Boy, Did I Goof . . . Again !!

Col_Klink

Gents, I can't help myself, but sometimes I get in a jam and cannot get out. I'm thankful there are some folks here who are
kind and generous to help a cripple mind. Here goes -
At one point I had gone through some built-in content and wiped them out and among them, I think, were some libraries
or rules that gave us the rotating visual of the assets in-game. Also, when you are fixing an asset and are done with it, you can view
it as you right-click it and get a rather nice picture which rotates. So, mine does neither and I'm beside myself and usually
I'm my worst enemy. Thank-you for what you do to help me.:'(

Wow, no responses? I have no idea what you did or how to fix it but I hope you are getting suggestions via PM. BTW which version of trainz are you asking about?

I think your lack of responses is because we don't understand exactly what it is that you are missing. Try to explain more clearly.
Mick

I just happened to stumble on this since I've been doing other non-Trainz stuff all day, which is rare, and finally sat at my computer.

Anyway... What did you do?

I saw something mentioned here about built-in stuff. If anything is built-in, in T:ANE, it can't be deleted. For TS12, well it I think an extend database repair might resurrect the stuff from the JA files. Outside of that, I smell a reinstall coming upon you soon(tm).

At one point I had gone through some built-in content and wiped them out and among them, I think, were some libraries
or rules that gave us the rotating visual of the assets in-game. Also, when you are fixing an asset and are done with it, you can view
it as you right-click it and get a rather nice picture which rotates. So, mine does neither and I'm beside myself and usually

Since the ability to rotate all (nearly all?) assets is a feature of the software and not the individual assets, built-in or otherwise, this sounds more like a corruption of the software (TANE) and not a deletion of built-in content.

Is there a control toggle that turns in-game asset rotation on/off?

In the absence of other better suggestions, I would be backing up all my content and reinstalling TANE.

Thanks Guys
I have one of the beta versions of TMR2017.
Here's a description I hope will help - When you have an asset that you want to get a closer look, right-click the
item in the Trainz Content. In the menu at the bottom is the caption "Review Asset". Once you press that,
the screen comes up with a rotating figure of the asset.
Also, sometimes when you just double-click the item you want to see, there is a smaller visual that comes up and many
time the asset will show (if the config says it will).

When I review the asset, all I get is a light blue screen.
Hope this helps.

Alright, here is what I've done -
First of all, Whitepass, "Auto-Create"=0 is not what happens. All of the assets have that as =1. I checked several types
of assets and they all have 1.

Also, there is no special in-game option that will enable/disable the viewing panel. It is part of the entire program.
JCitron - I can try the utility "database repair" which I really hate doing. I'll report back once it's finished.

I see very few folks who have TMR2017 which I believe is a BETA version for some reason. It really works well
until I get real curious and then break a part that is difficult to fix. Count on me to be a beta tester when the next version
comes out.

TMR2017 is not, so far a I know a beta, it is a "sub program" or alternate version of TANE specifically for model railroaders. A spur or siding if you will. With SP2 all the assets from TMR2017 will be available in TANE (the siding will rejoin the main line) :D

If I understand your problem; when you select an asset in Content Manager and right click on it it brings up the drop down menu and if you select Preview Asset it opens the preview window but does not display the asset. Is that correct?

Do you see both the blank blue field and the tan boarder on the right side?

Do you see the kuid and the assorted properties listed in the boarder on the right side?

Have you used the mouse wheel to zoom in and out with the cursor in the blue field?

Do you see the cursor in the blue field?

Is the kuid shown in the boarder the correct kuid for the asset you want to look at?

Have you checked some of the built in assets to see if they show up?

I note that you also have TANE Dlx, does the Preview Asset work in that?

If the asset is a commodity it will not preview.
If the asset is faulty it will not preview.
If the asset has missing or faulty dependencies it may not preview.

If the asset has a odd "origin" (not sure of the proper term here) the asset may be off screen high or low and you may see it if you look up or down (arrow keys) or it may show up briefly as it rotates into view. Don't click the blue field when you first open the preview so it continues to rotate if it is offset from the center. Watch for moving specks or shadows lost in the haze. Zoom out and see if the asset shows up as it rotates into view. In fooling with older assets I've see all of the above issues.

