News from trainzkuiindex

Status
Not open for further replies.
I start a new thread to give news from trainzkuidindex to the community.

Today I update the full database. All web sites has been checked and crawled in the month except a small number of large forum.

Trainzkuidindex now that is :

• 1,360,327 copies of assets indexed from freeware web sites, DLS and built-in from main trainz versions,
  • 3,736,981 dependencies links identified,
  • 736,963 unique kuid found from previous assets copies or as dependencies, or in the text of the content of the web sites explored,
  • 209,893 unique kuid that are found in freeware web sites and that are not on the DLS,
  • 258,985 links to web pages with links to files containing assets,
  • 696 web sites explored,
  • 28,345 abandonned kuid that can be donwloaded directly on trainzkuidindex or from host web sites or that will be available to download soon.

I am currently working on a change on the web site that, I think, everybody will like very much. But that is a secret for now!

If you like trainzkuidindex, help me to promote it among your friends or in other forum. Thank's very much !

Pierre

Last edited:
May I suggest to offer more than 1-year subscriptions, e.g. lifetime?

Not so easy. If many people choose the lifetime subscription, what's will happend after several years ? This can become a time bomb ...

Pierre

Last edited:
May I suggest to offer more than 1-year subscriptions, e.g. lifetime?

That'll not help any. Think of it this way:
If everyone get the lifetime subscription, then there won't be anymore revenue to help with maintaining the database, server, bandwidth, etc. so it'll be basically a repeat as before, site will probably have to shut down.

That's probably the reason N3V got rid of their lifetime FCT subscription as it wasn't generating enough revenue

Hi all can someone please tell me how I can get a subscription for this site as I have used this site tones of times in the past
And I need it now
Please help
chris sullivan

Last edited:
It's on the right-hand side of the site when logged in cvkiwi (from memory). Failing that, go onto the KUID Search page and it will give you the option at the bottom.

Shane

• 1,360,327 copies of assets indexed from freeware web sites, DLS and built-in from main trainz versions,
  • 28,345 abandonned kuid that can be donwloaded directly on trainzkuidindex or from host web sites or that will be available to download soon.

Question,

Did you get permission from the original authors to host and redistribute these?

I know we have not been contacted in anyway regarding anything like this.

Just curious.

Chris

The site is INDEXED and not a download site, permission is not needed. The site directs you to the location the asset is available for download.

Question,

Did you get permission from the original authors to host and redistribute these?

I know we have not been contacted in anyway regarding anything like this.

Just curious.

Chris

Only abandonned kuid can be directly downloaded either from an url that is still alive (for example from Mediafire), but wich cannot be found as link in any web page, or directly from the trainzkuidindex repository if there is no still active url.
An abandonned kuid is a kuid that cannot be found anywhere : not in freeware trainz sites, not on DLS, not in built-in from trainz versions that can are on sale.
All other kuid indexed by trainzkuidindex can be downloaded only from the original trainz fan web site. For those kuid, trainzkuidindex provide only links to the page of the trainz fan web site where the file containing the kuid can be dowloaded.

As stated in the discaliming popup when you download an asset from trainzkuidindex :
You can download this asset from www.trainzkuidindex.com web site because the search engine detect that this asset is abandoned : it is no longer available in a fan site, or in download station, or in a version of Trainz still available for sale. Abandoned assets are provided with the sole aim of helping the Trainz users seeking for missing dependencies that could not be find somewhere else. If you think that this asset should not be available to download at www.trainzkuidindex.com, either because, as creator of this asset, you don't want it will be distributed by www.trainzkuidindex.com as abandoned assed, or because you think that it is available somewhere else on the Internet, please send a request to www.trainzkuidindex.com using the contact form ...
So if a creator don't want that trainzkuidindex distribute their abandonned creations, he has just to tell to trainzkuidindex, and all his assets will be marked as not downloadable at trainzkuidindex (note that this request will be accepted by trainzkuidindex only from the original creator). But before to take this decision, a creator should think to people seeking for missing dependencies ...
And of course I cannot request for prior permission from each of the thousands creators : it would be an impossible task and, after all, those creators stop to take care and to distribute their abandonnded creations, while they are still used as dependencies in other creations.
In my opinion, in a system like Trainz, where dependencies are so much vital, creator who cannot or don't want distribute any more their creations should accept that their abandonned creations fall in the 'Trainz' public domain (i.e upload them to DLS or accept that they can be downloaded at trainzkuidindex).

