Changing Hardware and (probably) Trainz Software

pitmilly

Have been running Trainz Mac 2 on a MacBook Pro with a moderate degree of success and have added about 20 route miles to the N&W Appalachian Coal route. I also downloaded TANE about 12 months ago - not even remotely successful on my existing equipment.

Am now waiting delivery on a new PC/Windows 10 desktop which (I hope) will cope with any new Trainz product for at least the next 2/3 years.

Advice please - a). I'm assuming that neither my existing T MAC2 nor TANE/MAC software will run on a PC desktop and I will have to buy new PC versions of Trainz - b). Should it be possible for me to export/import the work done on the Appalachian route in the MAC 2 format from my MacBook to my new PC rig.

Any advice, thoughts, etc. will be much appreciated.

pitmilly - You will be pleasantly surprised about the enormous strides made by Windows OS in its current guise as version 10, the Creators Edition.
The performance of PCs, particularly in gaming, is the most compelling reason for a change in operating systems and platform from your beloved Apple OS.
As you've found, even MacBook Pros are hampered by the poor selection of Graphics Cards and rendering systems available.
That might change in the next year or two, as Apple begins to pay more attention to its neglected Macintosh customers, who have been crying out for access to better gaming GPUs for years.

Your Mac version of Trainz won't run on a PC so you'll need to install a PC version, but your saved routes and sessions can be brought over by exporting them to CDP and then importing them onto your PC version of T:ANE.

Many thanks for your comments and advice. New PC received but other issues will delay setting up and getting operational - however will keep you posted on progress. Your help much appreciated.

Am now up and running(?????) Have paid for and downloaded Trainz Simulator 12 (setup files 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b and 3a. HOWEVER when I click on the main TS12 exe setup file I am taken through a series of screens that eventually ask me TO INSERT A DISC!!!!! Alternative suggestions to "browse" the other 5 setup files for the missing data yields no result.

I have to say that in comparison to the ease with which I downloaded Trainz Simulator 2 for Mac from the Apple I Store (start to finish - less than 5 minutes) this little exercise is like swimming 10 yards through treacle!!!

What am I doing wrong or what bit of glaringly obvious procedure am I overlooking.

Dang! Sorry to hear that. Suggest you post this message in the TS12 forum for greater and more specific exposure to knowledgeable TS12 Build users there.

Situation resolved. I managed to get 5 different versions of the Setup.exe file into my Download folder and even Windows 10 threw in the towel as to which of the 5 it was supposed to use to complete the loading operation. The clue is to delete everything but the original.

Am now on the not exactly flat TS12 learning curve. Everything I've read informs me that 12 and TS2Mac are one and the same but have already discovered that similar inputs can produce different outcomes!!!!! Patience, patience.

Back