computer problems

johnwhelan

When I turn the machine on I get stuck in BIOS and it will not even permit me to go int setup.

Suggestions please.

Thanks John

Perhaps the BIOS has stopped recognizing your system drive for whatever reason - system drive failure?

Rob.

This definitely sounds like a boot drive failure. On modern systems, the BIOS is in two parts with one part in ROM as we're used to seeing it, with another part actually existing on the hard drive called UEFI BIOS. If the UEFI BIOS is corrupt, that can cause all kinds of odd problems because the UEFI contains system settings such as boot drive configurations, power management, and a lot of the functions which used to be saved to an EEROM or EPROM.

If the machine is a desktop, take the side off and listen to the hard drive(s). If you hear any clicking or odd sounds, unlike what hard drives sound like which is a constant hum, then your drive is hosed.

If you have a laptop, you can simply put your ear on top of the laptop and listen to the drive.

Young Andrea suggested opening it up and reseating the cards. It seems to have done the trick.

My system is far too old for UEFI. I'm not even sure it has USB 2.0.

One day perhaps I'll save up.

Thanks John

John, sorry to hear of your problems. Unless you really have a faulty hard-drive or CD/DVD drive pulling down the system your machine should still boot through the BIOS even if it cannot find the OS when it gets there. First unplug the machine from the mains then everything from the machine including removing the battery if its a laptop. Ensure no CD/DVD or small USB sticks are left in the machine. Ensure that the power and any reset switch are not stuck in. Give it a few minutes, replace the battery if a laptop then re-connect to the mains. If a desktop a cabled mouse and keyboard are preferred. Now try again.

If it fails and you are not familiar with computer maintenance ask a friend/family to go on-line for you and download a manual for the laptop if appropriate or the motherboard if a desktop, the details will be printed into the motherboard. At the back of the manual all going well you should find the BIOS recovery sequence.

If you are familiar with the insides of computers I would disconnect all drives from the motherboard ideally at the motherboard end, re-seat the memory and all cables, leaving the drives disconnected for the time being and try again. If it still will not play the next task would be to flash the BIOS, not difficult and you may again need access to the Internet to download the replacement BIOS unless it a modern machine which can recover itself but perhaps a subject all on its own. Peter.

Update: Just seen your post, pleased to know your back in business. Peter

Last edited:
John, sorry to hear of your problems. Unless you really have a faulty hard-drive or CD/DVD drive pulling down the system your machine should still boot through the BIOS even if it cannot find the OS when it gets there. First unplug the machine from the mains then everything from the machine including removing the battery if its a laptop. Ensure no CD/DVD or small USB sticks are left in the machine. Ensure that the power and any reset switch are not stuck in. Give it a few minutes, replace the battery if a laptop then re-connect to the mains. If a desktop a cabled mouse and keyboard are preferred. Now try again.

If it fails and you are not familiar with computer maintenance ask a friend/family to go on-line for you and download a manual for the laptop if appropriate or the motherboard if a desktop, the details will be printed into the motherboard. At the back of the manual all going well you should find the BIOS recovery sequence.

If you are familiar with the insides of computers I would disconnect all drives from the motherboard ideally at the motherboard end, re-seat the memory and all cables, leaving the drives disconnected for the time being and try again. If it still will not play the next task would be to flash the BIOS, not difficult and you may again need access to the Internet to download the replacement BIOS unless it a modern machine which can recover itself but perhaps a subject all on its own. Peter.

Update: Just seen your post, pleased to know your back in business. Peter

I used to write the specs for computer RFPs for the Canadian government and I worked as an assembler language programmer for ten years. In fact I've been working with the things for more than fifty years now so I have a slight background in the things. Not getting past the Bios was a new one especially as it didn't let me in to the setup.

Thanks for the input.

Cheerio John

I'm sure in the old days the bios would write to the screen saying something like "boot drive not found" or words to that effect. Ben was complaining separately a few days back that his old PC wouldn't boot and I suggested he replace the MB battery but haven't heard the result.

AFAIK, those batteries are still used to power whatever memory contains the BIOS setup. So, if the normal power has been off and the battery is dead then that could be a problem. It's been a while since I played around in that area. My current MB doco mentions the battery but not the battery number. It does say if you replace it, then to wait a full minute before inserting the new one.

I do recall that it can be useful to keep a wired keyboard handy because if you have a wireless keyboard and the BIOS plays up then you will be in trouble!

We take it for granted but when you think of it the first stage of the boot sequence is that the BIOS, initializes the hardware. If it can't recognize that hardware it hovers and in this instance hangs. The BIOS knew something was plugged into the motherboard otherwise it would have ignored it but likely couldn't identify what it was. Re-seating boards, connectors etc. was enough to perhaps clean a poor contact and the BIOS could again identify the hardware. Ideally when faultfinding you remake one connection at a time and retry that way you can perhaps pinpoint the offending issue but few of us do and while we know what it was, seldom where it was. My particular interest other than Trainz is Linux and while the BIOS seldom hangs Windows frequently does when I've left a Linux formatted USB stick in a machine that Windows fails to recognize. Peter

Back