TransDEM Google Maps Frustration

WCRULEZ

I am trying to make a Google Maps/Earth overlay for a route I want to make, but can't figure out how to do it. All the tutorials I've looked at either are not full tutorials or are to complex (can't understand the lingo). Is there any full simple tutorial on how to get an overlay? Thanks

Last edited:
I've got some basic information, which I can send you. It's not for using Google Earth overlays, however, but you can use the same procedure to download maps from the National Geologic Survey servers.

If you are interested, I will post a link here for you. This will give you the procedure I use to download maps and DEM files, and what works for me may or may not be useful for you.

I've got some basic information, which I can send you. It's not for using Google Earth overlays, however, but you can use the same procedure to download maps from the National Geologic Survey servers.

If you are interested, I will post a link here for you. This will give you the procedure I use to download maps and DEM files, and what works for me may or may not be useful for you.
John, could you share it here please as I am in the same boat trying to work out TRANSDEM.
Regards
Bob

Thanks JC, transdem is the hardest program I have ever tried to learn.

You're welcome.

Yeah it is tough, but that's because there's a lot to it. By the time you get done, you'll find you'll use only a tiny, tiny bit of the whole package at a time, and there's a routine to make the various sections work.

The hardest program I ever used was a proprietary system for typesetting text for the printing industry. The Varityper Epics 20/20 system had 6 volumes of commands plus another 2 volumes of addendum, which I only tapped the barest amount even after a week's training at their local sales office. The rest of the information came in as needed for the processes, and in the end I found that the machine and software was far more than powerful and capable than we ever thought.

So TransDEM is in that ballpark too. Once you figure out what you really need at the time, the rest of the parts come in as needed. :)

Why are you not using the built in Map Server to download the overlays direct from Google (or OSM, Yandex etc.) direct?

Suggest you take a look at the excellent tutorials the author provided for the software - it really is dead easy.

Back