light rail

THOMAS2000

Hey everyone
OK, so ive recently finished completely rebuiding light rail's 'Camel to Fowey' route. I am wanting to re-release it on my own website 'TrainManiacRoutes'. There is no license attatched. I checked the config file and it says "[email address removed]" This is not an email adress i recognise. Is it worth a shot, or do i PM him here? Or do i just completely wing it and upload it to my website regardless? (not recommended, i know)
Greatly appreciated, Thomas 2000

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, it's not a good idea to post an email address in a public/open forum (particularly one that's not yours).

Secondly, if you do want to try sending them a PM it may be worth having a look at their profile on here to see when they were last on here. It's not a good idea to re-release without permission from the original creator unless the original config specifically states that this is permitted.

Shane

Dear Shane
Ah OK. Just so you know, that wasnt intentional, i didnt think it was still a valid email adress, thats why i was asking,

OK then. I'll try that. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Hi Shane
I have contacted both lightrail and Trackplae (the guy who created Restormel Castle) but i do not think they will answer. Neither of them have been online since 2010. Something i have learned, with in regards to my YouTube account is that of crediting the original user. I mean, it is freeware after all and im not trying to make a profit or anything- Could this apply to Trainz?

No.
If you don't have formal permission to alter and redistribute the route, you are not allowed to do so.
So until you get a reply from them, you are not allowed to share the content.

Freeware does not make it yours.

Ahhh Oknosten, we meet again. ;)
I found a very interesting article actually, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware So yes, indeed you are quite right. What i still dont quite get to grips with, is that some people leave there licenses blank. Now, this has been explained that i should contact them anyway. Why though? Considering as the asset in question is now over 10 years old and with niether authors have any activity for the past 5 of those it just doesnt make sense to me. Does that not strike you as a little antagonizing? To add to that, what is the reason in uploading in the first place if you dont allow anyone to chop and change as they wish. As long as someone drops me a line saying they would like to use some parts of my railway videos thats OK. Again, why does such a thing as Wikimedia Commons exist? Im dragging this out, and i know im just generally being a pain in the neck here, but can you at least consider my words without looking down at me?

Ahhh Oknosten, we meet again. ;)
I found a very interesting article actually, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware So yes, indeed you are quite right. What i still dont quite get to grips with, is that some people leave there licenses blank. Now, this has been explained that i should contact them anyway. Why though? Considering as the asset in question is now over 10 years old and with niether authors have any activity for the past 5 of those it just doesnt make sense to me. Does that not strike you as a little antagonizing? To add to that, what is the reason in uploading in the first place if you dont allow anyone to chop and change as they wish. As long as someone drops me a line saying they would like to use some parts of my railway videos thats OK. Again, why does such a thing as Wikimedia Commons exist? Im dragging this out, and i know im just generally being a pain in the neck here, but can you at least consider my words without looking down at me?

Something I've learnt when it comes to Trainz is that if the license is blank it's advisable to contact the creator unless it specifically permits what you want to do which a blank license doesn't normally do. Different creators have different licenses (similar to Youtube). The issue you are likely to have isn't the modification side which is normally fine for personal use only, but if redistribution is involved then that's a different issue which does require permission unless permission has already been given either through the config or through a forum post or otherwise.

Shane

Ahhh Oknosten, we meet again.
Yup. And you are asking almost the same question again. So I guess you need a lot of things repeated before you learn them. Well... here we go:

What i still dont quite get to grips with, is that some people leave there licenses blank.
For exactly the same reason as you don't have to leave a note on your bike with the text "not for others to use as their own"; because it is implied by ownership.

Now, this has been explained that i should contact them anyway. Why though?
Because you have the wish to destribute someone else's work, don't have permission and contacting them is the obvious way to get it.

Considering as the asset in question is now over 10 years old and with niether authors have any activity for the past 5 of those it just doesnt make sense to me.
Their time not active is not relevant.
The time that they are dead is relevant in this case.
See this snippet about copyright laws:
Wikipedia said:
Typically, the duration of a copyright spans the author's life plus 50 to 100 years (that is, copyright typically expires 50 to 100 years after the author dies, depending on the jurisdiction).

what is the reason in uploading in the first place if you dont allow anyone to chop and change as they wish.
You are making a wrong assumption:
You are allowed to "chop and change it as you wish" on your own PC. You are just not allowed to redistribute it (without formal permission) as the asset is not yours.
So their reason is "so you can use and enjoy it". But again, not become owner so not act like you own it.

Im waiting bro... dont worry
Also yeah- i do learn from repetition, also by doing things, learning from mistakes (prime example being here)
I also appreciate when answers are given in the maximum of detail with any loopholes covered, thats why i keep asking. To me, theres no point saying 'No, cos the original author owns it'. That doesnt have any reasoning. Your last paragraph is the one i was looking for, It answers my question in full. But yes, it would appear im just gonna have to sit here, waiting for a reply that will never come. Thanks for the info, Thomas 2000

Back