Trainz Newsletter Apr 28th 2017

pware

Trainz Veteran
Among the items in the latest Trainz Newsletter

• more news on the progress of SP2 but still no release date as yet
  • the life cycle support for TS12 has been extended to September 2018 with 80% off the purchase price
  • new consists released for Trainz iOS

A copy should be arriving in your email box (if you subscribe)

Also still no Android version update news. But if comes down to time spent on SP2 vs Android, SP2 needs it more.

There seems to be some confusion between the Great Eastern and Great Western Railways with the latest iOS release...:hehe:

R3

Hi everybody.
Also still no Android version update news. But if comes down to time spent on SP2 vs Android, SP2 needs it more.

Martin, I would entirely agree with you that after all this time SP2 should come as first release in the Trainz diary. However, with both Microsoft and Alphabet (Google's parent company) releasing their full quarter revenue figures this week, the need for N3V to gain a new foothold in the android market was graphically demonstrated.

In the above, (as many will have seen) Microsoft produced an good set of earnings figures but the increase in profits and revenue was almost entirely down to the performance of the Remond Corporations Azure cloud services which increased its sales revenue by a staggering 98% based on the previous years quarter returns.

However in contrast to the above, earnings from Microsofts personal computer services were disappointing with companies flagship surface tablet sales showing a 26% decline on the previous year. Microsoft did produce a 4% increase in its gaming revenue but that has to be placed against a worldwide increase in overall gaming revenue of above 9%.

The foregoing would seem to demonstrate that many companies such as Valve (Steam) and others are producing very good sales and profit returns from PC gaming, but Microsoft who provide the platform for all those other companies to earn those PC based profits on are not. In the statement which accompanied the release of the earnings figures, Microsoft played heavily on the success of its Azure cloud services to corporate customers while stating very little in regard to its personal computing services and plans. All the above will mean that Microsoft will have many questions to answer from Windows platform developers at a annual conference due to be held next month.

In the meantime and on the same day, Google also released their quarterly sales revenue figures demonstrating a staggering increase in revenue to over $24 billion derived in the main from its personal computer services especially from Android in conjunction with other Google play services. In the accompanying statement to the revenue figures, Google stressed how the company expected the above earnings to continue to rise on the back of the development of Google Tango, Google Assistant and the continuing progress with the enabling of Google OS large screen devices to run android apps.

In all the above, many may well consider that Microsoft have now developed a pattern of withdrawal from personal computing services in preference to their ever-growing dominance in corporate cloud services. However, Google would seem to be very much planning large increases in personal computer services which is where many software developers may feel the future is to be had for large numbers of them, inclusive of N3V I would suggest.

Google's stock market valuation rose by over 6% on the release of the companies figures taking the share price to over $935 per share :),with the Microsoft share price declining by 1% to $67 per share on the release of their figures.:(

Bill

I agree that the lack of an updated Android version of Trainz is strange - the topic has been discussed here before and, if I recall correctly, the old Android version was created by a third party with some licence arrangement with N3V. If N3V were to release an updated Android version of Trainz (any version) it would seem that they would have to start from scratch. With iOS devices now running behind Android devices in sales it would seem to be a logical move.

However, the main problem I see with Android is that unlike Apple's iOS platform, there are a multitude of different Android hardware devices made by different manufacturers with many/most running different "flavours" of the Android OS. Some of those manufacturers have "tweaked" the OS to match their hardware configurations - much like all the different distros of Linux. While this may not be an impediment to the simple video games that you often see commuters playing on their phones, it could be a potential nightmare for a simulator program.

My (ill-informed) thoughts only.

Hi pware and Everybody.
pware, in regard to what can be achieved with simulation apps on the Android platform, i respectfully point you and other forum members in the direction of the two following YouTube videos. The first is Infinate flight which is open source having been developed by a group of Android platform flight simulation enthusiasts with great results. The group are still developing the sim, having​ still to complete 3D buildings at airports etc. However, they have very many high quality aircraft in the sim and they have cleverly used Google satellite imagery for scene content.

video begins here:-
https://youtu.be/uJSQulnTeD4

The second flight simulator is produced by one of the large developers that now bring forward a great many gaming apps for the android platform. As can be seen the graphics are superb which demonstrates just what can be achieved in that department on android.

