Windows 10 creative update

Trying windows 10 creative gaming mode with the versions of trainz

Tom
It makes T:ANE run like a Rolls Royce, then there's the improved game recorder software. I didn't notice any improvement in the older versions.
cheers
Graeme

I concur with Graeme it does a nice job with background tasks and does speed things up some.

Should be activated by default, in which case it's Windows Key + G.
If it isn't you turn it on in All Settings > Gaming.

Makes zero difference to performance here by the way.

I've just received the update. How do I go about activating the new features?

Start TANE and when it is running, press Windows+G (in case you are not sure the Windows key is to the left of the left hand Alt key on most keyboards). A popup should appear (it took a few attempts) asking if you would like open the game bar. Tick the "Yes this is a game" box. The Game Bar will then appear.

Click the Settings icon (the gear wheel) on the bar and then tick Game mode for this game and Remember this as a game. Tick or untick other settings as required or not required.

You will need to restart TANE to see the effects.

I just tried it on a laptop that has a HD integrated graphics display (not recommended for TANE but what can I do?) and it does seem to make an improvement - smoother motion.

Don't expect systems with ample hardware resources to see much if any gain with game mode. Systems that see performance gains are ones that are already experiencing slowdowns due to a lack of hardware resources required for all the various pieces of software presently running.

Jack

On an i5 with series 4000 integrated graphics it gives about 5-10% better frame rates. Worth having but not earth shattering.

Cheerio John

It would be nice if I COULD get it to work. Every time I set the record games button on it defaults to off when I close Settings. Every time I access Xbox/settings/game dvd I get "Something went wrong. Try again later". I have had this problem ever since I upgraded from Win 7 and it is stiil here with the Creators update.

While you are fiddling with the new features of the Windows Creative update you may also care to review your privacy setting. If you haven't already realized many of your previous setting have been reset to their defaults as is often the case with major Windows updates. However this update enables even greater feedback to Microsoft not only about Windows but also the about programs you are running, how you are connected, your browser, and a considerable lot more little of which can be disabled. As they say there is no such thing as a free lunch, I just hope they like Trainz. Peter

I don't know if I have the Creators Update or not! I have the bar that comes up when you press Windows + G, but I cannot find 3DPaint, so I don't know for sure.
My build number is "Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393" (according to System Information)
I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me.
Thanks,
Mick

Mick, I don't think it's reached you yet as Creative I believe is Version 1703, Build 15063.xxxx but the Gaming Mode has been available for some time on your current version although poorly publicized. You can force the Creative update but all the advice suggests DON'T as its being rolled out as and when it's compatible with your hardware and a few who have tried have found themselves with faulty drivers etc. and worse off than before they started. Peter

I tried TANE in game mode and whilst playing some routes that previously were a little laggy and it seemed to improve performance.

However the game mode also kicks in when you open CM. This renders my computer more or less unusable as various menus disappear etc. Also I don't seem to be able to get my PC out of game mode after exiting TANE without restarting it which makes other programmes unusable. Because of this I have turned game mode off again.

Seems it is a good feature for playing fullscreen games but useless if you want to have game windows open alongside other windows (which as a content creator is how I normally have Trainz open).

Is there a way of having game mode only come on when a game is fullscreen?

I tried TANE in game mode and whilst playing some routes that previously were a little laggy and it seemed to improve performance.

However the game mode also kicks in when you open CM. This renders my computer more or less unusable as various menus disappear etc. Also I don't seem to be able to get my PC out of game mode after exiting TANE without restarting it which makes other programmes unusable. Because of this I have turned game mode off again.

Seems it is a good feature for playing fullscreen games but useless if you want to have game windows open alongside other windows (which as a content creator is how I normally have Trainz open).

Is there a way of having game mode only come on when a game is fullscreen?

There's an option to load the game bar for fullscreen applications that Microsoft has verified, but I'm not sure if this will work.

Mick, I don't think it's reached you yet as Creative I believe is Version 1703, Build 15063.xxxx but the Gaming Mode has been available for some time on your current version although poorly publicized. You can force the Creative update but all the advice suggests DON'T as its being rolled out as and when it's compatible with your hardware and a few who have tried have found themselves with faulty drivers etc. and worse off than before they started. Peter
Thanks Peter. It's good to know I don't have it as I have not seen any improvement in performance!
Cheers,
Mick

Back