WIP: Carrabassett Valley Railroad

Downeaster207

A Mainer in the Midwest
Moved to a More Appropriate Category

Welcome to Carrabassett Valley in Northwestern
Maine, home to the Carrabassett Valley Railroad (CBVR)

I have been working on this route roughly for two or three months all in my free time both at home and at work (yes my job does allow me time to work on my route, I'm blessed I know). The route originally was supposed to be a short line industrial set in possibly Pennsylvania or Virginia featuring a street running scene. The original length was to be 10 miles at the absolute maximum. But things change. I am now building a monstrous route that is set in Northwestern Maine within the Carrabassett Valley region, predominantly fictional with real locations. The route runs North to South from Eustis Maine, to Lac Mégantic Quebec stretching roughly 40 miles, and then East to West from Eustis Maine to Madison Maine stretching 43 miles. I will also be creating a section running from Eustis to Rumford Maine, and then if Im not sick of it by then recreating the journey from Rumford to Portland Maine an additional 63 miles straight shot so assume its going to be longer

I stream the construction of this route on my off days via youtube just incase any of you would like to come and watch the progress. It's my fifth Trainz Route, but first full blown project I have yet to back away from and have invested a large amount of time into. I am relatively new in terms of the Trainz community but have major ambitions. I will make one thing clear though. I am young and very new to the working world, I have a career with Southwest Airlines. My career and my family will come first and I will be sure to keep those of you who possibly follow this project informed via this thread, YouTube, and other forms of social media. I am far from completion but I want to share the process of construction as I go along. I want to be very involved in the community during this process and am open to all and any advice from anyone! Please feel free to correct me, advise me, or give me tips in suggestions on how to do something, or how to better improve my over all layout.

This line for the most part is fictional. The target goal is to model the fictional aspects of the line first before I even decide to go off and create anything else in terms of Pan American's line from Rumford to Portland. Being fictional I do have in mind what I intend the railroad to operate in terms of engines

EMD GP15-1
EMD GP38-2
EMD GP40-2w
EMD SD40-2
EMD SD40T-2
EMD SW1500
GE U18B
MLW RS18u

pretty simply and pretty old. If anyone is out there and is capable of maybe producing some reskins for me, I have a general idea of what I would like to see, so if you would like your work to be shown off every week to the world on youtube and be forever mentioned please feel free to message me and let me know, I would be greatly overjoyed!

​The Backstory

In the early 50's the Maine Central Railroad expanded it's reach from Madison Maine to the Carrabassett Valley region to meet growing demands for the lumber industry. The line originally built ran exclusively from Madison to Eustis Maine, but within five years of completion a yard was built on the outskirts of the community that continued on to Rumford to further connect the Maine Central. By 1967 it was decided to extend the line to link up with Canadian Operators. This linkage would allow for Canadian freight to come down into Maine and be taken all the way to Portland to be put on ships and sent world wide. MEC would also capitalize on Maine's predominantly Tourist driven economy by operating Season passenger service from Lac Mégantic to Portland via the Carrabassett Division.

In the Late 70's during the divisions "heyday" it serviced 2 paper mills, 5 logging camps, 3 scrap yards, 14 warehouse's, 2 Saw Mill's and Maine's sole Coal Mine. Operations were kept up 24 hours of the day seven days a week except for Sunday mornings in the region. It was not until 1981 when Guilford Rail Systems acquired Maine Central, did things begin to change for the Division. The acquisition of MEC for Guilford was far from smooth on Carrabassett's end. The railroad struggles so bad that barely could turn a profit. Guilford's early history was met with Abandonments, labor unrest and strikes, and a horrible management style that would ultimately bring near death for the Carrabasett Division. Guilford began eliminating marginal low density routes. Routes like the Mountain Division, Calais Branch, and the Rockland Branch were all chopped off from Guilford's Service. Even a 16 mile stretch of track running from Lac Mégantic to Winston Maine (a fictional town) was abandoned as the railroad only ran twice a week from Lac Mégantic to Eustis. By 1991 industries along the Carrabassett Division were closing their doors due in part to the recession of 1990. In 1993 the line fell into disrepair and was limited entirely to a 10mph speed limit. This further slowed the effectiveness of shipping by railroad and most industries turned to Truck to ship their products. But being in rural Northwestern Maine proved that to be difficult for some business's. In 1995 the line itself was deemed a branch after the Salmon Lake Paper Mill Closed and was only serviced a few times a week via Rumford. A GP7 and Alco RS3 still in MEC colors were based at Carrabassett Yard just a few miles Northeast of Winston Maine. These engines serviced Sappi North Paper Mill and a local scrap dealer in Winston. The yard in Eustis was abandoned as there wasn't any need for it anymore and thus the Carrabassett hit rock bottom.

