized traffic).
All of my industries on this particular route are distribution centers of some kind. A train will unload specific goods and my custom Semi-Trucks will drive away from Dist center fully loaded and will merge into my road network.
I'm getting quite frustrated :( so PLEASE someone walk me step by step, through writing of the Cofig txt. Shucks, I wouldn't complain if someone wrote one as a Template and I just changed Kuid #s and names.
My intention is to creating reskinnable Tractors (Motive power) and trailers for many different uses...Tanker, Flat bed, Lowboy, hopper type, container, Box (53'), Reefer, Car Carrier and so on. I intend to separate attachment points so Any trailer can "Hitch" up to any tractor and act as the pivot point. I also intend to rig attachment points onto my car carriers so specific vehicles can be "loaded" fwd or backward. Those upgrades in the near future of course. Then upload to DLS for all to freely use.

Sorry this is so long.:sleep: Thank you for your patience and replies!.....T:ane SP2, Windows 10 Home

K. Lawson

Last edited:
All of my industries on this particular route are distribution centers of some kind. A train will unload specific goods and my custom Semi-Trucks will drive away from Dist center fully loaded and will merge into my road network.
That's a train, not a carz. Create your trucks as trains, lay invisible tracks to the industries and along existing roads, and run your trucks into and out of portals and through industries using invisible track just like you run trains on visible track.

My apologies for misdirecting you. I did not mean there is an actual Load action (commodity) to the trucks and by merging into my road network, I Meant that a traffic generated "Loaded Truck" customized with "pre loaded" (painted in) materials from that specific "Warehouse" and merge trucks into my actual vehicle road route (Using ATLS traffic signals at a "T" intersection...). These are actually Carz assets. I haven't decided though if my Car Carrier will, in fact, be a train that actually loads vehs. or just generate empty trucks in and "loaded" trucks out of the industry.
I need guidance on creating a config txt. That I can load my vehs onto my invisible roads (Clones of Maddy's YARN) and then have those Invisible roads, with my traffic available, loadable in most of the Regions/Routes

Thank you though for responding! It is much appreciated
Kevin

Last edited:
Back