WIP: Carrabassett Valley Railroad

Awesome! Any stream is a good stream. :) I'm also tinkering with the engine sounds. As you know, even engines of the same model sound a little different, some run a little faster or a little slower, or have a whine unique to a single prime mover. I'm working with that as well, and I am varying the engine sounds in some of the newer ones so each sounds a little different. Right now I'm just toying with the JR engine sounds. As such, I have a little shopping list for you whenever you have some time.

http://jointedrail.com/product/emd-16-567c-roots-engine-sound/
http://jointedrail.com/product/emd-12-645e-turbo-engine-sound/
http://jointedrail.com/product/emd-16-567d3t-turbo-engine-sound/
http://jointedrail.com/product/emd-16-645e-roots-engine-sound-2/
http://jointedrail.com/product/emd-12-645e-enginesound/

Some aren't quite correct for the unit but I'm merely trying to make each sound a little different from his peers. I may edit them back at some point at which point I will send you updates.

Delivery 2 has been finalized to 4 units. GP15-1's 721, 725, 731, and 739 are shipping north tonight. The A&SE Autumnville Shops have completed their inspections and are turning them back over to the Carrabassett Valley for operations. They will be part of the lashup for C579, a northbound coal drag. They will be interchanged over to CSX at Birmingham who will take them up to Maine. Each of these units has a slightly different engine sound, 725 and 739 in particular are quite noisy, and all of the big A&SE SD's in front of them have a different engine sound as well, so hearing all 7 go by on the way out of Autumnville South Yard was quite something. As soon as I get these shots posted I will package up these units and turn them over to Downeaster to run on home rails. First, a few preview shots, featuring my own A&SE moving them around from the shops and over to the power of C579 to be taken home.

Delivery 2 has been finalized to 4 units. GP15-1's 721, 725, 731, and 739 are shipping north tonight. The A&SE Autumnville Shops have completed their inspections and are turning them back over to the Carrabassett Valley for operations. They will be part of the lashup for C579, a northbound coal drag. They will be interchanged over to CSX at Birmingham who will take them up to Maine. Each of these units has a slightly different engine sound, 725 and 739 in particular are quite noisy, and all of the big A&SE SD's in front of them have a different engine sound as well, so hearing all 7 go by on the way out of Autumnville South Yard was quite something. As soon as I get these shots posted I will package up these units and turn them over to Downeaster to run on home rails. First, a few preview shots, featuring my own A&SE moving them around from the shops and over to the power of C579 to be taken home.

Oh that's wicked seeing them lashed up with other units! Beautiful job man I love the variety. I'm at work at the moment and will download them and post pictures as soon as I'm home!!

svx3t2.png

Four of our newest Painted GP15's trucking across Vile's Marsh bringing back two Guilford GP40's from North of the Canadian Border. This will be the next scene I tackle here. Going to be heavy on grass and dead trees. hopefully it'll turn out as good as I hope. Big thanks to Southern1581 for the four freshly painted GP15's, units 721, 725, 731, and 739. Love them!

Well I've completed the line between Flagstaff Yard and Lac Mégantic giving a strict of 34.4 miles. Also deleted the tunnel and opted for a mountain pass. Next step is completing the Yard in Lac Mégantic and doing some more detail work as that has gone by the wayside as of late. Also I will be incorporating Central Maine and Quebec Railways into the layout as we meet with them in Lac Mégantic as part of a transfer. Here are just a few shots of some movement around the line lately. Haven't figured out train numbers and schedules yet. Also I will be doing Seasonal Passenger service from Stratton Maine to Lac Mégantic as part of a Scenic Railway sort of bit.
vVOQyv.png
P4kUat.png
HyTGGB.png
3QwOPU.png
pMzTRR.png
bO1asV.png

A quick poster I made for the CBVR's seasonal passenger train, the Lâc Mégantic Limited:
4cda2fceaed21e3c188e1eee912c97a2.png

And a little something else that I've revived that may or may not see CBVR paint. ;)
5db46ccbe6e4710ebdae461a095a36b4.png

Top-notch job there Southern1581! Really coming along on that C32-8.
Keep up the great work.

P.S. Blender Rox! :hehe: (inside joke)

Last edited:
Love that Street Running and the Remote Control Signs, be surprised how many folks do not understand or have a clue about Remote Control Ops around yards.

@Southern1581.......Shout out to you, dropped some prayers for your Chin stitches, hope you are doing OK?

Thanks for the prayers Blue. I was lucky in that I didn't actually require stitches and the wound on my chin was clean enough that they were able to glue it back together. As for my collective wounds in general, they seem to be healing quite well. I'll probably be stuck with the scrapes on my hands for another week just because of where they are but the rest are healing quite quickly.

Love that Street Running and the Remote Control Signs, be surprised how many folks do not understand or have a clue about Remote Control Ops around yards.

@Southern1581.......Shout out to you, dropped some prayers for your Chin stitches, hope you are doing OK?

