Speed query

lenscab

Hi all,,,I have got my train running between industries on my route but it does not go above 40mph,,I found a speedboard (Br cast speedboard right 050mph),,but the train does not go any faster when it goes past it. Am I doing something wrong please?.
Lenscab

The train has to completely pass the sign before a higher speed becomes applicable.

Orher things that can limit the speed are the state of signals. Without a green signal, trains will usually drive a a lower speed.

I am of the impression that the directional speed board 'BR Cast Speedboard Left/Right 050mph' which you are using are passive whereas the through speed board 'BR Speedboard 050mph LHS/RHS' are active. This is because active speed board only affect traffic passing the point of placement and do not have the AI to sense the route beyond that point. If the directional speed board was to be made active it would affect all traffic passing that point which is not what you are trying to achieve you only want to affect that traffic taking the branch/siding route. The work round is to place a '050mph Invisible' (kuid:142454:23010) speed limit on the branch line/siding just beyond but close to the junction the direction speed board applies to. Peter

Last edited:
There are other issues which might affect the speed, too, though since you don't specify a route, a locomotive consist, or how much of whatever products you are carrying, I can't tell whether they would affect your situation, or not.

In Trainz, as in the real world, the amount or power per ton of train affects the speed. If the train weighs a certain amount, then it will require a specific amount of power to achieve a particular speed, and the higher the particular speed, the more power required per unit of weight of the train. So, while you may see a low powered switcher powering a long train in a yard, it is not going very fast. And if the train is going up a grade, it requires more power to achieve the speed than traveling on the level.

So, in the absence of more complete information, it cannot be ruled out that 40 mph is the maximum speed your train can go with the conditions on the route.
ns

Other things that can limit the speed are the state of signals. Without a green signal, trains will usually drive at a lower speed.

To which I would add that if you do not have any signals at all then the train will see the end of the track as a red signal and will drive accordingly.

Also remember that the "I" in "AI" really does not stand for "Intelligence". Session creators often have to get very creative with the placement of invisible signals, invisible speed signs, track marks, directional, and priority markers to smooth the operation of the trains.

Thanks for your replies and I am still struggling to find the answer, to give you more info when I play the session up on the info box on the right it says speed limit 40mph, does that mean it wont go faster till that changes and how do you change it.
Thanks
Lenscab

That speed sign: BR Cast Speedboard Right 050mph (Yellow with an arrow pointing right) is directional. It only applies to trains turning right at the next junction.

A white sign applies to all trains that pass it.

Back