**** Darjeeling Himalayan Railway creation team members. ****

Minor contributor checking in. PM, Email (I'll PM it if needed), or Skype all work for me.

I've done a little fiddling around with the route since TANE, (swapping trees, re-making textures, etc) but am interested in what you're thinking.

peter

Did either of you get my email? I sent a mass email out, but a lot of the addresses bounced. So, PP-M, I guess I've lost them also.

Bill

Hello Peter
I've been wondering if it had tucked neatly away or had been totally forgotten.
I'm here if there is something I can do. Send a note - I'm available.

And BTW, would you prefer a PM to get specific information ??

Last edited:
Hi Bill
Check your PM for my address change. Good hearing from you and anxious to hear what the current news is.

Guys

At this stage I am not able to provide more information on the forum. I don't have much to give anyway. Please PM me with your email address and I will add you to my list of past project members. No need to post here.

Peter

RE DHR

Hi Peter

How is life treating you. Have final got back to look at Trainz after a number of years. Been think about having another crack at The Beechy.

What is the question in regard to DHR?

Regards

Ted Stuckey
Guys

At this stage I am not able to provide more information on the forum. I don't have much to give anyway. Please PM me with your email address and I will add you to my list of past project members. No need to post here.

Peter

Ted

Good to see your post, I thought that you had gone for good.

About the DHR.

Bill (Hiballer) and I are in the process of updating the DHR for Trainz A New Era, normally referred to as T:ane.

Progress so far:-

Bill has found and added back the boards that were lopped off to make the route run-able prior to TRS2009, which has restored some of the longer sight lines. That was NOT an easy task

T:ane has what we consider to be a major fault, textures that were usable in previous versions now appear to be illuminated by searchlights. Bill is reworking the problem ones in Dave's collection, both the assets and ground textures. I have nearly completed a complete revamp of the road system which has entailed transferring the modules to a mesh library system and fixing the 'glare' problem at the same time.

The new program allows the creation of track layouts that automatically create animated junctions. With the permission of the creator, I have built the system into a replacement for the original 2ft track by Linda so we now have working junctions.

However we are trying to ensure that the DHR remains the lovable old dear that we created such a long time back so we are trying to keep any changes to the same style.

I'm afraid that none of these changes can be used in builds below the current one, we decided that the time had come to make this jump, the original program was getting a little bit too old for the new systems.

Are you thinking about a return to Trainz? Can I welcome you back?

To get the best results, T:ane does require more powerful computers than those in the past, BUT the visual effects make updating or replacing the older machines very worth while.

A personal note, my travelling days are over, old age is creeping in.

Cheers

Peter

PS, I thought about the Beechy the other day. Perhaps we could do that when the DHR is bedded down on the DLS

Last edited:
Funny you should mention the Beechy, Peter. I still have the last files we used on a thumb drive so it could be resurrected if we need it. I seem to remember someone else did it, though.

Have you noticed a strange thing happening in the forum edit window with carriage returns (Enters) not registering unless you hit two of them in succession?

A big hello to you also, Ted.

Bill

Peter, reviving the DHR in Trainz is much appreciated by me and I am sure by a lot of other Trainzers. The step to T:ANE is a wise one, even though she has her flaws, she is still gorgeous to look at. ( I am talking about T:ANE still, not about my wife but the same goes for her :) )

People.

I bet you have been thinking that the update was forgotten. Bill and I have been immersed in it for much more time than we expected. Looking back at what we proposed, we completely underestimated the time involved. In reality, what we are doing is probably equivalent to a 50% rebuild.

The current situation is:-

Bill has found and replaced the baseboards we cut out in the beginning,

Procedural track is completed and Bill has worked it into the route, not easy. The code can't handle junctions laid on a slope, so as the DHR is on a slope end to end, in some places the junctions are not procedural.

Bill is currently working through Dave's multitude of assets to 'darken them off'. Last I heard was that he was about half way through, a mind numbing job.

I have been immersed in reworking the road. What seemed a good idea at the time, loading them all into a mesh library, is still a good idea, it just took me more time than I am prepared to admit, but now I think it is nearly completed.

So far, nothing could be handed out for any other volunteers but now we do have one that someone can handle. The original intent was that the route should not be changed but as Bill has found and added back the missing board sections and as there were changes required for the addition of the track, we think that there are other changes that could be made.

