Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fort William-Mallaig

Thanks to everyone for your replies

cressjl – I actually do have Clams Festinog. Top Quality. As you say it is excellently detailed but I have a problem with the AI session <kuid2:458053:101306:3> Ffestiniog & Welsh Hilaghland : 2015 High Summer which I haven’t been able to resolve yet. It doesn’t respond to the triggers. Have deleted the session and reinstalled it but no change. [The spelling mistake in the session name is the creators, not mine]
    Incidently I have seen a plaque in the pavement on a street corner in Lisbon, Portugal, that says that NZ is directly opposite not Paris, or Wales, but nice try.

Nawlins – TANE does such great things to the visuals on some of these routes, so if you see your way clear to work with Vern and tmz06003 to update it I’m sure it would be a popular route. Presumably if you do update it, it will be a new kuid number and it will not obsolete the 2009 one if installed in TANE?

Vern- If you are the Vern Moorehouse who created the fictional Highland Link route, then I really like your work. Though it is very stark around Corrour to the top of the pass, the way you have the hills are superb in my opinion, as is the run from the top down to Dalwhinnie along the Loch. If the Malliag to Fort William is of that quality one can see why it’s so popular with over 13,000 downloads

JCitron – John, thank you for your offer. I’m going to go with it and install it in TS12 first as suggested and with your offer of assistance, try to fix any errors then import it into TANE. Will be in touch

Bill69 - Didn’t know you had it installed mate. I should have asked you first but know you are busy on other things at present. However the responses from the others were good to see and that it may possibly be upgraded to TANE. Maybe they will even connect it at Malliag to the West Highland line. Let’s hope.
    Cheers

Also talking about the West Highland line, Wikipedia says:

'The West Highland Line isa railway line linking the ports of Mallaig and Oban in the Scottish Highlandsto Glasgow in Central Scotland. The line was voted the top rail journey in theworld by readers of independent travel magazine Wanderlust in 2009, ahead ofthe iconic Trans-Siberian line in Russia and the Cuzco to Machu Picchu line inPeru. The ScotRail websi….....'

That's some write up.

I wrote a post about the Trainz version in 2014 wondering if it was suitable for TANE, but today, cant find it on the DLS. at all. Anyone know why or if I have the title wrong etc?
    Cheers

Edit: Perhaps its payware. If so, anyone know where its available?

Last edited by nimec; April 21st, 2017 at 03:51 AM.

United States of America, Louisiana, New Orleans

[QUOTE=nimec;1593100]Thanks to everyone for your replies

Nawlins – TANE does such great things to the visuals on some of these routes, so if you see your way clear to work with Vern and tmz06003 to update it I’m sure it would be a popular route. Presumably if you do update it, it will be a new kuid number and it will not obsolete the 2009 one if installed in TANE?

Hi nimec. I have already downloaded and installed Fort William-Mallaig into T:ANE SP1hf4 directly (No need for TS12).

On the route there was one faulty asset, a jankvis shrub spline that needed a thumbnail. And there was a cast speed sign that was showing as a green and white rectangle. I bulk changed it out for a "good one". That's it!

The sessions work fine.

I have created a new kuid for the T:ANE route and I have changed the track to procedural and I'm about 90% done with the vegetation.

I have no desire to change anything else on the route. It looks very good as it is.

Probably going to a 5m grid would improve some things but that's a huge undertaking and I'm not sure that the end result would be worth the effort

I will update some rolling stock in the sessions. Haven't got there yet.

I've spoken with Tony and he's okay with the update and as Vern has previously approved the TS09 version I feel sure that he wont object to this further update. Right Vern?

Cheers
    Chris (nawlins)
    "If all else fails, read the instructions."

Chris - in the immortal words of Capt. Picard, "Make it so!"

With regard to 5m grid probably not much point in changing to this, as noted the terrain was created by older crude methods not the hi-res DEM and fully featured Transdem system we now enjoy.
    TANE...Resistance Is Futile

Hi Nawlins. I had actually downloaded it into Ts12 before I saw your post so not to worry. Only one error, and that was the jankvis vegetation one which I fixed, then put a consist on it and ran it.

All good. In your post above you mention 'sessions' but there were no sessions in the route I downloaded which was <Kuid2:117648::1022:1> a 2.9 version which I presume is your latest one?

There was a session on the DLS but it was not by you , Vern or tmz06003. Are there others that I have missed or were you talking about your own ones?

Now that you are doing the upgrade I'll wait until you finish it before installing it in TANE. No use filling up the SSD with obsolete kuids. Its certainly a nice route and good for a steam engine driving with the undulating countryside. Look forward to you finished product.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Chris - in the immortal words of Capt. Picard, "Make it so!"

With regard to 5m grid probably not much point in changing to this, as noted the terrain was created by older crude methods not the hi-res DEM and fully featured Transdem system we now enjoy.
    Aye Aye Captain, making it so, Sir! Thanks.

I agree with you about the 5m grid,Vern. too much work for too little return.

I'm taking the You Tube Fort William to Mallaig cab ride to get a feel for the lineside vegetation, but I realize now that if I make it "real" it's almost impossible to see anything else but uh, lineside vegetation.

