trainz on new asus gtx 1080 ti oc

mikemike

Asus gtx 1080 TI OC video card 11Gb ram, running at stock speed ( for now, but i just got it. )

In Trainz TANE, running Kickstarter Nickleplate High Speed Freight, with all sliders and performance settings maxed -- full shadow and v-sync and all --2560x1440 -- i'm now getting a low FPS of 24 FPS. my prior card was an AMD 7970 overclocked, and this card gave me 2 ( two ) FPS with the same settings. my test run is an auto drive: navigate to Arsao Village Platform.

this totally validates what people have told me here, that Trainz is ( after a certain minimum CPU computing ) more affected for performance by GPU than CPU. I hadn't thought that, and even when i was told this fact i still went ahead and ran an overclock on my 3930 to 4.9 Mhz to test, and that CPU overclock didn't change frame rate at all. I want to thank people here for putting me on the right track.

Last edited:
Hey Mike this is great news on the GTX1080ti. I'm glad the card is working well for you. Now to get mine as soon as I get my car fixed first...

Hey Mike this is great news on the GTX1080ti. I'm glad the card is working well for you. Now to get mine as soon as I get my car fixed first...

hey, m. citron. thanks again very much. i'm pretty stoked. i'm looking at overclocking the GPU now, and see what's what. the Asus high-end card i got should have been picked for components' quality, so i'm maybe going to get a couple of more points from this one.

cars... well, i'm 70, retired, and gave up owning a car about 15 years ago. happy boy. when i need one, i rent one and then just give it back.

yes, very fun card, and i'm running through all my games to see how they might be affected by it. but, pulling through the nickle-plate route at eye-pleasing settings and no lag or streaking just immerses the heck out of the game, and i'm pretty pleased. :) ( hate these things, but it's totally appropriate today. it's been how many years since the first Trainz breakout? and, i've been rebuilding my machine every 5 years or so to get the frames up -- new CPU and GPU and more memory. the frame rate, if i drop shadows down to 'high' and 2040 or whatever they are in performance, should nail it for 'what trains in motion look like'.

mikemike - See what a joy the ROG Strix OC cards are now?
You don't need to try hard to overclock these beasts as all you need to do is put your Asus GPU Tweak into OC mode and sit back to watch it reach well over 2000Mhz during gameplay!
Mine runs out to over 2025 without me touching the voltages.
They hardly break into a sweat, either.
My fans don't come on until the GPU reaches around 48C (so it's silent until then) and then it almost inaudibly runs out to a max of around 65 degrees no matter how hard I drive it.
These Pascal cards are super efficient, manufactured completely robotically, so the engineering standards and quality of finish are outstanding.
Oh - and did I tell you earlier - they run T:ANE really well at the highest settings levels and at very high and smooth framerates?!

Last edited:
Just one observation. With everything (particularly shadow quality and draw distance) cranked up, the shadow texture quality has a huge impact. If you currently have it set to 4096, try dropping it to 2048 and watch your frame rate more or less double without any noticeable drop in visual quality - if anything, I find the slightly softer shadows to look more realistic.

I learned this lesson after installing a GTX 1080 and being, initially, disappointed with the frame rates I was seeing.

John

mikemike - See what a joy the ROG Strix OC cards are now?
You don't need to try hard to overclock these beasts as all you need to do is put your Asus GPU Tweak into OC mode and sit back to watch it reach well over 2000Mhz during gameplay!
Mine runs out to over 2025 without me touching the voltages.
They hardly break into a sweat, either.
My fans don't come on until the GPU reaches around 48C (so it's silent until then) and then it almost inaudibly runs out to a max of around 65 degrees no matter how hard I drive it.
These Pascal cards are super efficient, manufactured completely robotically, so the engineering standards and quality of finish are outstanding.
Oh - and did I tell you earlier - they run T:ANE really well at the highest settings levels and at very high and smooth framerates?!

thanks, yes, i've now got the GPU OC on dynamic mode and it's going over 2000 for me too. also, i dropped my draw distance a little and my FPS on my test route are now over 60FPS. just enough slight lag, though, that i'm going to get a geforce enhanced monitor for the Smoother.

thanks, john. yes, i was running at 4096 for the test. i don't need it that high, and for my running settings i've dropped shadows to medium and 2048. 'draw distance' is also a big frame eater, and for running i've dropped draw distance in half. i still max on the other things though, and i'm getting, now, 60FPS, instead of the 2 FPS i got with my over-clocked radeon 7970.

Got my aorus gtx 1080 ti for graphics and my old 760 is just running my physics x simulation. everything is maxed out fps on umr2016 with 15 trains is 33 41 fps and temps in the mid 60 to 67 Celsius range. Am i doing this right or do i need to change some settings to get the fabled 60 fps?

Constar261:- do i need to change some settings to get the fabled 60 fps?

In a word, "Yes!"
Turn Vertical sync to "Off".
You should see FRAPs reading over 1500 FPS in T:ANE Menus. It will come down as soon as you load a route or session.
On some well-designed routes, framerates on your rig should remain above 100FPS with everything turned right up.
On others - well 60FPS is nice but hardly a GOAL. Anything above 30FPS as long as its smooth and shows no sign of tearing or stutters is perfectly acceptable.
If it goes below 30FPS or suffers jerkiness, look to other causes, such as your CPU not being able to cope, or the fact that you're probably running a very busy and poorly constructed route at the highest detail levels and draw distances with shadows set to Ultra.
My question therefore is: Is that route really worth the grief and anguish?

1 I am not using FRAPS using nvidia overlay with my fps counter enabled getting up or over to 300 fps in menus.
made the shadow and draw distance corrections shadows medium and draw distance at 7000's.
Load the Quahog coal county route and load the 1st session in tane getting fps btwn 55 and 75.
Does that sound about right?

OH MY GAWD....

Running TMR17,I just upgraded to a I7 7700@4.2, 16GB of DDR4 and an Asus Mobo combined with my previous MSI GTX-1060 (6GB) using the most recent Nvidia drivers , (Previously had an FX-6300@3.5, 16gb Ram and same GPU) ...I am also using my Modifed Brazemore Yard layout which can give a big Fps hit because I redid most of all those ugly spine bushes with newer versions....added buildings and run in summer time with full foliage...so I was quite happy with a boost of fps up to the high 50s and low 60s when I came across the suggestion to lower Shadow quality.....my settings are pretty much maxed out so I decide to try "Low" shadows...restarted TMR17 as suggested for changes to take affect....like I said, OH MY GAWD...my fps has jumped to a all time high of 96fps in some areas with a most consistent increase overall to the 70's (previously with the FX-6300 my highs were in the 30-40fps range).................holy crap batman..I never would have thought this possible by lowering just the shadows..THANK YOU THANK THANK YOU !!!

Here was my test Train:

3 Lead ESS44s pulling 34 cars of covered hoppers and tankers with a caboose..............I am still in shock..................how is this possible that the one setting can make such a change...............tears of joy, THANK YOU again for the suggestion !

Last edited:
Back