Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainzkuidindex.com to be closed soon

Default Trainzkuidindex.com to be closed soon

Because of the time-consuming work to keep up-to-date the data base and the weak support of the community to help, and also because I have no more money and I need to spend my time to find money now, I decide to close the site in a few days.

I am very sad of that situation and I apologize to the thousands of users who make every month more than 20.000 requests for finding missing kuid.

Many thanks to the 69 people who support my work by donating. I apologize to them too.

Pierre
    Find the needle in the haystack...

United States of America, Wisconsin, Beloit

Sorry to hear, your site really helped me locate a few missing KUIDs, best site there

I will miss your site
    Last edited by hiawathamr; April 11th, 2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Hiawathamr
    http://hiawathamr.weebly.com/
    Latest Trainz being used:

United States of America, ill, Rock Island

ahhhh bummer one of the best trainz sites out there. If possible can someone take over the site from you if they wanted too?
    Last edited by fourteen; April 11th, 2017 at 10:00 PM.
    Modeling Ho scale on the cheap

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by pierreparis View Post
    Because of the time-consuming work to keep up-to-date the data base and the weak support of the community to help, and also because I have no more money and I need to spend my time to find money now, I decide to close the site in a few days.

I am very sad of that situation and I apologize to the thousands of users who make every month more than 20.000 requests for finding missing kuid.

Many thanks to the 69 people who support my work by donating. I apologize to them too.

Pierre
    Indeed this is a very sad day, maybe you could start a Kickstarter request and possibly folks will support?

https://www.kickstarter.com/

I am one of your supporters and I do understand, this is something that has to be funded.

Wish you the best luck, and thank you for the great site. It will be sorely missed.

Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe

Sad to hear! I would help but my money pile is very small at the moment

Pierre

Assuming that you do no more searching for KUIDs, what are your fixed costs for running your website? In effect you freeze it at its current state and devote yourself to finding the money you need. If people could pledge to support that, would it help?

You could also change the site so that people have to register (and pay a fee) to search the site.

edit :- You say "in a few days", is this because you have to renew the site or close it. What do you need right now?

Peter
    Last edited by narrowgauge; April 11th, 2017 at 11:41 PM.
    NVidea GTX960, AMD 8320-8 core 3.5ghz, C drive-Samsung EVO 500gb, Trainz drive-Sandisk 240gb, memory 16gb. BenQ Cad/Cam monitor BL 2710

United States of America, ill, Rock Island

Narrowguage, That is good question's.
    Modeling Ho scale on the cheap

Presumably it will be archived on the Wayback Machine? I can still find snapshots of my long closed websites on there.

Is there any chance of asking N3V whether they could host what is quite a vital service to many Trainz users?
    TANE...Resistance Is Futile

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Presumably it will be archived on the Wayback Machine? I can still find snapshots of my long closed websites on there.

Is there any chance of asking N3V whether they could host what is quite a vital service to many Trainz users?
    The root cause of missing kuids is that they are on 3rd-party websites instead of the N3V Download Station. I wouldn't expect N3V to, in effect, support 3rd-party websites in any way.
    T:ANE SP2 build 88348
    Win 10, i7 5820K 3.30GHz, Republic of Gamers, 32GB ram, GTX 980 Ti, 2x512GB SSDs.

Blog Entries

As one of the supporters of the website I'm saddened to hear about it's impending closure as it's a very useful resource.

Unfortunately as I'm reliant on disability related income there's only so much I will be able to do to help keep it going financially. I do help keep at least one other Trainzers site going via my own webservers though.

Shane
    Shane Turner
    Technical and DirectX Advisor - Not affiliated with N3V

My Forum -- PevSoft Tools -- Tutorial List (inc DirectX) -- My Utilities --TrainzTutorials.com

This is sad news indeed.

I manage a number of websites myself, and cough up funds for hosting and domain names regularly. In fact, I will be coughing up some $$$ tomorrow. Its getting more expensive, and then there is the cloud. That comes free, but the better and faster ones cost. So I understand what Pierre is saying.

If a website gets belted (i.e, too many visitors,) it goes offline until the hits fall below a defined rate. You want to keep it online you pay more. This is where the unexpected cost is. And the visitors don't see that. And then search engines, bots and crawlers are in there too.

There are many variables to keeping a site online. The site is worth saving although, and I just wonder what kind of user-pays model will cover the costs.
    Speak the truth, follow right conduct; all else will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by narrowgauge View Post
    Pierre

Assuming that you do no more searching for KUIDs, what are your fixed costs for running your website? In effect you freeze it at its current state and devote yourself to finding the money you need. If people could pledge to support that, would it help?

You could also change the site so that people have to register (and pay a fee) to search the site.

edit :- You say "in a few days", is this because you have to renew the site or close it. What do you need right now?

Peter

Peter

Yes, I must renew the hosting next month. And yes I could pay for 1 year more, it not so expansive (120 euros/Y). But if I stop to crawl Trainz fan sites and don't update trainzkuidindex, the data base will become obsolete very quickly, and the site quite useless after 1 year. Many links change very quickly on Internet for various raisons : when I begin to crawl I was very suprised by that.
    Pay a fee : how many people will accept to pay arround 15 US$ per year ? I worry, that, instead to pay, some guys share 1 username/password with many people on some forum. My feeling is that people don't have money for that.

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post

You will find trainzkuidindex on the Wayback Machine, but not the data base ... So no answer to your request for missing kuid ...

Another expense to running a website, if you have a customer login, you will soon need to provide a secure web addres, i.e. httpS//www. etc.
    I have 3 sales sites running at the moment and I am only selling stuff from my collections (hoards) but try to log in with some browsers and you get a "this connection is not secure" message. These security certificates will cost about 50.00 GBP each year for each web address!
    I don't have any personal payment details on my sites, customer pays by clicking a Pay by PayPal button.

Here is what I get on Trainz Portal in Firefox browser...

Last edited by euromodeller; April 12th, 2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Building Anaheim DE...slowly!

Very sorry to see this go. It makes me feel bad for not contributing to the site.
    www.ministerfarrigut.wix.com/2017
    Here is my website. Do not be afraid to visit it.