Progress on the Uintah RW

Strange white lines shown in Todays Pictures?

Good Day dangavel,

:confused: In msg #40, I see some kind of white lines next to your engine and several white narrow lines going in several different directions along the Hill Top?

May I inquire what they are, are they a Ruler of sort, do you use them for elevation changes?

I had seen this on some others layouts in the past........Your pictures just jogged my memory that I didn't know or understand what they are.

Good Day dangavel,

:confused: In msg #40, I see some kind of white lines next to your engine and several white narrow lines going in several different directions along the Hill Top?

May I inquire what they are, are they a Ruler of sort, do you use them for elevation changes?

I had seen this on some others layouts in the past........Your pictures just jogged my memory that I didn't know or understand what they are.

hi blue, because TANE's built in rulers have ceased to work i'm using the 100 ft ruler and 50ft ruler asset. very handy tool .its height adjustable. the only downside is their spline points can lock with track/ if you search dls and look for rulers,its easy to find , theres also a vertical one thats very good .if you zoom in you can see divisions on the ruler , so they can be as accurate as the built in rulers and they never disappear :)
there are also mile and half mile rulers, but these are flakey in TANE and have a rotten habit of disappearing just when you need them !

hi blue, because TANE's built in rulers have ceased to work i'm using the 100 ft ruler and 50ft ruler asset. very handy tool .its height adjustable. the only downside is their spline points can lock with track/ if you search dls and look for rulers,its easy to find , theres also a vertical one thats very good .if you zoom in you can see divisions on the ruler , so they can be as accurate as the built in rulers and they never disappear :)
there are also mile and half mile rulers, but these are flakey in TANE and have a rotten habit of disappearing just when you need them !

:D Thank you sir,

Works for me and height adjustable will really come in handy so I don't have to keep going back to get a measurement readings in certain areas of my route when I need absolute heights markers for Detail stuff. :cool:

Thank you for the warnings with said Assets, never a dull moment in Trainz, surprises when you least expect it?

Track laying is now up the top of the south side of baxter pass, the "lone tree" curve stretch .i'm posting this to give an idea of the terrain on this stretch and what the 7.5 percent grade looks like
May i stress THIS IS NOT COMPLETE,other than the grade is mostly 7.5 and the curves placement of the track and alignment are correct up to about 10 feet of the original /current road placement, length/distance from other definable objects has been measured against google earth satellite maps.
c86LGhT.jpg

T1BFJsd.jpg

WW2XhwC.jpg

WY7hLOE.jpg

CzHgBRA.jpg

wsyQ3VC.jpg

lfLOxgF.jpg

fOSkhY4.jpg

this is what a 7.5 grade looks like from the side.....

Last edited:
Dang ! That looks like you are approaching the top of the world !

Baxter Pass Trail climbs over 6,000 vertical feet from the desert to the crest of the Sierra Nevada. Beginning at an elevation of 6,000 feet, it ascends to 12,300 foot Baxter Pass in 7.2 miles. At the top of the pass, the trail enters Kings Canyon National Park.

Holy Smokes Sir Dangavel,

:cool: that is some shot going up the side of a massive Mountain Grade, real Railroading at it's best, really like the Shay, amazing that at that grade it can pull that many cars...........Great work sir.........:Y:

Dang ! That looks like you are approaching the top of the world !

Baxter Pass Trail climbs over 6,000 vertical feet from the desert to the crest of the Sierra Nevada. Beginning at an elevation of 6,000 feet, it ascends to 12,300 foot Baxter Pass in 7.2 miles. At the top of the pass, the trail enters Kings Canyon National Park.
wrong baxter pass i am afraid, this ones in Colorado, not California :) it s not quite that high, around 8.400 ft methinks

mcandrews lake , been working on this, as well the top of baxter pass. I raised whole area about 6 to 8 metres and got as far as hairpin bend track laying
.dropped in a few shrubs etc to give a bit of atmosphere
RDGjTl2.jpg

Replicating a 1910 train using 2 shays, same load, but wrong locos.
MZzYfMt.jpg

Bktgmls.png

i4ICBcQ.jpg

a steady 5percent grade here on to baxter pass.
8X0nri5.jpg

qOUod9c.jpg

will post images of the top of baxter pass tomorrow

Dan, I hate to heckle, but those are West Side Lumber shays without tenders, ya need the 2-truck shay by Zapperjet

read my reply to you a few pages back regarding the last time you made such a similar comment JC it still stands.
i'm not ever going to reply to any of your comments again.
Warning, the next screenshot will have either Thomas the tank engine or a GP as motive power with a mix of Russian ,Mexican and Spanish rolling stock behind it, if using the wrong shay gets you upset, then you'd better lie down when that little lot comes on your screen :)

Last edited:
Happy Father's day, and I have to say, the Grades, the Foliage on your Desert look great........Awesome work sir........

i have decided to reform and now only post strictly prototypical shots of rolling stock in action
here we see uintah 21 pulling its regulation single coach up towards the summit on the Dragon side of Baxter Pass.
SkpahrE.png

qvBQ6Zc.png

yWvJZCb.png

s4GlWgo.png

U7zoqxK.png

xq2gQCI.png

NkJzpas.png

58qs2dq.png

management also had to run an extra with some imported stock :)
pZrPuz3.png

don't blame me, its the managements fault !

Last edited:
Very nice scenes!!

The green stuff made it come to life so to speak! Lonely, feel, I like it, well done!

Linda

Very nice scenes!!

The green stuff made it come to life so to speak! Lonely, feel, I like it, well done!

Linda
the whole area has to be covered, its going to take ages,as this part is densely vegetated most of the Uintah is scrubby sage ,with little vegetation of any kind near wagons, but the baxter pass is a mix of pinyon/ juniper aspens and scrub oak, i finally found a scrub oak , its on dlc called "scrib"oak, but unfortunately there only one size, and no spline version. the other issue is, will the route run smoothly when its covered in vegetation, only time will tell.
i changed the track too a no ballast version and this sin;t interacting well with TANE 2 on windows, just downloaded a new copy of this version for mac and will see if same thing happens to the track in SP2 as theres no other 36 inch version that i like that looks like the uintah track. i do not want to stuff up my sp1 version if it causes issues with assets, version one is bad enough as it is :)

Back