WIP: Carrabassett Valley Railroad

Here's a quick update on the CBVR in terms of both content and the route. The route has been passed off to me for me to do some work on it. I plan on holding on to it for around 2-3 months. During that time, I have a small list of projects that I want to have done before I send it back to Downeaster to continue work from his end.

I will be:
- Terraforming and adding bulk background scenery over roughly 3/4 of the route.
- Overhauling the town of Winston (when we ported it over to my machine, a lot of the Tume textures came up missing for some reason and have to be replaced).
- Completing and detailing the town of Lac Rodrigue.
- Overhauling the coal mine south of Winston.
- Completing trackside scenery as much as possible.

All of these efforts have been started, although I don't have enough done that I would consider it ready to be shown off on the forums. That will come later. I have gotten a good bit of the background tree work around Winston done, as well as a pretty decent start on the terraforming between Winston and Lac Rodrigue. Screenshots of my progress will appear here in due time, but in the mean time I am streaming a good bit of my work so if you would like to see what I am doing with the route, you can watch there, and if you only want to see the more polished screenshots of the more or less finished product, well, then you continue to hang around here.

Now, I do have something that IS ready to be shown off, and that is the first of the Carrabassett Valley SD40-2's.

These units will be numbered 1006-1027, for a total of 22 units. They are the main source of heavy haul power on the CBVR. They are also helped by SD40T-2's 1000-1005, and C32-8's 9450-9452, forming the backbone of the CBVR fleet.

Hello everyone, just a few quick shots today. Still largely doing work on background mountains and scenery so there isn't an awful lot in terms of trackside scenes ready to show off, but I did grab a few shots to get an update for you guys. I have by now finished most of the background scenery from Winston to Lac Rodrigue, although I will be making an effort to improve it as I go as I am not quite completely happy with the way it looks thus far. I have also added another project to my list in reworking all of the bridges on the CBVR system, as basically all of the ones in use right now are outdated and could definitely use an upgrade. The ones I am using to replace them are vastly better quality while maintaining a similar appearance. Anyways, here are some shots:

On a very foggy evening, a northbound coal train led by an SD40-2 and two GP15-1's traverses over a valley just south of the Canadian border.

A little while later, the train come roaring around the bend and through the crossing at Lac Rodrigue (Pardon the crossings, I'm in the middle of updating those)

And this is a little something I whipped up today. Just a simple mesh with the Carrabassett Valley script lettering and a black and white version of the logo which I can plaster on the side of basically whatever the hell I please, mainly bridges in more populated areas. The bridges over the roads in Winston will all have these as well. This one here is a bridge over the access road to the Dubuc Steel Mill.

Hope you guys enjoy

Hello all,

Put a good bit of work in on the route today. I've been working on overhauling the coal mine south of Winston. That project is going quite well and I hope to have it completed fairly soon to show you guys.

As for things that are complete and ready to be shown off, I have finally finished my skin of CBVR 1000, the first of 6 SD40T-2's. I'll finish rounding off the group sometime this weekend, just to say I have finished all of the skins for one particular model. Anyways, here she is in all her glory:

I had to do the nose striping a little differently due to the great bloody big SP light package sitting in the middle of the nose. As such the logo is a little smaller than usual and sits lower on the nose, and the stripe does not come to an apex above the logo like on other units. Overall, I think it come out quite well.

Hope you guys like the way it came out!

Last edited:
Eh, can't have everything. It's free, it has a pretty well built and thorough reskin kit with it, and with permission I can release just about anything I make off of it, so I ain't gonna argue. I will agree that I always found the snoots kinda odd looking though, especially on SD40-2's. Still, coming back to trainz now, this model is quite good and it was pretty easy to work with, so you won't hear many if any complaints from me.

I am very interested by this project, and as well as doing re-skins for the said railroad. Could anyone give me any ideas/samples for the paint scheme? I would like to try out making skins, can't make guarantees but I'd certainly try, it looks very appealing :D

I am very interested by this project, and as well as doing re-skins for the said railroad. Could anyone give me any ideas/samples for the paint scheme? I would like to try out making skins, can't make guarantees but I'd certainly try, it looks very appealing :D

I'll send you a pm with everything you need and a little something to get you started with.

Hey everyone, I went ahead and started on the first of the 7 RS-18u's in the CBVR roster:

Everything has been fixed, fixed colors, added white stripes on side, added black top to hood, added the CBVR logos on the side, and the back logo as well (the back one was a pain, it was all stretched out and I had to re-size it several times to fix it). I also added some minor weathering on the filters as well, nothing extreme yet. Speaking of weathering, I need to look up how coal dust would look affect engines like this so I can add the appropriate weathering.

If this is how you want the final model to look (minus extra weathering/changed numbers) then let me know so I will duplicate this six times and use it as a base, if there are any last minute changes you want me to make, let me know.

Thanks Southern1581 for providing me with the extra information.

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

Last edited:
Looks like you are doing really well with that skin! The blue color is off, but that's my fault (I knew I was forgetting something. Somehow I managed to forget basically the most important part. I meant to send you the RGB for the blue). The RGB is R: 117, G: 148, B:176. That'll give you more of a blue-grey color as opposed to the more French blue color you have now, and that is the correct color that I have painted all of the other CBVR units with. Since there is a great big bloody brake wheel on the front of the RS-18, I would say put the logo roundel underneath the cab windows on either side, since the scheme design leaves a huge empty space there anyway. Then put the logo on the rear of the loco in the normal place since nothing is blocking it on the back. Number placement looks good, that's probably where I would have put them.

As for the frame stripes, I ran the math. For 941 pixels, with 11 white frame stripes, you'll want both your stripe length and gap length to be 41 pixels long. The last buffer gap between the last stripe and the rear steps will be a little shorter, at 39 pixels.

Hope this helps! You're doing great so far!

Last edited:
Alright, the color looks great, so now the base colors are solid. I would recommend making the white frame stripes thinner, I'd say make them about 2/3's of their current thickness give or take. I would also recommend making the side logos smaller so they are above the battery boxes. Kinda like this:
C&NW-4602-KCMO-8-8-88.jpg

You want those roundels sitting about like that.

Also, it looks like you have your text pasted above the layer with the details. I have not yet familiarized myself with how that particular psd is set up, but, the details should be in a different layer. Instead of putting the script above the details, put them below the details in the layer you have the base colors in. This will get the details sitting above the logo and put panel lines through the letters, which will be more realistic.

Other than that, looking great! I'll try and find some samples of coal dust on locomotives for you.

Did some fixing an weathering, logos on sides reduced in size, as well as the stripes:

I need to fix some spots where weathering looks a kinda wierd due to mapping, does the dusting look right?

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

Hi again, #18 has joined the fleet, she's a bit more beat up:

I hope to finish these soon, assuming the colors and stuff is all good (such things I can change easily though) and then I would like to send the first two RS-18u's out to Downeaster207, but I don't know if the okay has been granted by TEH for that yet?

By the way, I subscribed to your channel, Downeaster :)

Cheers

Last edited:
That is some mighty fine work you've done there on those RS-18's!! Captured the look I had in mind absolutely marvelously! Excellent work, you will have mail shortly.

Insane work on the RS18's. Perfectly done up for how they'd look operating with little to no love from the maintenance department. Awesome work! Thank you very much!

Hello Donweaster, thank you for the compliment! Work will begin on the next units soon.
I really enjoyed the livestream guys, thanks for showing my re-skins!
Southern1581, you will have something in your inbox soon.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back