Edit: I just stumbled on this which might be a cause too https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...to-content-creators-with-lower-spec-computers

Last edited:
Normhart
Here is what I'm running on (and not by any means 'slow').

MSI Cubi2 running Win10-Pro 64bit O/S
Processor: Intel Core I7-7500U CPU @2.70 GHz - 2.9GHz
RAM: Crucial 32 GB
Supports HDMI / 4K Video
SSHD Internal 500GB (Running the W10 O/S)
SSHD External 1TB (Running TMR2017 Only)

Now, to answer your questions:
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, etc, etc.......
I've already tried everything you've mentioned to no positive result. (including a few others)
I haven't run TANE, as such, since about the Winter of last year so I cannot vouch for that answer.
I did read the linked forum thread and was impressed by what he finally figured out.
I'm still working out a few kinks and waiting for the database to rebuild. I haven't given it a chance
since this version.

Thanks sooo much for your help and soon as I let the rebuild run it's course, I will post some of the
results that make sense to me. I hope it's something simple like, Oh did I check to see if I have a
backup file with the date of "my mis-adventures" listed. We'll soon find out.

Good hunting and good luck!

BTW, I wanted to say thanks for your NG30 rolling stock, nice stuff!

:cool:

Last edited:
Re-reading and I think your problem is missing content that was built-in, this would stop the content from showing and some built-in that is in TANE is not in TNR17.

Here is my final solution: I decided to delete the TMR2017 and reinstall the TANE I had being saved in another place.
I had to get rid of the route I was working on for about a week and I really miss it since I had a good start.
I then began to reload a lot of assets I had been saving on-line for just an occasion as this. So now, with TANE only
loaded, I am progressing along slowly with the assets rebuild from the third-party folks I really like.

The "Asset Preview" and the in-game preview are working just fine and I will tell you that I will not do the crazy things
I have done currently since I have learned the do's and don'ts.
To those of you who had viable solutions to my issue, Thanks a Million. I always lately have to ask and learn from
the community since I have been doing this nearly 13 years. You would think I had figured it all out by now.
Norm: great pic from the 30ng rolling stock. I had some help getting them good enough for the uploads and also
a huge thanks to Narrowgauge for his approval on the re-make.

Here is my final solution: I decided to delete the TMR2017 and reinstall the TANE I had being saved in another place.
I had to get rid of the route I was working on for about a week and I really miss it since I had a good start.
I then began to reload a lot of assets I had been saving on-line for just an occasion as this. So now, with TANE only
loaded, I am progressing along slowly with the assets rebuild from the third-party folks I really like.

The "Asset Preview" and the in-game preview are working just fine and I will tell you that I will not do the crazy things
I have done currently since I have learned the do's and don'ts.
To those of you who had viable solutions to my issue, Thanks a Million. I always lately have to ask and learn from
the community since I have been doing this nearly 13 years. You would think I had figured it all out by now.
Norm: great pic from the 30ng rolling stock. I had some help getting them good enough for the uploads and also
a huge thanks to Narrowgauge for his approval on the re-make.

I'm glad you got yourself up and running again.

My recommendation is to download the basemapz software from MJModeler's website. (There's a link somewhere which I can't find anywhere now that I'm looking for it). If you can download and install this separate application, you can regenerate your map images for use in T:ANE.

We tried to help, which is the best part of the community, and believe me, even after 13 years for me as well, this is still a great learning experience in many ways, which is the best aspect of this program.

You are right, John. The community gets an "A". I don't monitor the forum much anymore and it's because I'd rather be
building something than looking for troubleshooting. Rarely do I finish a route but this time, I am.
I will say this though, when there comes a chance to reload everything and you have to go back to DLS and remember what
all you had as an inventory, please do what I do - every time you download a bunch of assets, don't delete them yet.
Put them in a folder on the desktop and save them. Find the website called MEGA Limited (NZ) and set up an account.
Their limit is 50GB storage. Try to label all your assets so they are easy to find and there you have it. You have your own
DLS to pick from.

