slow servers?

kowboyk1

Hi all, ive just purchased T:ANE and im downloading but the servers seem so slow.... its fluctuating between 10 and 32 hours to download... is that right??? my internet connection is fairly good, but this just seems too slow

Last edited:
Hi all, ive just purchased T:ANE and im downloading but the servers seem so slow.... its fluctuating between 10 and 32 hours to download... is that right??? my internet connection is fairly good, but this just seems too slow

hmmmm so it finished much quicker, but now i get an error with the dat file or something.....
my re-intorduction to trainz after years is not so positive....
so now im trying it all again :(

I made 3 people within N3V aware of your topic. Since it is Friday evening in Australia already, don't expect a reaction soon.
Thats all I can do.

One of the three has responded:)
Download speed is beyond our control and varies with time of day, distance and routing to the server ect,
Possibly a .bin file error?
Please retry, use google search, visit our support forums for answers.
Many thousands of people have successfully downloaded and installed so it's a case of working out what's different in this case

It's often recommended to use a download helper software (such as Free Download Manager) as it helps keep large files from breaking while downloading; especially if there are interruptions.

peter

thanks everyone for your help......

I tried again using the online installer this time and after an hour downloading i get "instillation failed: installation data checksum mismatch"

This is really frustrating.... i left Trainz years ago because it felt like it was sticky taped and superglued together, and its still as touchy as ever.... a very frustrating waste of my day and my money for a program where the onus is on the purchaser to troubleshoot basic installation....

Large downloads need a download manager that resumes properly, browsers do not resume nor it seems does N3V online downloader. It's more than likely a problem between your ISP and the routing to N3V's servers. Only takes a millisecond disconnect which although not detectable in normal use is enough to corrupt a download, download managers that resume should be able to avoid that most of the time.
It's very easy to blame the site you are downloading from when the problem could be with any of the several Networks and Servers the data passes through, none of which have anything to do with the transmitting site or the receiving ISP.
You can often improve things by changing your DNS servers from the ISP's to OpenDNS or Googles DNS.

Thanks again, guys... i think this time im in luck.... everything went much more smoothly and downloaded in only 40 minutes.... then i extracted and now its actually gotten to the point where it says its installing.

Sorry to have been so frustrated, after 8 hours of trying i was losing my mind but hopefully now its on track (excuse the pun) :)

You have to remember that the actual servers are located in the US. That means you have a lot of places for you to have bottlenecks when downloading to Australia.

When I was downloading those 8-10GB TANE alphas and betas, I used to leave my PC running all night after having disabled the "sleep" option in Windows. I have a download manager but it doesn't work with N3V downloads.

Downloading late afternoon/early evening AEST works best for me.

If you are on an ADSL link I suggest you reboot the modem before starting the download. For some reason my Internet connection gets slower over time. Maybe that clears out some buffers (storage).

Obviously, you need to check your Internet connection is back after rebooting the modem.

Back