Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Progress on the Uintah RW

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    theres some shots of the Shays here, they had long coal bunkers , separate tenders were not a good idea as they needed all the weight they could get on the engine to assist with traction , same with the 2-6-6-2s once they took the water tanks off the boiler on the Sumpter Valley Rwy, they were something of a disappointment . http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read....643#msg-189643
    Ah i see, looked a bit off with the truck sicking out
    "The Dutch Line"

Been a busy month, but kept in working on Baxter pass, this time the McAndrews lake side.

WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Default Approaching columbine

once again the Uintah presents us with both a spectacular vista and fascinating track patterns. The balloon loop was removed once the 2-6-6-2s were introduced and there was less need of a banker but I've kept it there as its so picturesque.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Yesterday measured how much more work is needed to complete the detailing, about 33 miles of canyon and vegetation to complete , a mile o two extra near Mack where the standard gauge line meets the 3ft and then I may have to change most of the sage due to it looking worse each time the game is updated. I keep on seeing areas that I was happy with two years ago, which now look crap..... busy making new shrubs using Harold minkys blueprints, don't expect it will ever get finished at this rate..... I'm also tempted to do the tunnel and standard gauge another version so can run drgw stock and locos on it eventually.
    Last edited by dangavel; November 2nd, 2020 at 06:07 PM.

Looking outstanding!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Looking outstanding!
    Using different vegetation has helped , I have buried a lot of the rmm kust large shrubs under the ground so just parts are visible , avoids repetition and has added advantage of cutting down on gpu use , I have lightened up all the jvc hm blueprint firs so they are not so dark, but of course that means yet another lot of reskins to go on the Dls , seems the route makers work is never done ��

VERY NICE!!!

the st_rmn stuff looks very nice too, going with them would look pretty nice.
    "The Dutch Line"

Quote Originally Posted by kcwright_rm View Post
    VERY NICE!!!

the st_rmn stuff looks very nice too, going with them would look pretty nice.
    I'm using them in place of clams bush set which has been becoming more see through as the game has " improved "' the kusts are stand ins for scrub oaks , which grow low in this area. Unfortunately they can't be used much past Baxter pass, or past atchee as they only grow in higher altitudes . I am facing the prospect of also substituting something for the aging jvc bushes I'm using as sage, as they are looking rather cruddy next to the newer shrubs and trees. Veg is a bane on this route and always has been, I have lost count of the days I've spent looking for, adapting and agonising over getting stuff that works in this sort of environment. I find something, use it and then find it has a downside such as it can't be modded , or it's obsolete, or it kills the GPU .
    I moved down the valley past Wendella and found that I have to replace all of clam's bushes along the river banks with bushes using the minke blueprints, as the clam bushes now don't hide the joins between creek bank splines and the ground, and they look weird from a distance. it's most annoying when stuff one has used which was fine just a year ago has now got to be changed. Of course as I'm still working in sp3 and if I release it no doubt the route will look crap in 2019 and I'll be fielding complaints that half the assets won't work or people can't find them, it's never ending , ah well....such is life
    Last edited by dangavel; November 15th, 2020 at 03:51 AM.

thanks to the highly esteemed Ben Neal his 3ft shay now has a straight stack and a coal load ! it should be able to double as the early Uintah shay No 2 once the paintwork is fixed .

Cool Ben Neal's Shay would look great on the Uintah RR

thanks to the highly esteemed Ben Neal his 3ft shay now has a straight stack and a coal load ! it should be able to double as the early Uintah shay No 2 once the paintwork is fixed .
    Evening Sir Dan Gavel,

Like the Locomotive, and I say, go for it........Looking over your Shrub Pictures, sorry to hear about the problems with Plants, and you are absolutely right, a ROUTE BUILDER'S Work is never done, almost like you've gotten married to the Job as they say.......

Despite the visual issues, I always enjoy the Realistic looking Route u have created so far.........It's so stunning and breath taking to look at.......

Keep the faith Sir.......Love your work.........You know I do.......

Have a Blessed Sunday, don't forget to Breath and take a little break here and there.....All my best!

Quote Originally Posted by blueodessey View Post
    Evening Sir Dan Gavel,

Like the Locomotive, and I say, go for it........Looking over your Shrub Pictures, sorry to hear about the problems with Plants, and you are absolutely right, a ROUTE BUILDER'S Work is never done, almost like you've gotten married to the Job as they say.......

