Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fort William-Mallaig

Default Fort William-Mallaig

Having just read some praise about this route in a travel Magazine, I looked it up on the DLS and find there are 3 versions, the latest being <Kuid2:117648::1022:1> a 2.9 version by Nawlins who had updated Vern's original route. Unfortunately Nawlins version is for Ts09 and not TANE.

Does anyone have it running in TANE and if so how difficult was it to fix to run in TANE? I understand from Gremllin1812 that routes from Ts09 and Ts10 versions are easier the transfer to TANE than Ts12 versions [ is that correct? ] but not being very proficient at error fixing especially texture problems I am reluctant to try to do it.

In a post of mine in October 2014 enquiring about the West Highland Line, Vern replied that it was one of his routes as was the Fort William- Mallaig, but saying the he didn't have time to update them as he was working on another route. I see on the DLS however that there have been over 13,000 downloads of the nawlins 2.9 version of the Fort William- Mallaig line, so I wonder if there was a TANE copy out there somewhere? Thats a lot of downloads.
    Cheers

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by nimec View Post
    Having just read some praise about this route in a travel Magazine, I looked it up on the DLS and find there are 3 versions, the latest being <Kuid2:117648::1022:1> a 2.9 version by Nawlins who had updated Vern's original route. Unfortunately Nawlins version is for Ts09 and not TANE.

Does anyone have it running in TANE and if so how difficult was it to fix to run in TANE? I understand from Gremllin1812 that routes from Ts09 and Ts10 versions are easier the transfer to TANE than Ts12 versions [ is that correct? ] but not being very proficient at error fixing especially texture problems I am reluctant to try to do it.

Cheers
    I don't have the route, however, I can probably help you convert the route over to T:ANE format.

The TS2009 and TS2010 versions most likely use older trees and not Speed Trees which makes them easier to transfer because there is no need to replace assets first. For routes done in TS12 which use the TS12 version of Speed Trees, these trees need to be either updated to a compatible Speed Tree, or the trees need to be replaced with the older-style billboard trees.

For compatible Speed Trees, there are some Ultra: Trees by McGuirel which work. I'm sorry I don't know which ones offhand, but there are some direct replacements. RMM also made some Speed Trees which are compatible with TS12 and have an equivalent replacement in T:ANE. The problem here is neither Mcguirel nor RMM have a complete set of trees and shrubs so the choice is limited with Mcguirel having a less extensive set in T:ANE while RMM has more.

For billboard trees, you can use Clam1952's CL Tree and CL Shrub series. These are quite nice and he has trees that are compatible with both versions and more optimized version for T:ANE should you wish to update your trees later with these.

The process of changing them out is relatively easy. Open the route in TS12 Surveyor and replace the Speed Trees in there with the ones of your choice. The process can take time, however, depending upon the number of trees which need replacing. The actual task can be accomplished by using the Replace Asset Utility which is found under the Main menu in Surveyor.

Hope this helps.
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TS12 Build: 61388
    T:ANE Build: 84356

It is notable that I no longer have the Fort William-Mallaig route on T:ANE; notable in that I did have it at one time. This makes me suspect I gave up trying to access some "unknown assets," which is the usual reason I drop routes along the way. It's worth a try, though!

I will suggest that you checkout the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE route. it works beautifully, and the expansive baseboarding (creating vast vistas in the highlands) is incredible to see in T:ANE! Plus, there is attention to detail in places that is phenomenal.
    Joel

United States of America, Louisiana, New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by nimec View Post

In a post of mine in October 2014 enquiring about the West Highland Line, Vern replied that it was one of his routes as was the Fort William- Mallaig, but saying the he didn't have time to update them as he was working on another route. I see on the DLS however that there have been over 13,000 downloads of the nawlins 2.9 version of the Fort William- Mallaig line, so I wonder if there was a TANE copy out there somewhere? Thats a lot of downloads.
    Cheers

Hi nimec.

It's been donkeys years since I looked at Fort William-Mallaig but I feel pretty sure that it will play in T:ANE without too much fiddling.

I have just completed an update of Glasgow Queen St. to T:ANE (now on the DLS) and I was wondering what to do next. This may be the one!

This rework of Vern's route was a collaboration between myself and tmz06003. It has my name on it but Tony was the main contributor in terms of research and planning.

So I'll contact him and see if he will agree to a T:ANE update.

In the mean time you can't hurt anything by downloading and trying the route in T:ANE. Give it a whirl.

Cheers and good luck!
    Chris (nawlins)
    "If all else fails, read the instructions."

I've tried it in T:ANE but it didn't work, it just came up as blank square as far as I can remember. I have read something recently in the forums, I can't quite remember where though, of a similar problem with another older route. It was apparently cured by changing the name of some of the files to 'mapfile.xxx' or something like that, if I remember correctly.

Rob.

Edit: Found the route, Turks Castle, here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...50#post1590450
    Last edited by robd; April 18th, 2017 at 08:42 AM.

I managed to get the 2009 version working in TANE without too much fuss but it looks a little dated now. An update with new trees and protrack would be great. Personally I'd quite like to see a version backdated to steam days with the original Fort William station...

Quote Originally Posted by cressjl View Post
    I will suggest that you checkout the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE route. it works beautifully, and the expansive baseboarding (creating vast vistas in the highlands) is incredible to see in T:ANE! Plus, there is attention to detail in places that is phenomenal.
    The F&WHR route is definitley fantastic but is largely irrelevant to the discussion. The West Highland and Welsh Highland are two entirely separate railways running on different gauges in different countries.