The turn of the century did not bring much to the table for the former bustling division. In 2003 the Salmon Lake Branch, the former line for the Salmon Lake Paper Mill was ripped up after the abandoned Mill burnt down. In 2006 Guilford Rebranded to Pan American Railways and sold the line to the Maine Department of Transportation. In Spring of 2007 a task force was sent out by the Maine DOT to determine the condition of their new acquisition. It was determined upon first look the line was "unfit for operation" and was closed for safety reason. Pan Am was asked to assist in the repairs that needed to be made to the line. It was agreed that Pan Am was be footing most of the bill since they were the cause of the lines poor condition. They would also be required to preform most of the repairs if they intended to continue using the line, Pan Am Agreed. It took four years, another recession, and a law suit from the Maine DOT before the restoration was complete. In 2012 a group of investors began to take a massive interest into the region. New industries were beginning to pop up within Carrabassett Valley. Despite Maine having very little in terms of Coal, a large pocket of the natural resource was discovered outside Winston Maine. A new group, the Maine Farmers and Agricultural Group was formed and based in Winston Maine. The warehouse ships locally grown blue berries and Milk from the Local Dairy, and interest to link freight from PAR to Central Maine Northern and Quebec in Lac Mégantic was shown by these investors. Even though CMQR had links to Coastal Maine this link from Eustis to Lac Mégantic was provide a quicker route from Rigby Yard to Canadian Points. In 2013 it was announced that the Carrabassett Valley Railroad would be formed and would begin operation as soon as possible.

The CBVR faced many delays in beginning operations due to the condition PAR left most of the line in despite repairs made a few years prior. The line needed to be restored to a 35mph or better operating condition to allow for great efficiency on the line. Also the yards in Eustis, Carrabassett and Lac Mégantic would need to be repaired and improved for operations. The Maine DOT and several Banks around the state approved grants to help fuel this project. As of today the CBVR has restored and renamed Eustis Yard, to Flagstaff Yard after Flagstaff Lake in Eustis. The Yard is the central operating point for all operations along the CBVR. Carrabassett Yard was refurbished and two now industries now inhabit the facility as well. Lac Mégantic's Yard sits just outside the community in Frontenac. CBVR will continue to work had in hand with CMQR and PAR in further connect Maine's rail to all of Canada.

Don't forget to look me up on youtube and you can watch the progress as it happens or over and over again

Thanks to Oknotsen for bringing to my attention about the improper placement of this topic. Screenshots after thinking about it again seems much better for this topic. Expect more screen shots to come!

fICuFb.png
1JMqwI.png
vzpNnU.png

Last edited:
Does it use 3rd party assets?

It most likely will. Almost all routes now days have at least a few 3rd party assets in them, although some are more heavy in their usage than others.

Downeaster, it looks like you are off to a fantastic start my friend. I don't know how many of those skins I can do, but I should be able to do the GP15's and the U18B's no problem, in particular the GP15 because I already have a manual bake layer made for Dave's model. Depending on your scheme of choice I might be able to do your F units as well, although I have had fits with those units in the past as I'm not especially wonderful with the curvature, so those are a maybe. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I can also make some skins for you, although I'm a little booked right now. However it seems like you really know what you want to do and your not just walking into it blindly. Sad that there is no steam though, perhaps a small heritage steamer? Could be fun.

I can also make some skins for you, although I'm a little booked right now. However it seems like you really know what you want to do and your not just walking into it blindly. Sad that there is no steam though, perhaps a small heritage steamer? Could be fun.

I appriciate the offer and would be more than happy to feature a few steam engines for limited summer passenger operations from Canada to points in Maine. As for engines to use steam is not my strong point so if it's ok I would maybe like to leave that up to you? Again the CBVR is a fictional Maine Central Line so along the lines of the Maine Central is what a heritage unit would look like

It most likely will. Almost all routes now days have at least a few 3rd party assets in them, although some are more heavy in their usage than others.

