Trainzkuidindex.com to be closed soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: How would one be able to verify one's identity (age ) on the internet? Anyone can say he or she is over 16 and I think we all know nowadays faked identities are
more common than exceptions. ID cards from friends can be used...., etc. Then there are also privacy laws which differ from country to country. I think it is unfeasible.

Yes, unfeasible. The only result will be that most of people will lie and very few people will pay. And in any case, people under age 18 need parents assistance (Paypal user agreement).

Nevertheless I can propose a page on the site for registered people who want to pay the subscription for other registered people (as gift or to help them).

Pierre

So, let me get this straight: rather than just leaving the site up with the kuids already found, you intend to put it behind a paywall?!

Please don't. Alot of us don't have easy access to payment on the internet. My parents won't let me use my debit card on the internet because they think my information will be stolen more easily than if I had a credit card, and they won't let me use PayPal because they also think it's unsecure, and also a scam.

For your information, I believe PayPal's reputation is second-to-none. It's simple and easy to use.

I've been using PayPal for nearly 20 years now and use it constantly to purchase items from many countries. I have never had a problem with their system and they also provide a 100% guarantee to reimburse if you do happen to fall prey to some uncouth dealer.

I have no objection to help Pierre maintain such a good database. I've used Trainzkuidindex many times to help sort out a few problems.

Cheers,
Roy

The original donations were thru Paypal.

All the whining about Paypal is moot.

None of the whiners contributed the first time around.

Harold

Last edited:
Currently I am modifying some parts of the site to implement an annual subscription for the kuid search. It will take a few days as I must implement more of the Paypal API and upgrade for a new version of PHP.
The minimum subscription will be 15US$ per year but people will be able to give more if they want.

Pierre

Hi Pierre, thanks for sharing this. Count me in, I will take a subscription, and when possible, offer more.

:D

For your information, I believe PayPal's reputation is second-to-none. It's simple and easy to use.

I've been using PayPal for nearly 20 years now and use it constantly to purchase items from many countries. I have never had a problem with their system and they also provide a 100% guarantee to reimburse if you do happen to fall prey to some uncouth dealer.

I have no objection to help Pierre maintain such a good database. I've used Trainzkuidindex many times to help sort out a few problems.

Cheers,
Roy

I agree with Roy, paypal is safe to use. I have never had problems with it.

I have also implemented Paypal on many websites, safe and secure. Absolutely.

I will sadly admit that I have not contributed in the past to this site but did not realize the money necessary to run it. I would be more than happy to pay a yearly fee to keep a membership to the site as it's bailed me out of so many issues. Please keep us updated if you intend to run a subscription-based site!

Also, as an extra source of revenue could you incorporate ads into the site? I know a lot of people might groan but ads might help you raise a little extra money. It's just a thought. We hope we can all find a way to keep it going!

Maybe I'm too late, but i would offer free hosting of Trainzkuidindex including the domain if necessary.

Regarding the fee... i dont think way more people will pay than at the moment.
On the other hand: Isn't it possible to have more people to maintain the database? Maybe a function to report broken links and keep things up-to date?

So you could reduce your work load a lot and have more time for the things that really give you money...

no no no no no! I am not letting you to do that, I will be searching as many missing kuids as possible!

Same here, site has saved me many times in finding missing kuid's quick.

So if i need to pay a subscription for it, i will, no problem.

Site closed for maintenance -> will reopen in a few days

The site is now closed for a few days to finish the migration. In addition to the fee paying process, I undertake a set of technical migrations essential for the futur of the site.

When trainzkuidindex will reopen, you will have to pay a (small) subscription fee to access to the kuid search for 1 year. The minimum fee is 15 USD, but you can give more if you want (25 USD, 40 USD, 90 USD). If you want give other amount you can change the quantity before to pay on Paypal site : for example if you want give 30 USD, you can choose 15 USD and type 2 in the quantity field on Paypal page.

You will be able to choose between 4 currencies : USD, GBP, EUR and AUD, with a corresponding amont according to the change (approximatively, don't think I will check the change every days !).

To insure the sustainability of trainzkuidindex, you can help me to promote the site and explain to other members of the community why users have to pay this small fee to use trainzkuidindex and why it will not be a good idea to try to cheat (i.e. share user name and password).

Of course if not enough people accept to pay this small fee, this will be a problem, meaning that trainzkuidindex is not so much usefull. But in any case you can be reassured that the site will never be closed before the end of the last paid subscription. So you can subscribe without fear to lost your money.

As long as people pay subscription, the data base will be regularly updated.

Pierre

A $15 USD annual subscription is quite reasonable. The site is now even more valuable if N3V retains the red markers for missing assets, which in many cases, are carried in off-DLS sites in various countries. I sometime go to a site and find many exceptional assets that more than warrant their use. Many route creators also find such nuggets. Then when they create a route these off-DLS items appear in their creations. The end user is often not aware of where the missing item came from. The KUID Locator site is invaluable in finding those sources.

Because of the time-consuming work to keep up-to-date the data base and the weak support of the community to help, and also because I have no more money and I need to spend my time to find money now, I decide to close the site in a few days.

I am very sad of that situation and I apologize to the thousands of users who make every month more than 20.000 requests for finding missing kuid.

Many thanks to the 69 people who support my work by donating. I apologize to them too.

Pierre[

No nie wierzę jak ja teraz znajdę brakujące Quidy przecież byłem zarejestrowany na tej Stronie :(

Hope the migration goes well and you can safely get the database and all its links across to the new host.

Look forward to joining in with the subscription. It is a very reasonable subscription for the service it offers.

Thanks, Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back