Request for recording suggestions....

Railhead001

Looking to the forum for assistance in deciding which piece of software is good for making videos of Trainz....I am familiar with Bandicam only and if anyone has that or another one they like please let me know. My budget is for around 60-80 dollars and this would be for a PC version.

RH001

If you have Windows 10 and the creators update, then Windows Game Recorder is the best and I now use Lightworks for editing, both are free.
cheers
Graeme

It's only a virtual train, what difference does it make whether it has a watermark, or what quality the recording is ? You're not going to get an Emmy for Trainz Movie Making, so use a free recording program

First off: If you examine TV and movies, you will notice that they change the view of the camera @ every 5 seconds, so viewers do not get bored with a lengthy scene. Nothing is more boring than viewing a train coming down a track from infinity focal point, taking many minutes to get to the crossing, then the horn blares so loudly blowing out your sound system, then you see and endless boring parade of 137 railcars speeding by in a blur ... Better to use free Fraps/Bandicam and import the movies into MS MovieMaker, to splice together hundreds of 5-10 second clips, making a more interesting movie ... move @ 500' down track from the crossing, and @ 200' back from the trackside, and use rotating trackside cameras which are elevated on a slight downward angle, looking down from @ a 10' height

It's only a virtual train, what difference does it make whether it has a watermark, or what quality the recording is ? You're not going to get an Emmy for Trainz Movie Making, so use a free recording program

First off: If you examine TV and movies, you will notice that they change the view of the camera @ every 5 seconds, so viewers do not get bored with a lengthy scene. Nothing is more boring than viewing a train coming down a track from infinity focal point, taking many minutes to get to the crossing, then the horn blares so loudly blowing out your sound system, then you see and endless boring parade of 137 railcars speeding by in a blur ... Better to use free Fraps/Bandicam and import the movies into MS MovieMaker, to splice together hundreds of 5-10 second clips, making a more interesting movie ... move @ 500' down track from the crossing, and @ 200' back from the trackside, and use rotating trackside cameras which are elevated on a slight downward angle, looking down from @ a 10' height

Really ???? Watermarks are of no interest but decent quality video whether virtual or not IS.....especially if I plan on releasing "how to guides" so yes quality is important and so is having more than a 10 minute limit of video as is with Bandicam's free version.....I guess details are of little concern to you but for me they make the difference and higher quality video is a definite must for that..............

Last edited:
@Railhead001,

I don't know what recording software he uses, but you might check with "acbdfaqoz". He has a number of videos about layout design and operations, and some of them are fairly long. They are all high quality.

Bob Morrison

I agree with Railhead001, quality is very important. What is the pleasure in looking at a fuzzy, jerky video.
Fraps is good but it creates gigantic files. I still haven't found the ideal recording program but I have the Creators update and will give WGR a go.
Mick

If you have Windows 10 and the creators update, then Windows Game Recorder is the best and I now use Lightworks for editing, both are free.
cheers
Graeme

Wow.........It has been awhile since I last updated my win10 machine and let's just say it took a couple of hours to do it but......I am going to try and see what I can do with the xbox game recorder app. I love the fact it gives you the choice of half hour, 1 hour, 2 hour recording times or more and the choice of quality settings. Thank you for telling me about it. I will need to check out Lightworks and see how that goes but I am satisfied with the recorder. Not to mention it does not annoy the hec out of me like the Bandicam does with its control panel.

Thank you again !

RH001

Hey there. I just stumbled across this thread. It's all about quality. Think about what people like to watch. No one enjoys a crappy quality video of anything for more than a few minutes before they turn it off. And having a watermark over a video (to me) shows that you don't take what you're doing seriously. If you want to make quality video content do it right or don't do it at all IMO. But I don't think YouTube-Trainz videos need to be in the style of a TV show. As long as what you're producing is interesting and shot halfway decently, people will watch it.

That said, I use Bandicam for my recordings and am pretty happy with the quality and user interface. I tried Fraps but was less than impressed with the quality and file formats. I edit with Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Adobe Audition and After Effects. I do this kind of work professionally as well which is why I've spent the money on it all. If you're on a budget I would at least spend the money on good recording software since the image is what people are going to be seeing the most of. I think I paid $50 for Bandicam. In terms of editing software, I think you can go on the cheaper side unless you're planning to do some advance-style edits.

If you have any other questions about the equipment I use for my videos I'm more than happy to answer any of them.

AM

Here is a perfect example of a bad set up, with overly loud clanging crossing gate bells, and a horn that will blow out your sound system ... You can spend all the money in the world on a payware professional movie making program ... but if you have no interesting style in your video composure, it is just another boring long winded waste of 1:07 minutes of a viewers time, of a train that eventually comes into view.

Watch a TV show and you will see that it is a collage of 3 - 5 second clips, all merged together ... you will bore everybody to death with 30 - 60 second clips

https://youtu.be/BMY9aU7hDcM

I want my 1:07 minutes back

https://youtu.be/3_pAQhHNiiQ

I want my 2:21 minutes back

https://youtu.be/j3aSTDy1OEo

I want my 8:15 minutes back

Last edited:
I agree with Grazlash, Windows 10 games mode (Windows +G keys) and Lightworks, both of which are free, are worth a try before spending your hard earned cash. Lightworks is a little unconventional but there are some good tutorials on their website and many more on YouTube. Peter

How does one get Windows+G to work? I have never been able to get any response from that combination of keys even with the latest Creators upgrade.

Here is a perfect example of a bad set up, with overly loud clanging crossing gate bells, and a horn that will blow out your sound system ... You can spend all the money in the world on a payware professional movie making program ... but if you have no interesting style in your video composure,

BUT if you do try and take a professional approach to it and want to see the video be more than just a bland run-by of skipping trains and do have a computer that can handle alot of details, you end up with this:

I can tell you this, there ain't NO way in hell i'm going to want to see a watermark on my video if i'm going to spend all that time making it into something worth watching.

Last edited:
Try pressing and holding the Windows-key down then pressing G.

That's what I do but nothing happens. I have discovered that in Settings I cannot activate the switch. Switch it on but it is off next time I look at Settings. I have no other problems that I know of in Windows 10 (64bit).

Ok, I tested out the Microsoft game DVR and have come away with some opinions....first the good...its free and the video quality is pretty decent.............now for the not so good. Unfortunately Microsoft seems to have "NOT" figured away to remove the mouse pointer during game play as Bandicam has. This can be a very annoying distraction if you do not constantly move the pointer off the main screen area. Next it seems Microsoft also allows pop up windows during game recording because I received a Java update notification during a test session which was extremely annoying that got recorded. But it is a free recorder.
I am probably going to purchase the full version of Bandicam just so I don't have to focus so much on where my mouse pointer is or pop up distractions.

Live/Learn

RH001

stevelerro,

What watermark are you referring to ???? If its Bandicam that is only for the free version of the software which limits you to 10 minutes of recording. The full version does not have a watermark.

Last edited:
Before you do, try the free version of FRAPS. If you want to see what it is capable of, I'm sure you have watched some of my youtube movies, author "philskene"?

The output files are enormous but, as I said in an earlier post, VirtualDub is an excellent free application for compression and editing

Before you do, try the free version of FRAPS. If you want to see what it is capable of, I'm sure you have watched some of my youtube movies, author "philskene"?

The output files are enormous but, as I said in an earlier post, VirtualDub is an excellent free application for compression and editing

Phil,

Does the mouse pointer show or have the option to be removed ?

RH001

Back