So I'll not do very much of that.

Cheers and thanks again Vern
    Chris (nawlins)

Quote Originally Posted by nimec View Post
    Hi Nawlins.

All good. In your post above you mention 'sessions' but there were no sessions in the route I downloaded which was <Kuid2:117648::1022:1> a 2.9 version which I presume is your latest one?

There was a session on the DLS but it was not by you , Vern or tmz06003. Are there others that I have missed or were you talking about your own ones?

Cheers
    Hi nimec. Yes, you have the latest version of the route. Glad to hear that it installed without too much trouble.

And on the download station, if you do a search for user name nawlins, you will find the route followed by three sessions.

Remember, if you download a route you do not get associated sessions but if you download a session you will also get the associated route.

The sessions are:

Fort William- Mallaig 1983-TS09 [Detailed]

TS2009
    Created by: nawlins
    File Size: 41.79 kb
    KUID: <KUID:117948:1035>
    Date: 26th May 2009
    Downloaded: 3337

Fort William- Mallaig 1981-TS09 [Detailed]

TS2009
    File Size: 34.1 kb
    KUID2: <KUID2:117948:1024:1>
    Date: 26th May 2009
    Downloaded: 5748

Fort William- Mallaig 1982 TS09 [Detailed]

TS2009
    File Size: 32.05 kb
    KUID: <KUID:117948:1037>
    Date: 20th May 2009
    Downloaded: 2652

I'll be updating them for T:ANE so hang on a bit. Shouldn't be too long.

Cheers
    Chris (nawlins)

I'm taking the You Tube Fort William to Mallaig cab ride to get a feel for the lineside vegetation, but I realize now that if I make it "real" it's almost impossible to see anything else but uh, lineside vegetation.
    Last time I had a trip over the Central Wales line it was suffering from an outbreak of "tunnel of trees" syndrome, far worse than in years passed. Much harder to see and appreciate the terrain being travelled through. Many other routes in the real world suffer from this and not just the UK either. Personally I think it's better to craft the route how you want it to be seen, rather than prevent users seeing the distant hills etc. so painstakingly placed and textured.

Last time I had a trip over the Central Wales line it was suffering from an outbreak of "tunnel of trees" syndrome, far worse than in years passed. Much harder to see and appreciate the terrain being travelled through. Many other routes in the real world suffer from this and not just the UK either. Personally I think it's better to craft the route how you want it to be seen, rather than prevent users seeing the distant hills etc. so painstakingly placed and textured.
    That's exactly the type of thing I saw on the You Tube FW-M route Vern. I'll take your advice and use some artistic license.

Cheers
    Chris (nawlins)

Hi everyone. The T:ANE version of the Fort William-Mallaig route and three sessions have been uploaded to the DLS and will be available in the next 24 hours.

Search for username nawlins.
    All assets should be either built-in to T:ANE or on the DLS. If not, please let me know.

Vern, I'd really appreciate it if you'd try it out. Constructive comments are welcome.

The route is fundamentally the same as the TS09 version with procedural track substituted and some invisible signals and a trackmark added to keep T:ANE happy.
    Trees and other vegetation have been updated along with a few other little scenery tweaks.

One of the sessions, Fort William-Mallaig 1983-TANE, needs pikkabird's <kuid2:2512:2382:7> BR Class 37 Reskin Base 2.

This asset must be downloaded from pikkabird's Trainz web site. http://pikkarail.com/trainz

Click on the Class 37 link and look for the Reskinning base templates and download. Unzip and install into TANE.

Unfortunately the pikkabird reskin asset kuid2:2512:2382:7 is faulty. There is a missing texture and the thumbnail needs editing.
    The missing texture can be found in the DLS asset kuid:283805:37015 by tmz06003 and pasted in, You will find the horncover.tga texture in its folder, just copy it over.
    You'll also have to fix the thumbnail. Then you can delete kuid:283805:37015 or not, as you wish.

Sorry for all the bother, but many of the class 37s on the dls are afflicted with some problem or other because they rely on pikkabird's meshes.

Please read the session descriptions.

Thanks
    Last edited by nawlins; May 4th, 2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Modified the pikkabird web site link and removed dropbox link
    Chris (nawlins)

Vern, I'd really appreciate it if you'd try it out. Constructive comments are welcome.
    On my "to do" list Chris. Looking forward to it.

Class 37 - pah! Real men drive the West Highland with a 27!!

Okay Folks, the route and sessions are up on the DLS.

You could put a class 27 session together Vern if you ever get the time. I'd like to see that.

Cheers
    Chris (nawlins)

On my "to do" list Chris. Looking forward to it.

Class 37 - pah! Real men drive the West Highland with a 27!!
    Vern, I was just reminded by Tony that we in fact do have a Cass 27 session on the DLS for TS09. <KUID2:117948:1024:1>. I had totally overlooked that one.

So I shall grab it and make a T:ANE compatible version and the Class 27 will ride again!

Cheers
    Chris (nawlins)

The route is excellent in T:ANE! Thanks.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    The route is excellent in T:ANE! Thanks.

Rob.
    That's good to hear! Thanks for the kind words Rob.

Cheers
    Chris (nawlins)