Downeaster, it looks like you are off to a fantastic start my friend. I don't know how many of those skins I can do, but I should be able to do the GP15's and the U18B's no problem, in particular the GP15 because I already have a manual bake layer made for Dave's model. Depending on your scheme of choice I might be able to do your F units as well, although I have had fits with those units in the past as I'm not especially wonderful with the curvature, so those are a maybe. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I will send you a PM when I get home. My phone is not playing too terribly nice with me right now as I'm still at work.

I will send you a PM when I get home. My phone is not playing too terribly nice with me right now as I'm still at work.

I feel your pain my friend. Watching one of your streams now, seems very interesting. You got a sub from me. Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

Nice write up on your W.I.P. Carrabassett Valley Railroad!

As a visual person, thank you for the Tile Map you provided, it helps me understand with a mental picture as to how this Route is oriented.

For others here is Youtube links for his Video overview>

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=youtube+Carrabassett+Valley+Railroad+

Keep up the great work and as you said, I encourage others to follow your Youtube overview on Construction progress. :wave:

Thank you, I love creating stories, but I have a bad tendency to ramble on about things. Your very welcome I felt you all couldn't appreciate the line for what it is without the over view. I hope to see the grey tiles go away over time! Thank you for your kind words and linking people to my youtube videos. I should be streaming again this Wednesday. Im pulling a double at work Sunday and will not be leaving Saturday as I live too far away to go home with enough time to rest so I should have plenty to show for by Wednesday or Tuesday.

Working a bit with giving the tracks a more older look. One thing I've noticed is sometimes the ties become covered over time and its just the rail left exposed on tracks that have been poorly maintained. I did this at the Kennebec Branch that leads to the Dead River Coal Mine. The Mine itself I buried a lot of the tracks and will be working to expose some of the ties just barely here and there on the way toward the tipple. Also removed a ton of the ballast placed down and replacing it with grass and dirt textures, and later tall grass that has grown over some of the trackbed. Just some minor detail work to bring some realism. It's my first attempt so please let me know if you think I could do better.

Also started and completed Flagstaff Yard, Formally Eustis Yard during the lines MEC days. Flagstaff Yard is the lines terminus point and serves as a transfer location for Pan American Railway. The yard is rather long and divided into three distinct sections. Yard Service's, Arrival Departure Tracks, and Classification Yard. Like Carrabassett Yard in Winston Maine, this yard is subject to being reworked and more than likely will. I suck at yards honestly but after eight try I finally got Carrabassett to look nice. Again if you think the yard could look better please do let me know. I would love for you all to be involved with this project as much as you can! Here are some images of my work! Let me know what you all think! Thanks

7jWT4c.png
zsexec.png
vsyOKV.png
equWLS.png
ogRVx1.png
oEpp1p.png

Engine Service's and Arrival Departure Tracks
PfXZSl.png

Classification Yard, Historical Eustis Train Station
jGcOhJ.png

Well you have been busy,

So for your worn look, one thing you might use a little of here and there, DOCK Rail's, they are rails only, no ties, essentially the one's you'd use at ports, but what I found, is I can use them in yards and other places to give that worn look, interspersed with regular rails. They should be in your Train inventory already, just type "Dock" and they should pop up.

And you want to use Grimy & Dingy rails in certain areas, Diesel Yards, places where your loco's our standing, Maintenance Yards Etc,and Texture Grime to go with it, to give it that Industrial look, such as an Oil Refinery Etc.

I have to say the way your going about it, the Waterways, all look very natural has a nice Ebb and Flow characteristic.

Great attention to detail on your Track Curves too!

The one thing you might need to be aware of, and it's easy to forget when your building a route, give yourself plenty of land space for the areas that will get a heavy build in, so easy to run out of space, and once your crowded, it becomes a pain to move stuff around to get that one last building, or whatever to fit, it will drive you banana's.

I can tell you from experience. I have had to erase a whole week's of work, because of crowding to much, or not thinking something thru thoroughly, in fact I had a Canyon Area on my Merged Route, with Power Plant, Steel Plant, Depot's for freight, once I started using it, I kept ending up with Shunting move frustrations, this last week I ripped and razed the whole area, and will redo it. its the area of 1/8 Tile, but it took several days to make, and had lots of switching tracks, but the inward flow just didn't work right I would end up in the corners doing double shunts. Too many Buildings and not enough relief Tracks.

