JR H Style Signals

hiyo

Suspect is hatless
Love these new signals and I've read the JR smart signal guide, but I'm still a bit confused about a few things.

- An 06 is clearly for diverging routes, but what is an '06d'?
- What is the purpose of a signal with a 'doll', and why is it offset by about 2 track widths? In what situation would I use this?

Also, are there plans for gantry versions of these signals?

Thanks
hiyo

Love these new signals and I've read the JR smart signal guide, but I'm still a bit confused about a few things.

- An 06 is clearly for diverging routes, but what is an '06d'?
- What is the purpose of a signal with a 'doll', and why is it offset by about 2 track widths? In what situation would I use this?

Also, are there plans for gantry versions of these signals?

Thanks
hiyo

I would like to eventually see gantry signals too, but the old search lights work fine for now.

A Type 06(d) is a distant signal or permissive type and is placed ahead of the standard Type 06. A distant signal is used to forewarn the engineer that there is an upcoming signal change, and being permissive allows the train to continue rather than stop at the signal. Permissive signals have that small sign on the post below the actual signal heads. The alternative name to a distant signal is an advance signal.

For doll arms, I had to look them up, but this explains it.

http://www.railroadsignals.us/basics/basics5.htm#Doll_Posts_

Basically they are used for sidings when there are intervening tracks which require the main signals, I think, from what the article explains.

Thanks JCitron.

But wouldn't that make an 06d the same as an 05?

Yeah, except the 06d is for two routes (track split) if that makes sense. Even though we don't have them, I have also seen a 3-headed d-type signal as well in real life to add to the confusion.

The signal website linked is really, really interesting. I refer to this all the time when placing signals and so far so good the AI seem to like it. :)

This 06d lets the driver know ahead of time that a signal displaying a diverging indication is coming up on an 06 or 08 signal by displaying aspects like "approach medium" (approach diverging) or other states ahead of a signal protecting a diverging route. It is like an 05 in that it is a permissive signal, but 05 only has one head and cannot display the same information.

A doll arm would be used in situations like this:

WearsPrada_5829e3f912f3a.jpg

In this shot the doll tells us the tall signal is for the main line where the dwarf signal is for the siding. At this location the tall signal can not be placed on the left side because the line is making a left hand curve to this location and the terrain does not allow the signal to be seen unless it is on the right.

Back