I have a forum display problem

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
Suddenly, my forum pages seem to be based on the Chinese/Japanese versions and don't appear in the normal format that I am used to. My location is set to Australia/English.

Has anyone seen this happen, and how do I recover from it. I'm too old to learn another language.

PeterPM

edit:- I just fired up a computer I don't normally use and the forum display is the normal English one so it appears to be computer related. One factor is that this standby machine is running Win 7 Pro 64 and the troublesome one is running Win 10 Pro 64. Does this provoke any ideas?

Last edited:
Peter,
There are 2 places where your language settings appear that I know of.
- 1 is in your PC Settings/Time & Language - under Region/Language, first dropdown should be Australia. Check that English(Australia) is at the top of the list of languages at the bottom.
- 2 is here in the forum under Settings/General Settings - last item is forum language - Set this to English (US) (Settings are accessed at the top of the forum next to 'My Profile'

Otherwise, I don't know.

PS. Just noticed that now I have a problem in that my signature is not appearing despite being set to do so.

Last edited:
I just sent you an email, Peter. But it appears you have this under control. I suspect that WIn10 is messing with your head.

Bill

Railpilgrim,

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already checked those points, they were correct but I did it again and nothing has changed and the problem still exists. I even installed the Australian language download just in case Donald had changed the US language to his version. This made no difference.

One thing I haven't checked. my problem is on a Win10 machine, with no problem on my dual boot machine running Win 7. I'll restart that one to Win10, update it and see what happens.

Peter

Hi Peter,
My PC is a Win10 Pro (Version 1607 build 14393.222) This PC hasn't had the "creator's update" hit it yet.
(This should show in my signature when it works.)

Made the change, made the test and on the dual boot machine the forum is just as it should be in both OS's. It seems to be a machine specific problem. It does not appear to be a Win update problem.

On the affected machine, I have tried logging on via Edge, Google direct and also from a Google search. No change.

Any suggestions for alternative logons? Anyone?

PeterPM

Finally I fixed it without knowing why.

I changed my Windows location to UK, no forum problem. I then changed to US, again. no problem. Finally back to AUS and no forum problem at all. Looks like Windows got it's knickers in a twist. The problem persisted though 3 reboots but finally seems to have been a fleeting Windows problem.

PeterPM

Good to hear that its working again. A pity Micro$oft can't tell us why.
A bit like my signature which appears to also be working again without knowing why???

I have a confession to make. I 'solved' the problem on the machine that didn't have problem. Silly old duffer!

However, my good friend and ally, Hiballer and my new friend RailPilgrim simultaneously suggested that I reset the forum language, last choice in the forum general settings dropdown. Did this and reset from 'default' to 'English US' and my problem went away. I checked this setting on my other 'good' machine and it was set to 'default'. In 16 years I have never had to change that, it always stayed at 'default' so possibly the forum program thought I was non-English. Strange, thought I knew what I was!

Thanks, guys.

PeterPM

Back