I have a co-worker who now works for Southwest Airlines but he worked for BNSF before getting laid off. He HATES doing remote control ops. Guess it was the fact he had to do the work of two now it's only a one man crew. He didn't like doing remote control ops. But he explained a lot of things to me, and helped me build one of my yards be lending me his guide book of all the rails in the STL Metro Area. Major junctions, yards, and industries. Actually based Carrabassett Yard of a yard I found in his little book. If it wasn't for my co-worker I wouldn't know as much as I do and the details of my railroad would be greatly impacted by my lack of knowledge.

e4dfafdee8e36c7da473a0df5a286d19.png
[/URL][/IMG]
51c177314035c750565f9df0517dac80.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Just finished building a Steel Mill, detailing again will come later. Will post some shots later, along with the finished layout of Mégantic Yard! Also need some opinions on my terraforming. Its ok but I think could be better. Again some shots will come later

020bc864dff2ba213f69f347313f942c.png
[/URL][/IMG]
2d1350dff1612f38fd6348ca6fdc9015.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Dubuc Steel Mill just outside Lac Mégantic as well as the 85% completed layout of Mégantic yard. Both took me forever to create, and are nowhere close to completion. The yard I still have to add a few tracks for the CMQR to park transferring engines at the facility. Warehouse's and the Lac Mégantic Limited's Wye to get the train turned around facility facing in the right direction. Details such as garbage, powerless, service roads, lights, signals, switches, trees, bushes grass will be added over time. I am buying a better, and more powerful computer so Im holding off on heavy detailing until I can get better FPS in surveyor. Please don't think I'm trying to rush this or my detailing skills suck my computer is underrated and can't preform well to allow me to do what I want to do.

Looking good! I'll try and get some shots of my progress on the Lac Megantic Limited skins when I get home and tinker with them some more.

9f382af71daf9791dfd45e7bac86b0ce.png
[/URL][/IMG]
7e89963df77bbc97a919f8e3f21f596c.png
[/URL][/IMG]
7e89963df77bbc97a919f8e3f21f596c.png
[/URL][/IMG]
4453a6969c0af94b8d0533ac76eba5b2_thumb.png
[/URL][/IMG]
21a99876f80fc856e3bcab556b781232.png
[/URL][/IMG]
0b45284afc20b864c58c59acf03f40f6.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Some mountain work around the Dead River Coal Mine, and Winston itself. Again I'm doing mass work before I start laying in the details as well as trying to wait for my new computer. Does it look ok? What are some tips when texturing a mountain as well as going forward with buildings slopes, hills, cliffs, and mountains in the future?

Also if anyone knows of a guide, or tutorial in better understanding signals, the placement of signals, and how to get the signals to work as properly as they should please let me know. I've been searching all day and can't find much to help me. Im beginning to think around the line I may not have a proper placement of signals.

Last edited:
A little progress on the content end of the route:

The Lac Mégantic Limited has officially been started. I have completed 3 cars of the 17 car order so far. The LML will consist of an HEP car, a single baggage car, 6 48 seat coaches, a coffee shop lounge, a diner, a dome, and an observation, not in that order. Additionally, 4 more coaches and another diner are also available in reserve for special runs or in case of maintenance needs or breakdowns. The 16 passenger cars will be named after the 16 counties in Maine, and the HEP will be named Quebec, as the railroad does reach into the province just a bit. Heading the train will be 2 of 3 rebuilt GP15-1's, known as GP15-3's. These units will be rebuilt with the 8-710G ECO prime mover, cutting down on emissions. The ECO prime mover also has a service period which is twice as long as the normal prime mover, allowing it to go 184 days between inspections. The engines are rated at 2150 hp, but they will be capped at 1500, same as what they were before, with the option to briefly disengage the power limiter when it is needed. They will also be painted in a purple, creme, and silver paint scheme to match the cars. The engines have not yet been started.

Here's a roster showing the Lac Mégantic Limited's list of cars and motive power, as well as the car names:

CBVR GP15-3 746-748

48 Seat Coaches:
CBVR 1331 ‘Piscataquis’
CBVR 1332 ‘Cumberland’
CBVR 1333 ‘Kennebec’
CBVR 1334 ‘Franklin’
CBVR 1335 ‘Androscoggin’
CBVR 1336 ‘Somerset’
CBVR 1340 ‘Sagadahoc’
CBVR 1342 ‘Lincoln’
CBVR 1344 ‘Hancock’
CBVR 1345 ‘Waldo’

Diners:
CBVR 1337 ‘York’
CBVR 1343 ‘Washington

Coffee Shop Lounge:
CBVR 1341 ‘Penobscot’

Dome:
CBVR 1338 ‘Aroostook’

Observation:
CBVR 1339 ‘Knox’

Baggage:
CBVR 1330 ‘Oxford’

HEP:
CBVR 1329 ‘Quebec’

And I might switch it up some with a few of the passenger cars just so that they aren't all 48 seat coaches and have it break up the monotony a bit, but I haven't decided yet. Anyways, there's my update, more to come.

I marked this one small spot for slight adjustment......

For Signals here are some links for you, I hope they will help.

Try this here first it might do the trick,

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?129307-Signals-101-Choosing-and-Placement

=============================================================

https://www.google.com/#q=Signal+application+for+Trainz

The last one has YTube and other guides in several sites to help on Signals.

I appreciate your kind words! Honestly I think my mountains look like garbage lol, but Ill be sure to check for abnormal dips here and there, that'll be the next task on my list of things to do!

Just an update on things, massive terrain work in progress. SP2 has really beat up my computer, its laggier than ever in both surveyor and driver, so work is very very limited. Cant even drive on my route. Also I would like to announce that I have officially joined the North American Rail Manufacturing Group or NARM! The CBVR and all its content will be hosted on their website! Please do drop by and take alook at all the great content they have up now! Just click my banner below to get to the website :)

Back