Pierre

Personally, I think you're going to come unstuck with the idea that if it's not available anywhere else, it automatically falls into the category of Public Domain.
That just isn't true.

Nothing should be distributed by you unless you have full permission from the author.
This community is very respectful of other people's copyrights, and I imagine you are about to get a lot of comments about it.

Nothing is public domain unless the creator has stated as much, whether they've been gone a week or a decade.

Smiley.

In my opinion, in a system like Trainz, where dependencies are so much vital, creator who cannot or don't want distribute any more their creations should accept that their abandonned creations fall in the 'Trainz' public domain
Perhaps it can't be found anywhere on the WWW because the original creator has withdrawn it from distribution and has instructed all the sites where it had been hosted to remove it. In other words, the very reason that you have chosen to declare it abandoned could be the evidence to show that it isn't.

I agree with Smileyman and Sailordan on this. You cannot assume that because a kuid cannot be found anywhere it must therefore be "public domain" and can be provided as a download from your site. You will eventually run into problems here.

As much as I admire your efforts in providing assets that cannot be found anywhere else, I would strongly recommend that you remove them unless you have permission from the original creator. If the original creator cannot be contacted then that means you do not have permission.

Opinions are not always based on fact. Fact is that you now charge for a service that offers third-party content without permission from its original creators.

And out of curiosity: how do you determine if the original creator of an asset is contacting you? What should they supply other than a convincing story?

I do love it how Trainz owners are able to nitpick in such a way that they limit themselves and others in the way they are able use the software. And yes, you guys are right when it comes to legal terms but really...don't you have anything better to do? Like...playing with Trainz for example? Or is this a forum section especially for wannabe attorneys?

I am certainly not an attorney but I cannot speak for Smileyman or Sailordan. I appreciate your attempt to bring us all back to reality but no, I am not nitpicking nor am I attempting to limit anyone's use of the software - they can use it anyway that the EULA says they can.

I was offering advice on a legal issue and yes, I am not qualified to give legal advice, in which case I was just passing on some common sense wisdom. None of us would want to see Pierre tied up in red tape or under threat of legal action so the "advice" is intended to avoid such an unpleasant outcome. It is much like telling someone about the local traffic rules. You don't have to be a lawyer to tell them that they are breaking the local parking laws or speed limits.

But I thank you for your concerns.

As I said, Pware, you are absolutely right but in my opinion ( it is my opinion and I certainly realize that other people don't agree with me ) I think it is a concern of the creator of that asset. Anyone who has copyrighted ( in every sense of the word) material on the internet should keep an eye on his/her material him/herself IF they want to restrict the use of that material. And maybe my opinion clashes with legal issues, so be it. Problem is also that such legal issues differ from country to country and since those assets are used by people all over the world this makes it even more complicated.

Add into the fact that he is charging people money to have access to items that he does not own the copyright for and you have a right proper mess.

Everyone has an opinion, but its facts that hold up and win the day.

Add into the fact that he is charging people money to have access to items that he does not own the copyright for and you have a right proper mess.

Everyone has an opinion, but its facts that hold up and win the day.

*facepalms*

Ok guys. I make changes in the trainzkuidindex site : no more abandonned assets, no more direct download from trainzkuidindex.
You don't need to call attorneys and send Men In Black from Interpol to my home to take me in jail for 150 years and ask me for millions of dollars!
You win but Trainz users lost.
It is very sad to see how a few irresponsable and selfish creators can spoil the fun of thousand Trainz users : they first make free that their creation are refrenced in thousand other assets as dependencies and after a few years they hide their creations, and invoke their precious copyright, only giving the one-finger salute to other trainz users who only try to play with a game without holes everywhere !
Be carrefull to not kill Trainz with a such negative and inefficient attitude. Since trainzkuidindex begin to crawl the web 4 years ago, more than 34,000 kuid has vanished (more than 8,000 per year). What you will do in a few years when 50% or more of the dependencies will be lost for ever ? What will think incoming players when they will download a majority of unplayable map ?
Years ago, Auran give the keys of the trainz content to the community of the creators, making possible the creation of hundred thousands assets that everybody is happy to use. But this fact make the community and the content creators accountable, equals to N3V/Auran, for the correct functioning of the game for all players and for the durability of the game.
Pierre

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back