New to Trainz, would like to find Japanese Railroad / Japanese trains?

adriankeith

Hi all,

I'm new to the Trainz world. Would like to find as many Japan Railway trains to drive as possible! Which version of Trainz should I be buying?

Thanks!

Hello,
Welcome to the forums and to the world of Trainz

As far as I know, the only Trainz game that includes some Japanese content would be Trainz Model Railroad 2017, specially made for those who like model railroads.
Trainz A New Era doesn't have any built-in Japanese content, but you can download them from the DLS. Its like the real world.

I know this may/may not help, but hopefully it'll give you an idea :)

Hello Adriankeith and welcome to Trainz! :) As Hiawathamr said Trainz Model Railroad 2017 does have some Japanese content... and for those people who want the feel of a MRR. But very soon that "content" will be available to the regular TaNE version crowd; and is our Trainz world RR simulator software. There's a recent N3V Games/Auran payware route called "Chiyoda Branch Line" https://store.trainzportal.com/collections/dlc/products/trainz-route-chiy which contains much Japanese content, and is quite well done [if not a smaller route than I had hoped it was] you might want to take a gander at! ;) And yes, can be downloaded to the regular TaNE version. Again, welcome to Trainz, and happy RR'ing :)

Last edited:
Adrian, do a search on the Download Station for the username hirochi . He made plenty Japanese trains.

Yes there are lots of Japanese train assets on the DLS if you look closely, albeit some are a few years old - but still serviceable.

Not so much in the way of routes, unfortunately. I have pondered a couple of times trying to put together a Japanese route, as someone who extensively played the old Densha de Go and SL de Ikou console sims I know there are some fascinating prototypes out there. The sticking point is, Japanese routes do present a particular challenge to the Trainz (or any other sim for that matter) builder. Urban areas are heavily built up with structures encroaching inches from the track, wires everywhere both in terms of the OLE (catenary) and external "street" wires. Out of the city things are less intense but the obstacle with the routes I looked at is the large number of tunnels, never easy to do in Trainz, lines often running on raised infrastructure over flood plains or stations inside tunnels (Seikan and Hohuhoku immediately come to mind).

However never say never and I might take a look at something later in the year.

Yes there are lots of Japanese train assets on the DLS if you look closely, albeit some are a few years old - but still serviceable.

Not so much in the way of routes, unfortunately. I have pondered a couple of times trying to put together a Japanese route, as someone who extensively played the old Densha de Go and SL de Ikou console sims I know there are some fascinating prototypes out there. The sticking point is, Japanese routes do present a particular challenge to the Trainz (or any other sim for that matter) builder. Urban areas are heavily built up with structures encroaching inches from the track, wires everywhere both in terms of the OLE (catenary) and external "street" wires. Out of the city things are less intense but the obstacle with the routes I looked at is the large number of tunnels, never easy to do in Trainz, lines often running on raised infrastructure over flood plains or stations inside tunnels (Seikan and Hohuhoku immediately come to mind).

However never say never and I might take a look at something later in the year.
(Being that you are familiar with Japanese routes) I am curious, what did you think of the new N3V Games/Auran payware route, the "Chiyoda Branch Line" ? :)

Hello Adrian

Do this for Japanese Trainz :
1) Go to DLS and type in "JNR" (without the quotes)
In the check boxes to the left, check everything from 2009 and up.
2) Check "Username" then type in "KEIMEI" or HIROCHI"
3) Type the word "Japan" and check the box 'Description.'

Much of what you see will be either 42ng & 30ng and some Std Gauge.
All of those steamers may look a little sketchy but the sure operate nicely in any version beginning with 2009 and up through TANE and TMR2017.
I have the entire collection of the 42ng steam locos and love every one.
And BTW - Don't buy anything less than TRS2012. The Trainz Brew Crew have done some major work and it shows up best in the most current versions.

Good luck. :D

Last edited:
G'day All,

I've only just found (quite by accident) these lovely Japanese steam era models by Keimei.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

There doesn't seem to be much on the DLS and the TMR17 Japan route isn't quite set up for steam era freight. Are there any other routes around that might be suitable for running this stuff? They are very nice models.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Cheers,
Piere.

As noted above, there is very little unfortunately. I don't think there has ever been much native Japanese input to Trainz unless it has been kept away from the DLS or other primary sources for Trainz stuff.

I still occasionally think about doing a Japanese route but the challengers are no different now than they were when I commented last year. However I will just repeat that I wouldn't rule out having a go at a Japanese style (as opposed to fully authentic) route at some point in the future though probably not this side of the New Year, as I already have two or three projects stacked in TRS2019.

In the meantime, this site showcases several routes that could make interesting projects:

https://travel.rakuten.com/campaign/ranking/local-train/

Last edited:
Anyone else played with Furano line and had success with it? Tried a couple sessions and got stuck.

Can't create your own session looks like point levers are at session level as wel, thought i would try the steam tourist train that runs there

Tom

One more tip I would give you is to follow the Japanese thread under "Screenshots" There are lots of references to specific routes and assets, with links to where non-DLS items can be downloaded. It would also allow you to get familiar with the folks that place a lot of emphasis on the Japanese routes and trains....

Back