I will continually thank you all for your efforts and intelligence to keep looking at the forum for those dummy's like me
who sometimes need help.
See you again soon.

You're not gonna believe this - but I have encountered another mess-up and I think I know what happened.
It is now with the Content Manager and I have just noticed the "Pick List" under the "Content" button.
I have a few short lists there and suddenly, when I was adding another list name, the game froze.
This required the "Control-Alt-Delete" method and a game re-start. System survived but the game will
freeze now each time I choose the Content Manager. It may have been a corrupt file but I haven't
added it yet. All I did was give it a name for the list and then it stopped. (not even a brake light).

Anyone out there have a clue ????

This sounds like data corruption.

Run a database repair, which is found under Developer on the top of the launcher or on the top of Content Manager.

Hi John
I tried that right after I ran the anti-virus on the game itself. That came back with no virus detected.
Now I have looked and saw that the game is locking up. When I click on the icon to start the game,
and then don't touch anything, the "X" in the top right goes grey and the game will not start.
Sooo, I cannot get to the 'Rebuild Database' to get it started.

I really don't want to re-load the whole thing again since I'm in a rebuilding phase again for the
umpteenth time. And BTW, the corrupt file that we think it is, has been in the game already for a
while. I can't imagine it would suddenly have a face. I wish I knew where it lives.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Awright !! Here's my little plan:
Inside the game folders is one that is called 'resources' and has about 20k of info.
I will take it out, put it on my desktop and save it for the re-install. (Yes, it's true...)
Remove the 12GB game and wait a few minutes.
Re-load it back once again and see if I can find the culprit by adding back one file at a time.
Somebody stop me before I fall off the deep end (or hit the rail bumper first).
I really hope this works.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

That didn't work. Soon as it was finished downloading, the main menu came up and after a few seconds,
the menu 'greyed up ' and went into the failed mode. I uninstalled that one, erased the "off-line downloaded"
package I had, went to the Main portal and am now d/l'ing the same 8Gb file fresh once more.
I don't know what infected the original file I had for many months, but it was a total fail this time
on a reload. I'll report back once I get this one done and reloaded on the PC.

Last edited:
Hi John
I tried that right after I ran the anti-virus on the game itself. That came back with no virus detected.
Now I have looked and saw that the game is locking up. When I click on the icon to start the game,
and then don't touch anything, the "X" in the top right goes grey and the game will not start.
Sooo, I cannot get to the 'Rebuild Database' to get it started.

I really don't want to re-load the whole thing again since I'm in a rebuilding phase again for the
umpteenth time. And BTW, the corrupt file that we think it is, has been in the game already for a
while. I can't imagine it would suddenly have a face. I wish I knew where it lives.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Awright !! Here's my little plan:
Inside the game folders is one that is called 'resources' and has about 20k of info.
I will take it out, put it on my desktop and save it for the re-install. (Yes, it's true...)
Remove the 12GB game and wait a few minutes.
Re-load it back once again and see if I can find the culprit by adding back one file at a time.
Somebody stop me before I fall off the deep end (or hit the rail bumper first).
I really hope this works.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

That didn't work. Soon as it was finished downloading, the main menu came up and after a few seconds,
the menu 'greyed up ' and went into the failed mode. I uninstalled that one, erased the "off-line downloaded"
package I had, went to the Main portal and am now d/l'ing the same 8Gb file fresh once more.
I don't know what infected the original file I had for many months, but it was a total fail this time
on a reload. I'll report back once I get this one done and reloaded on the PC.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Something is definitely wrong with the program. I have done a complete turnaround and deleted all I had
from the install from yesterday. I took a fresh download from the portal, (it took all night BTW) and installed
it this morning. It also had one small program to install the log-in specs and it went fine.
On the new start-up, another failure.
Now I have a knot in my stomach and don't know what to do.
If there is someone from the help desk or someone else who can help, please find me and let's find out what it is.

:'(

Back