I think they call it boxed into a corner.

For me, and this is just preference I like a little more open area than crowded, there are others who like the Route Jam Packed where there is little room to move around, it all depends on the your eye perception and needs.

BTW: I really like your Story Telling, it allows us to become a part of what this route once was.

Does it use 3rd party assets?

Well I see some of my own building assets. I did not know that my stuff is also available within the T:ANE-Standard-Version??!!

But anyway - this seems to be a nice project which is not too large. So it may does not need as much time to be compleeted than my own projects :)

Perhaps your should think about the possibility to use 3d-speed-trees rather than billboard trees.

Have fun creating your route.
Your's TUME

Well you have been busy,

So for your worn look, one thing you might use a little of here and there, DOCK Rail's, they are rails only, no ties, essentially the one's you'd use at ports, but what I found, is I can use them in yards and other places to give that worn look, interspersed with regular rails. They should be in your Train inventory already, just type "Dock" and they should pop up.

And you want to use Grimy & Dingy rails in certain areas, Diesel Yards, places where your loco's our standing, Maintenance Yards Etc,and Texture Grime to go with it, to give it that Industrial look, such as an Oil Refinery Etc.

I have to say the way your going about it, the Waterways, all look very natural has a nice Ebb and Flow characteristic.

Great attention to detail on your Track Curves too!

The one thing you might need to be aware of, and it's easy to forget when your building a route, give yourself plenty of land space for the areas that will get a heavy build in, so easy to run out of space, and once your crowded, it becomes a pain to move stuff around to get that one last building, or whatever to fit, it will drive you banana's.

I can tell you from experience. I have had to erase a whole week's of work, because of crowding to much, or not thinking something thru thoroughly, in fact I had a Canyon Area on my Merged Route, with Power Plant, Steel Plant, Depot's for freight, once I started using it, I kept ending up with Shunting move frustrations, this last week I ripped and razed the whole area, and will redo it. its the area of 1/8 Tile, but it took several days to make, and had lots of switching tracks, but the inward flow just didn't work right I would end up in the corners doing double shunts. Too many Buildings and not enough relief Tracks.

I think they call it boxed into a corner.

For me, and this is just preference I like a little more open area than crowded, there are others who like the Route Jam Packed where there is little room to move around, it all depends on the your eye perception and needs.

BTW: I really like your Story Telling, it allows us to become a part of what this route once was.

yeah I forgot the dock rails even existed. The only thing I prefer about my current rail selection is the animated rail when you switch the track. But for time sake I think it would be easier to use the dock rails. The grime rail will come in well for the engine service yard down in Flagstaff and areas in and around Lac Mégantic.

When building industrues like this and the paper mill I build the industry first before I edit the terrain unless the specific industry requires some terrain editing before hand. I don't mind personally ripping something apart that I spent ages on to get it look correct. But in the end when I add terrain features it has to fit the surrounding areas well. I will agree it is very easy to get carried away hence why I think I'll be redoing Flagstaff yard a bit. Seems too big for rural northwestern Maine. That or too long anyways. I find by looking at some areas around Maine that they crammed things into spaces versus messing with the terrain or surrounding structures too much.

I'm glad you like the back stories. I could come up with them all day long. Like I said I enjoy story telling. It brings more character to the table.

Well I see some of my own building assets. I did not know that my stuff is also available within the T:ANE-Standard-Version??!!

But anyway - this seems to be a nice project which is not too large. So it may does not need as much time to be compleeted than my own projects :)

Perhaps your should think about the possibility to use 3d-speed-trees rather than billboard trees.

Have fun creating your route.
Your's TUME

Ah so your the one with all the TUME assets! Yup I've been using them all along ever since I bought Trainz. Wouldn't build a route without them. I've been considering different tree but for the time being I'm going to stick with these. I'll give the speed trees a test during my next planting session! :)

dX35Cx.png
9ySA6t.png

IfsSxU.png
6gSuKy.png

First official units have been painted with a HUGE thanks to Southern1581 for doing such a beautiful job with these units. And the Operation Life Saver was a real surprise. Absolutely in love with them both! In the mean time I did stream today, reworked Flagstaff yard. Will be streaming again tomorrow. I finished off the yard re-work and will be beginning the work for a small branch into Eustis.

That is a very nice paint scheme. I like it. Have been trying to catchup on your videos, just discovered your channel the other day.

Back