Looking for a Content Hosting Site

I also agree with everyone here. Putting it on the DLS will make finding your content much easier for everyone. I really like your telegraph poles, as they're some of the more realistic ones out there, in my opinion. I also like your power lines, as they are much more realistic than the ones included in Trainz.

Some content cannot be uploaded to the DLS for various reasons such as copyright textures otherwise it's easy to do, where I can I support the DLS. TPR is fine but it takes a lot of effort to upload assets.

Cheerio John

Some content cannot be uploaded to the DLS for various reasons such as copyright textures otherwise it's easy to do, where I can I support the DLS. TPR is fine but it takes a lot of effort to upload assets.

Cheerio John

Some of my texture I use come from Textures.com. The rest, like with the signs for the IRM project I make myself. While it shouldn't be an issue for me, it is something to consider. I'll go back to being silent again.

Some of my texture I use come from Textures.com. The rest, like with the signs for the IRM project I make myself. While it shouldn't be an issue for me, it is something to consider. I'll go back to being silent again.

As long as those textures aren't being used for profit, and unless the license explicitly states otherwise, you should be alright. Just to be safe, make sure you read up on whatever EULA the textures have before you try uploading them.

Matt

As long as those textures aren't being used for profit, and unless the license explicitly states otherwise, you should be alright. Just to be safe, make sure you read up on whatever EULA the textures have before you try uploading them.

Matt

You must now undertake that the textures etc are licensed for payware when you upload to the DLS so they maybe be included in payware and DLCs. This is a change from the very early days. Windwalkr has written about it in the forums some time ago.

Cheerio John

I like your logic for putting it to a vote.

My vote is Yes - for the reasons previously stated;

I know of a site that not only stores your assets but alerts you to any faults before you upload the content. It 'talks' directly to Trainz Content Manager and therefore has a pretty good search capability. You can also search for and download assets from it via a webpage interface if you want. Another good thing is you don't need to worry about maintaining the site.

As a user of your fantastic content , and knowing you do have content already on the DSL . My vote would be yes . If Matt's route is to released ether privately or on the DSL . Your content would be easier to find , as it is a major contribution to his route, and others that I've recommended your content . But haven't been able to find . Regardless , Thanks for allowing the input

Matt

As a user of your fantastic content , and knowing you do have content already on the DSL . My vote would be yes . If Matt's route is to released ether privately or on the DSL . Your content would be easier to find , as it is a major contribution to his route, and others that I've recommended your content . But haven't been able to find . Regardless , Thanks for allowing the input

Matt
my route will be released when it's finished and yes Scott's content has been a big factor in my route, but while he has done a lot there is still more work to be done between me and him.

I vote yes - the DLS is where I go to get what I need and where I post things I have made. It is the best place to share content in my opinion.

David

Thanks to everyone that voted. Since there are no "No" votes that I can find, I guess this thread has gone from a voting poll to a support post. I will be making an announcement on this sometime on Friday. Thanks again for those who took the time to post! :)

I would like to clarify my vote
Since there are no "No" votes that I can find, I guess this thread has gone from a voting poll to a support post.
Yes if your asking for long term access . But I understand this means the loss of control of that content . So if it was to be uploaded to a privet site as JiontedRail, TPR and such , I would think your wishes could be better served ?

My vote wasn't to be taken as support of ether , just the lack of accesses from privet sites is a issue if you want your content to be used .

Matt

I would like to clarify my vote Yes if your asking for long term access . But I understand this means the loss of control of that content . So if it was to be uploaded to a privet site as JiontedRail, TPR and such , I would think your wishes could be better served ?

My vote wasn't to be taken as support of ether , just the lack of accesses from privet sites is a issue if you want your content to be used .

Matt

Understood. As far as my content going to major 3rd party site, I was never asked by anybody. The few that I did contact about hosting my content either drug their feet in following through or simply never got back to me. So 3rd party sites may seems like a good idea but it not as simple as it sounds.

If you wanted more control, I suppose, I'd upload it onto a 3rd party site, so I have a No vote. You could see how many people were downloading it. Also some people cannot access the DLS (like myself) so attempting to get such content would be futile.

If you wanted more control, I suppose, I'd upload it onto a 3rd party site, so I have a No vote. You could see how many people were downloading it. Also some people cannot access the DLS (like myself) so attempting to get such content would be futile.

Just being curious...Why can you not access the DLStation?

Just being curious...Why can you not access the DLStation?

I guess the cat got his tongue.

With one more day left before I choose my contents fate, I was really hoping for a little bit more support on this from the community on this. What I was really hoping for was support from anyone on the N3V team. I guess that's asking for a bit much.
24 hours left...tell me your thoughts if you haven't already.

From an end user view (and also my personal opinion as well), I think it would be better on the Download Station although this will depend on what textures you use. Whilst third party sites may not have build restrictions etc, it's usually harder to keep assets updated whilst allowing for those who may not want the changes and want to use an earlier version.

Shane

From an end user view (and also my personal opinion as well), I think it would be better on the Download Station although this will depend on what textures you use. Whilst third party sites may not have build restrictions etc, it's usually harder to keep assets updated whilst allowing for those who may not want the changes and want to use an earlier version.

Shane

Build restriction is something I will have to look into. While most of my content is 3.7 with no errors, some do have warnings. I'm not sure if this will effect the uploads.

I would vote for the DLS as well, but you can reduce the build as low as 3.5; 3.7 or later is only needed if you take advantage of specific features in newer versions, mostly script-related. The DLS is even accepting uploads for older versions, although they must clear the Content Repair Group first.

IIRC, some of your telegraph poles may have LoD issues. The lowest-detail mesh has to be less than 500 polygons, and probably should be more like about 20-50 for a spline, from a couple hundred feet away.

IIRC, some of your telegraph poles may have LoD issues. The lowest-detail mesh has to be less than 500 polygons, and probably should be more like about 20-50 for a spline, from a couple hundred feet away.

I've noticed this warning with my streetlights and buildings. However my telegraph poles are error and warning free. I've opted out of using LoD models on any non-spline items. This was mainly because I was never able to get those non-spline models to show LoD's correctly. I'm sure it's because the config file was never set up right.

Back