Check out the brilliant new Google Earth Upgrade!

PC_Ace

Hauling Heavy Pixels
Do you use Google Earth (or Google Earth Pro) to scope out your favorite railroad for Trainz Surveyor world creation?

If so, then you'll love the new changes made to this venerable and indispensable mapping tool.
Best browser to view the web version, of course, is Google Chrome:

https://www.cnet.com/news/forgot-about-google-earth-google-aims-to-jog-your-memory/?

Check it out here: earth.google.com/web

Packs wonderful improvements and new capabilities utilizing the latest in 3D satellite imagery.

I installed Google Earth years ago, and it works fabulously !

It measures distances and heights in meters, as Trainz uses metric

What does Google Earth Pro do ?

Would I have to uninstall Google Earth, and install the new Google Earth, or Google Earth Pro ?

I long for a real time Google Earth, so one could view where fire trucks are going, in real time .... but I guess the DHS and NSA only have this eavesdropping feature

The Google Earth upgrade currently only works with Google Chrome (not surprising). I will wait until a Firefox version is available - if not I will continue to use the old version. I don't use Google Earth enough to warrant changing my browser to Chrome which has never really impressed me.

The Google Earth upgrade currently only works with Google Chrome (not surprising). I will wait until a Firefox version is available - if not I will continue to use the old version. I don't use Google Earth enough to warrant changing my browser to Chrome which has never really impressed me.

Same here...

Same here for me. I have a friend who just got married. he said he'd have to name his first kid "Google" since it invades his privacy everywhere else. :)

Bill

Me too, Got Google Earth Pro, no need for a Browser based version and definitely not on Chrome which IMO is malware as it's flipping bundled with everything these days.

But what exactly does it Doooooo ?

I can't get Chrome, as it is much too shiney ... and I'm Amish ... so I'd have to paint de' bumpah's black :cool:

I use Firefox and IE

They still have that dang singularity at the South Pole:

eb5c10a21c75365ecb001247c7b0e046.png

The absolute proof that the earth is flat, and the rest is a conspiracy, I'd say! ;)

I still use the desktop version of Google Earth Pro (has more features for GIS buffs like me) but the browser - or web-based - version is nicely updated and could be very useful for T:ANE users browsing and researching railway routes and scoping out the terrain for their route-creation work.
Since I have all of the major browsers installed on my production machine, I tend to use the ones that best suit the target web application on a horses-for-courses basis.
Funnily enough, Chrome seems better-suited to Google apps! Can't imagine why...

Last edited:
Ditto earlier comments, I prefer the desktop version (at least so long as Google support it) and Chrome won't get house space on either my main PC or laptop.

Hi everybody.
For those who do not wish to "contaminate" their PC with the Google Chrome browser, can I suggest they download the android version of Google Earth which contains all the new features of this application. I have just run the Google OS version on a large screen LG chrome Base here in the office and I have to say that Google Earth really is stunning in that format.

From what I have read the PC version is not to receive the new update along with web browsers other than chrome. So, it would seem that Google are now "closing the doors" to everything other than what is produced by themselves. However, I really can't wait to see this app on phones and tablets running on the new Qualcom Snapdragon 835 processor as Google are advising that extra features will be added for those devices running on android 7.01 and 7.11 along with the most recently released chrome books and chrome base desktops running Google OS.

The above android devices will have LTE 5G connectivity which should make for lightning speed even when not connected to broadband. The foregoing, along with Google Tango and Google Earth being released on forthcoming android devices is certainly a huge step forward for mobile users and opens up a new era once again for that platform.

Bill

Hi everybody.
What are the new features
What makes it so different from the original Google Earth
What does it dooooo ???

Cascaderailroad, Google Earth is a very complex application, but I will attempt in as few sentences as possible to explain the new features of the program. So, are you sitting comfortably, then I will begin (LOL).

For those who have used Google Earths previous versions will be familiar with the Earth being shown on the opening of the application as it would be viewed from the space station or a high orbit satellite. Touching the screen or keyboard brings the camera down onto the area of the Earth the user has selected until a 3-D image is produced of the typography, demographics and buildings. A further touch of the screen can bring you down to street level where the user can progress along a road as it would be either driving or walking viewing the buildings or scenery as he/she progresses.

It is in this section that the first major change that version nine of Google Earth brings forward. Previous versions have only been able to encompass the images taken by the Google Street view camera cars which I am sure we have all seen driving around. However, Google have now left those cars behind and taken to walking, diving​ and climbing to obtain imaging away from roads to great effect.