Quote Originally Posted by nawlins View Post
    Hi nimec.

It's been donkeys years since I looked at Fort William-Mallaig but I feel pretty sure that it will play in T:ANE without too much fiddling.

I have just completed an update of Glasgow Queen St. to T:ANE (now on the DLS) and I was wondering what to do next. This may be the one!

This rework of Vern's route was a collaboration between myself and tmz06003. It has my name on it but Tony was the main contributor in terms of research and planning.

So I'll contact him and see if he will agree to a T:ANE update.

In the mean time you can't hurt anything by downloading and trying the route in T:ANE. Give it a whirl.

Cheers and good luck!
    Hi Chris
    This is one of my favourite TS12 routes which would look brilliant in TANE. It gets my vote.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by edh6 View Post
    The F&WHR route is definitley fantastic but is largely irrelevant to the discussion. The West Highland and Welsh Highland are two entirely separate railways running on different gauges in different countries.
    Ah, come now, didn't you see where the OP is hailing from? New Zealand. Now, you mark a line from here to there and what? Off by one degree surely puts right in the heart of the F&WHR (well, perhaps even Paris, let's see...).

I was just responding to the "Having just read some praise about this route in a travel Magazine..." Well, the F&WHR should fit just as well in the praiseworthy category, I'd say!
    Last edited by cressjl; April 18th, 2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Joel

[QUOTE=robd;1592416]I've tried it in T:ANE but it didn't work, it just came up as blank square as far as I can remember. I have read something recently in the forums, I can't quite remember where though, of a similar problem with another older route. It was apparently cured by changing the name of some of the files to 'mapfile.xxx' or something like that, if I remember correctly.

Rob.

I have just finished downloading the route and all of the sessions into T:ANE SP2 beta 87422 and I have one missing dependency and one faulty dependency. Both easy fixes.

I take Ed's point about needing a big update re trees, track and such. That will happen of course.

Cheers
    Chris n
    Chris (nawlins)

[QUOTE=nawlins;1592446]
    Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I've tried it in T:ANE but it didn't work, it just came up as blank square as far as I can remember. I have read something recently in the forums, I can't quite remember where though, of a similar problem with another older route. It was apparently cured by changing the name of some of the files to 'mapfile.xxx' or something like that, if I remember correctly.

Rob.

I have just finished downloading the route and all of the sessions into T:ANE SP2 beta 87422 and I have one missing dependency and one faulty dependency. Both easy fixes.

I take Ed's point about needing a big update re trees, track and such. That will happen of course.

Cheers
    Chris n
    The fastest way to update an older route is to pass it through TS12. Open the route, make the changes then save it. T:ANE imports TS12 route much easier than those of prior versions.

Must admit I haven't tried bringing the route(s) either my original or the reworked version into TANE. Wondering if importing into TS12 first and saving under a different name/KUID then exporting that version into TANE might work?

At some point I probably ought to revisit the route myself, with a fresh start in particular taking advantage of the much higher resolution DEM and mapping overlay that can give more accurate results than the HOG contour tracing I believe I used.
    TANE...Resistance Is Futile

Blog Entries

Hi Vern,

I have just downloaded the 09 version directly in to T;ANE (route only, no sessions) and it works in T;ANE with no alterations. The only thing I had to do on a run from Fort William all the way to Mallaig was change some of the junctions. I did relay some of the track in an earlier version which I have lost now but it runs quite well as it is although the BR speed signs don't show as they should, they have a texture problem.

Cheers,
    Bill69
    Last edited by Bill69; April 18th, 2017 at 08:34 PM.
    If you are going to try cross-country skiing,
    Start with a small country.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Must admit I haven't tried bringing the route(s) either my original or the reworked version into TANE. Wondering if importing into TS12 first and saving under a different name/KUID then exporting that version into TANE might work?

At some point I probably ought to revisit the route myself, with a fresh start in particular taking advantage of the much higher resolution DEM and mapping overlay that can give more accurate results than the HOG contour tracing I believe I used.
    Hi Vern. I downloaded the 09 version directly into T:ANE SP1hf4 and three of the four sessions ran right out of the box. no problems whatsoever. The fourth session has an unknown kuid <kuid2:2512:5556:2> by pikabird.

Can't find it anywhere. if someone can help, please let me know.

I also download and ran the route/session in T:ANE SP2 latest beta. Works great.

Can't speak for your original version, but it may be a good idea to do it the way you suggest, using TS12. Good luck.

Cheers

Edit: I found the missing dependency in my TS12 version of Trainz. it's pikabird's Stanier 5MT 4-6-0 Lined BR Black.
    Last edited by nawlins; April 19th, 2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Update
    Chris (nawlins)

United States of America, Delaware, Dover

Changing the file names to "mapfile.xxx" for routes that come up blank is so much easier because TS12 doesn't have to be dealt with.

Hate to even open TS12 anymore.

Harold

Quote Originally Posted by hminky View Post
    Changing the file names to "mapfile.xxx" for routes that come up blank is so much easier because TS12 doesn't have to be dealt with.

Hate to even open TS12 anymore.

Harold
    I only use TS12 to convert routes now. Open up, make necessary changes, save. Exit... Export route to CDP or leave open for edit to import into T:ANE.