Trainzkuidindex.com to be closed soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many unknown dependencies are found on Jointed Rail and they are somewhat supported by N3V

Whats this got to do with a site going bust ?, The sooner those who want to upload either route's or items on the DLS or on their own site LEARN how to either list where items can be found or package them together the better it will be for the whinger's constantly looking for stuff, Personally if i cant find a Kuid within a certain amount of time what ever it came from gets kicked to the kerb.
The amount of sooking on here lately because of this Kuid hunting is becoming a joke :hehe:.
Cheers Mick.

Well said Matruck. If you download an item with missing dependencies, kick it into touch and move on. It is the same with this site, if it has not got the finances to support itself, let it close and we will all move on.
Bill

Wait wait wait! You could use Google sites!

If you have suficent finances to rent enought space on Google drive or Google plus Trainz_12_Fan, doutless the files could be housed there. I am sure we all look forward to your announcement that you have set that up.

Bill

Hi Shane and everybody.
If it's like other Google services, it's got a space limitation (17GB) and may even have problems with more advanced features.

Shane

Shane, you are correct that Google Drive does have a limit of 17 gigabytes of storage space for users and many do not have that total limit unless they have purchased other Google products in the past. I have never used the site which may be closed down so I am unaware of the intricacies of it's storage.

However, if the data could be stored on Google Drive in spreadsheet form, then with open access to the space, users may be able to find a missing kuid just by using the Chrome Web browser and googling the number

Just a thought.
Bill

Last edited:
Actually it's Only 15GB and some of us got an extra 2GB for a security check bonus that happened in 2015.
And it's shared across Gmail, Google Drive and Google Photos, stuff created with Google Apps doesn't come off the total though.

I've used the site countless times. It's very helpful. It not only helps you find missing kuids, you end up discovering trainz content websites you wouldn't have known existed. I can kick in $50 if a few others can join to keep the site running. Or if it's members only $15yr is very reasonable, I'd do that too.

Dang. TKI has been an extremely valuable tool in my never-ending search for missing assets, and it will really be a shame to see it go. I think $15 per year is very, very reasonable for such an invaluable service. Looks like I better get some searches out of the way while I still have time.

If I knew anything about running a website (aside from those free Weebly sites), I would be more than happy to take it over.

Matt

Hi Malc and everybody.
Actually it's Only 15GB and some of us got an extra 2GB for a security check bonus that happened in 2015.
And it's shared across Gmail, Google Drive and Google Photos, stuff created with Google Apps doesn't come off the total though.

I got 17GB as i have purchased several Google OS devises over the last few years. Malc do you know if photos edited with Snapspeed (an app developed by Google) comes off the total when saved to drive or has it to be those edited in Google's native Chrome photo editor. I use Picsart for photo editing at present but with over three thousand photos stored on Drive it certainly takes up considerable space.

Going back to using Google drive for storing the data of the website under discussion, perhaps someone could contact Google to discuss how that best could be done. I along with several company personal in this area regularly give direct feedback to Google in regard to their development of the OS platform for buissness. We have always found them very approachable and accessable, so they may well be able to suggest how best to accommodate the needs perhaps by way of Google plus.

I will not promise to help myself as we are far to busy in the office at the moment. A number of us have been working throughout the Easter holiday supplemented by a few visits to the pub to gain liquid sustenance which seemed to make the work to far easier each time we came back.
Bill

Last edited:
If you have suficent finances to rent enought space on Google drive or Google plus Trainz_12_Fan, doutless the files could be housed there. I am sure we all look forward to your announcement that you have set that up.

Bill

There have been free offers to host, I would imagine the database might be a problem. Disk space is not a problem for many with 1and1 websites with unlimited storage.

Cheerio John

Whats this got to do with a site going bust ?, The sooner those who want to upload either route's or items on the DLS or on their own site LEARN how to either list where items can be found or package them together the better it will be for the whinger's constantly looking for stuff, Personally if i cant find a Kuid within a certain amount of time what ever it came from gets kicked to the kerb.
The amount of sooking on here lately because of this Kuid hunting is becoming a joke :hehe:.
Cheers Mick.
Well, I suppose that I have to agree. I was having mixed feelings about all of this, mostly because it is sad to see a good site go by the wayside. I have used it a few times myself; but I find that I use it less and less as time goes on, exactly because of what you are saying. I have wasted far too much time looking for dependencies for routes that are incomplete in some way. If the dependencies aren't clearly indicated upon downloading, the route, session, or whatever gets the boot.

I think the early failure of the T:ANE CM to allow cut-and-paste of kuids was the turning point for me. I grew weary of hand-typing the information in and decided, "I don't have time for this!" Coupled with the many sites that end up defunct, or you access the links only to find that the single, puny "unknown asset" is buried in a 2 GB dependencies package along with 1.999 GB of stuff you don't want or need...

I would still hate to see Trainzkuidindex go, though!

Hi Malc and everybody.

I got 17GB as i have purchased several Google OS devises over the last few years. Malc do you know if photos edited with Snapspeed (an app developed by Google) comes off the total when saved to drive or has it to be those edited in Google's native Chrome photo editor. I use Picsart for photo editing at present but with over three thousand photos stored on Drive it certainly takes up considerable space.

Not sure on that but I'm assuming that with Photos as they take up a lot of space they are more than likely counted in the Google Drive total, irrespective of what they were edited in. The free items are likely to be documents spreadsheets etc created with Google Apps which normally don't take up much space although there can be exceptions.
Having got a paid ImageShack account, I haven't used Google for any images, mainly use Google as a temporary place to transfer stuff to others from and Store the 13 Years worth of Emails I've had since the Original Gmail Beta.

Well, I suppose that I have to agree. I was having mixed feelings about all of this, mostly because it is sad to see a good site go by the wayside. I have used it a few times myself; but I find that I use it less and less as time goes on, exactly because of what you are saying. I have wasted far too much time looking for dependencies for routes that are incomplete in some way. If the dependencies aren't clearly indicated upon downloading, the route, session, or whatever gets the boot.

I think the early failure of the T:ANE CM to allow cut-and-paste of kuids was the turning point for me. I grew weary of hand-typing the information in and decided, "I don't have time for this!" Coupled with the many sites that end up defunct, or you access the links only to find that the single, puny "unknown asset" is buried in a 2 GB dependencies package along with 1.999 GB of stuff you don't want or need...

I would still hate to see Trainzkuidindex go, though!

I agree with everything you have said here, and I have had the same experience - a missing dependency is inside a 436mb cdp of assets for some other route.

I find that I have recently begun to boot routes, layouts and sessions that are incomplete and having thirty, fourty, fifty (or sometimes more) unknown assets.

I also agree that it would be a great shame if the site fell by the wayside.

On the other hand, CM is not recognising assets from older versions. Last night I downloaded five assets built for TRS 2004 and on the DLS which CM labelled "unknown"...

So we are really going to be between a rock and a *very* *hard* *place* if we loose TKI.

You all seem to think that the demise of the web site is inevitable, it is not. If enough people contribute to help Pierre pay for his web site and the expenses related to running it, then it can continue to provide the service that you have all used in the past and seem to regret losing. He doesn't need an alternative site, as he has said, transferring to another host would be difficult.

Instead of moaning about losing this facility, front up with some financial support on a regular basis. If enough people do this, the cost to the individual contributor could be less than a cup of coffee per year, less that the Download Tickets you are happy to pay for.

If Pierre does have to close the site, it does not say much for the comradeship between Trainz users. Disappointing!

PeterPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back