video begins here:-
https://youtu.be/Ov0Sm9GDha4

There are many other videos and reviews on YouTube in regard to the two above simulators, and of coarse many other simulation apps on the Google play store to have a look at.
Bill

Wholbr,

Impressive stuff, particularly the realism - at times I thought I was watching real video footage and not a computer generated simulation. I note that "Infinite Flight" is available on Windows 10 Phone and iOS while "X-Plane 11" seems to be currently available only on 64 bit desktop and laptop systems running Win 7 (and above), OS X (10.10 and above) and Steam OS (+ Linux). I don't have any Android or iOS devices, just Win 10 (including a Win 10 phone) and Ubuntu, so I have to base my views on iOS and Android on other sources.

But, my main concern with Android still stands. The term used in the industry is "fragmentation" where the OS is split into many different versions (or, more particularly in the case of Android, "flavours") with updates controlled by the device manufacturers and carrier service providers, not the OS creators as is the case with Apple and Microsoft. This is creating headaches for enterprise IT management with different employees using different Android versions with some versions very specifically tied to the device manufacturer, Samsungs flavour of Android being one such example.

My (still ill-informed) opinions only

Hi pware and Everybody.
Wholbr, Impressive stuff, particularly the realism - at times I thought I was watching real video footage and not a computer generated simulation. I note that "Infinite Flight" is available on Windows 10 Phone and iOS while "X-Plane 11" seems to be currently available only on 64 bit desktop and laptop systems running Win 7 (and above), OS X (10.10 and above) and Steam OS (+ Linux). I don't have any Android or iOS devices, just Win 10 (including a Win 10 phone) and Ubuntu, so I have to base my views on iOS and Android on other sources.

But, my main concern with Android still stands. The term used in the industry is "fragmentation" where the OS is split into many different versions (or, more particularly in the case of Android, "flavours") with updates controlled by the device manufacturers and carrier service providers, not the OS creators as is the case with Apple and Microsoft. This is creating headaches for enterprise IT management with different employees using different Android versions with some versions very specifically tied to the device manufacturer, Samsungs flavour of Android being one such example.

My (still ill-informed) opinions only

pware, you are quite right in stating that X-Plane 11 is not at this point in time available on android devices. However, the release of version 11 is expected in the very near future, so in the meantime here is a YouTube video of the current android release X-Plane 10.
YouTube video starts here: -
https://youtu.be/lpkpolSeyQg

In regard to your concern with what has become known as the "fragmentation" of the devices running on the android platform, then that is a concern that has been raised very often in the four years since the establishment of the platform. Indeed, it has often been stated that it could eventually bring about the collapse of the platform, but so far that has been a long way from reality, with android devices now providing nine out of every ten mobile devices sold worldwide.

The vast majority of Android devises run on Arm chipset technology based in Qualcomm professors. The forgoing would seem to make for "a reasonable programming licence" for the huge numbers of Android devices in operation throughout the world. Evidence to the forgoing can be found by way of the now near two point eight million applications that have come into existence on the Google Playstore in the four years since Google play was brought into being.

in the above, without doubt it does take more planning and work to create apps for the Android platform, but it is obvious based on the above that it is not as difficult as (those who shall be nameless) would have us believe. Among the huge number of apps on Google play there are (as with the DLS) both good and bad, exelent and unworkable. Within the forgoing the device manufacturers often have their own apps stores, but they all subscribe to ensuring that all apps will work within the basic Android framework no matter how much they may have changed the front​ and back ends of the operating system for use on their devices.

As someone who has taken an interest in Google since 2003 and the Android platform in general for the last fithteen months, it is the innovation and speed of development that myself and many others find so interesting. For unlike Microsoft who sat behind their Windows OS paywall for so many years and now have their shareholders paying the price for that management lack of inovations, it is Google along with Amazon and Facebook that have now taken up the mantle of creativity that Microsoft held for so many years prior to the millennium.

In the forgoing, should any person download an app from the playstore that will not run on their device then Google provide a fifteen minute window (often thirty) for a full and immediate refund provided that the app is deleted by way of the playstore from where it was downloaded.

However the problem of apps not running on devices is nearly always caused people trying to run most recent apps such as simulation on older devices which do not have the processing power.

Now where have we heard of that problem before. :D
Bill

Back