The above means that you can take a virtual walk on the pathways between the pyramids in the valley and the Kings or walk among the crowds in London's Trafalgar Square. The possibilities are endless and only capped by a users imagination or where Google are yet to visit with this format. To help users Google have divided the above into four separate sections those being travel, nature, culture and history. It was the nature section that I found so interesting last evening, as in that you can dive down into the seas and oceans of this world and swim with the sharks, whales or whatever marine creatures are down there.

Along with all the above, Google also cleverly used images posted on Google plus or stored in Google photos by users of this service and notified as for public display. Those images Google have added to their own images to create a comprehensive view of very many places not easily visited by the general public. By example, Steep Holm and Flat Holm islands which are in the Bristol Channel just off the coast of North Somerset UK where I live are presented as a series of photographs taken by persons who have visited the islands and are now there for all to see in Google Earth.

I believe that Google Earth pro if purchased gives licence that allows users to process the images into their own websites or applications if required. Having tried Google Earth on several devices now, my humble opinion would be that the application is best viewed on a high-end android device running version 6.0 or above. For those who have a 4K television the application can be run on the android device and then passed to a Google Chromecast for viewing in large screen format. However, the latest 4K Chromecast would obviously be required to gain the very best from the application in this use.

As stated in my previous posting, i do not believe that Google Earth version nine will be available on any windows PC even if that PC has the Chrome browser installed and in use. That Stated, Google have often in the past advised that numerous things will or will not happen, only for users to find that things in the Google camp can change very quickly. (by example, just look at Google Assistant only for Android version 7.0 we where informed, now within six months being rolled out to all users of Android 6.0 devises)

so, in the above, if Google can work out how revenue can be derived from having Google Earth version nine on PC it will happen i have no doubt. That's why the Google stock market valuation is now close to one thousand dollars per share.:)

Bill

Last edited:
I fail to see the difference or advantage of the Pro version over the basic version, no wonder they made the Pro version free, I believe the Pro version was $399 per annum! Perhaps it's just the way I use it?

Rob.

I fail to see the difference or advantage of the Pro version over the basic version, no wonder they made the Pro version free, I believe the Pro version was $399 per annum! Perhaps it's just the way I use it?

Rob.

Here you go:

The chart below outlines the basic differences between Google Earth and Google Earth Pro.
FeaturesGoogle EarthGoogle Earth Pro
Print resolution1000 pixels4800 pixels
Import GIS data ESRI .shp, MapInfo .tab
Import addresses in bulkManually Geo-locate each addressAutomatically Geo-locate up to 2500 at a time
Import large image fileslimited to texture size
Super Image Overlays
Supplemental Layers Demographics, Parcels, Traffic Counts
Create premium movies for export HD 1920x1080
Measurement toolsLine, PathLine, Path, Polygon, Circle, 3D Path, 3D Polygon

Apart from importing GIS data can't think of a use for the rest, dont really care about Parcels.
Had a popup from the Almighty Google Last night in GE Pro promoting their Chrome version.......

I imported a .shp file - a rail route overlay from the USGS map server once. It was nice seeing the railroads colored and highlighted, but yeah the other tools and things don't really fit our needs. That's more GIS stuff and competes with ESRI and Tactician for that stuff like population stats, etc.

I too hate that plug for Chrome...

Hi everybody.
The Google Earth Pro version that can be downloaded to a PC would be 7.01 which was released in 2015 and was made a cost free version shortly after that.

The version released this month is numbered as 9.01 and can only be obtained from the Google play store for use on Android devices. Users of Google OS (Chromebooks and large screen Chromebase desktops) can access Google Earth 9.01 via those devices provided that they are the most recent and enabled to run Android apps.

As i understand things at this point in time, older Google OS devices can access a cloud based version of Google Earth 9.01 without any need of a download. However, all other desktops and laptops running any other operating system will continue to receive the older Google Earth 7.01 via the Chrome Web Browser (which is the world's most widely used browser). The exception in regard to access to 9.01 may be Apple IOS devices but i cannot find much information on that?

In my posting at #14 of this thread i was thinking on the lines that a purchasable pro version of Google Earth would be released alongside 9.01 but again at this point in time there would seem to be no pro version or any information in regard to if there is to be one.

It may well be that older former versions of Google Earth are acceptable to Trainzers for their needs, so they may well feel that access to the 9.01 version on PC is not required. However, in the foregoing forum members will lose all the entertainment, education and enjoyment GE 9.01 can give in its performance which runs alongside the recently released innovations of Google Tango and Google assistant on the mobile Android platform.

Bill

Last edited:
Back