1: Replace all the spot textures where T:ane has left the ground unpainted and the grid is showing.

2: As I have used a rectangular stone texture on all the replacement road side faces, the 'grass' green texture that was used to try and blend in the sloped sides no longer matches and needs to be retextured.

3: Generally go over all the route to tidy up the things that the update to T:ane affected and also respond to anything else that may be suggested.

These will be modifications to the master route so if several people want to volunteer, it would have to be a serial effort.

Any volunteers?

Pleeeez!!!

Peter

I'd say that about covers it, Peter. The updating of Dave's assets is around 70% finished now. However, none of them have been uploaded to the DLS. I will do that in batches when I'm completely finished.

Bill

Gals and guys.

The sun is shining again and Bill and I can give you something to play with.

Bill has advised that he is well into the update of Dave's assets but as none of the items on the DLS have been updated, what you have on your computer or download will work. You must have a working copy of the DHR as I am only supplying the assets that I worked on which will replace the existing components. My part of the endeavor is almost complete and I have put the files on my web site. Be warned, they are substantial and can be downloaded individually or as one ZIP file.

The web site folder will require a password so if you are interested, email me and I will supply details.

What you can expect to see is a complete road section colour corrected update packed into library mesh files, a complete replacement of the track with procedural track and ground colour changes adjacent to the roads. I have to rework the track with less reflective textures, a purely cosmetic change

Naturally, I hope that you will not find any problems but I expect I may have missed something. If you find a problem that is route/track/road related PLEASE give me the map reference (bottom left hand corner in Surveyor) so I can find the location.

I do expect some T:ane related glitches, it is not as reliable as it should be. From my experience, these could be sections of road between adjacent points disappearing but not due to missing items. You may also find that T:ane will complain that it could not find an asset even though it is visible, error free in Content Manager and selectable in the Surveyor menu.

Finally, everything is a current master copy, you can hack it/them around as much as you like, tell us (send me) what you have done but please don't distribute it. Perhaps I could build your change into the next master, provided it is not too extensive.

Peter

For those that are interested here is the link:-

ftp://darjeelingtrainz.com/latest/dhr-updates-15-4-18

The compressed files are encrypted, so if you are interested, PM me with your email address, or email me and I will supply the password. I will ignore any other PMs. There are single CDP's or one large CDP that contains all the files so you have a choice.

It is necessary that you have an current up-to-date installation of the DHR. Remember, this is T:ane we are using so although I have been using the current public version of T:ane there could still be hidden problems. I strongly recommend that you make a complete backup of your installation.

There are no guarantees!!!!

Questions and comments? Use this thread. I will probably ignore any others.

Final note:- The package includes the later procedural 2 foot track, there are things I would like to change, and as the procedural track has problems with the continuous incline of the DHR track, it only works properly on level ground, there will be updates.

Peter

Last edited:
At the moment, the link just gives me a blank page in Edge. Chrome gives me a box that wants a username as well as the password.

At the moment, the link just gives me a blank page in Edge. Chrome gives me a box that wants a username as well as the password

John,

Chrome is the way to go. I have sent you the username information you need. I think my mind had 'a blank page' as well.

Peter

Having now installed the DHR route I find I am missing two kuids. I realise the updated dmdrake assets are still to come plus one station update but I am missing two Narrowgauge items; kuid2:44700:35704:1 and kuid2:44700:100657:1. I can find no reference to these or earlier versions in the original TS12 version or on the DLS.

Two comments:

Kuid:47439:25613 SirGibby waterfall-2d. This has TS12 textures which are incompatible with TANE. They can only be changed to tga/texture.txt form, using PEV's program, if one has access to pre 3.7 content manager.

The other comment is not a grumble at the creators but at N3V. Because they limited the minimum radius at which procedural track animation works (about 30m) this means that many of the NG points because of their tighter radius, give a red circle and no animation. Tony did suggest when I originally raised this point to start the curved track with a large radius then curve it in. Much easier said than done.

Hello

Having now installed the DHR route I find I am missing two kuids. I realise the updated dmdrake assets are still to come plus one station update but I am missing two Narrowgauge items; kuid2:44700:35704:1 and kuid2:44700:100657:1. I can find no reference to these or earlier versions in the original TS12 version or on the DLS.

Same for me about the dmdrake updates and Peter items.

Waiting for news from Peter.

Regards

Manuel

Back