Despite the visual issues, I always enjoy the Realistic looking Route u have created so far.........It's so stunning and breath taking to look at.......

Keep the faith Sir.......Love your work.........You know I do.......

Have a Blessed Sunday, don't forget to Breath and take a little break here and there.....All my best!

its really good of Ben to make this available and I must say the short stack suits the engine . I'm quite pleased with the Minky trees and shrubs and anyway, until somebody makes some decent ones for 2019, I have no other option , nothing comes close to looking like this neck of the woods veg. i probably am alone on this but i think most of the built in trees in 2019 are not very convincing, theres a certain cartoonlike look to them , especially when they have autumn colors, Mcguirrels Oak looks the best of the lot . The downside of billboard trees is they will not allow bent trunks........ but Harold and jvc certainly made them look a lot better than they did before,comparing them with some others they look pretty convincing in TANE .

Blog Entries

its really good of Ben to make this available and I must say the short stack suits the engine . I'm quite pleased with the Minky trees and shrubs and anyway, until somebody makes some decent ones for 2019, I have no other option , nothing comes close to looking like this neck of the woods veg. i probably am alone on this but i think most of the built in trees in 2019 are not very convincing, theres a certain cartoonlike look to them , especially when they have autumn colors, Mcguirrels Oak looks the best of the lot . The downside of billboard trees is they will not allow bent trunks........ but Harold and jvc certainly made them look a lot better than they did before,comparing them with some others they look pretty convincing in TANE .
    Dan, I repainted Ben's B28-2 3'ng Shay a few years back and converted the wood bin to coal to represent Shays No 2 & 3 on the McKelvey Brother's Logging RR. While the McKelvey's RR has been penciled in on my EBT route for a long, long time I finally got around to actually doing some serious track work. My EBT route seems to be a project that's destined to always be a wip.

The McKelveys had a small sawmill and about 20 miles of 3' ng that interfaced with the EBT at Rockhill Furnace and ran south to Ft. Littleton in south central PA area. Most all the logging was done in that area and the cut timber hauled to the sawmill near Rockhill Furnace. I'm still in the process of adding it in and grading it as I have only a printed description of the operation that includes a couple of sketches of the track at at both ends. Almost all the railcars used on the line were EBT flat cars.

The locos used a straight stack in the wet season and a diamond one in the dry to cut down on brush fires. So your pic above is not just interesting but very encouraging that the McKelvey locos might get the same treatment someday.

This is a pic of No 2 on the logging track. The lower switchback on the valley floor is just barely visible. The valley track follows on thru the gap and turns to the left and heads a few miles south where much of the timber was cut.

McKelvey Bros No 2.

Bob Pearson
    TRAINZ-UTC-TRS04-TRS06-TC1&2-TC3-TS09-TS10-TS12-TANE(TEG)-TMR17-TRS19
    Member since 6-14-2002

United States of America, New Mexico, Mora

The shay looks nice with the straight stack. Didn't you post asking about speedtree status back in June? Did you ever hear from N3V about it?

I seem to remember that N3V was allowing people access to Speedtree modeler/license if you request with the content creation team and they did a video on creating Speedtree assets two years ago. The video is over at Trainz Content Creation web site.

I Like that a ton!
    "The Dutch Line"

Quote Originally Posted by ursa2 View Post
    The shay looks nice with the straight stack. Didn't you post asking about speedtree status back in June? Did you ever hear from N3V about it?

I seem to remember that N3V was allowing people access to Speedtree modeler/license if you request with the content creation team and they did a video on creating Speedtree assets two years ago. The video is over at Trainz Content Creation web site.

My understanding is that the speedtree deal is no longer operating as they upgraded the software, but I could be wrong, I know JVC lost his access to the program and that why he stopped making any more trees. We had a thread where I asked nv3 what the future was for trees and shrubs and they basically said ' make your own , we have no plans to expand what we provide". Essentially I'm having to stop work on the route itself because of the transparency issue until I make these billboard shrubs and trees , as no one is out there that I know of making any for the rocky mountains, they will be a slight improvement over what I have and I don't care if they look lousy in 2019 as I have no plans to make any routes specifically for that version of the software. I'm doing about 8 sagebrush variations, , rabbit bush, pinon pine/utah juniper and rocky mountain junipers, they don't look too bad,but the images take forever to cut out .
    Last edited by dangavel; November 19th, 2020 at 08:12 PM.