Progress on the Uintah RW

SUCCESS !!

i think, it took far less time to delete the boards in both sections of the route than i thought it would, a matter of around 4 hours, so I was mentally making a rod for my own back in not attempting this task beforehand . I do tend to suffer from events that took place when I was working and the result is I sometimes procrastinate and put off doing things which i could easily have done months ago, the only good thing that came out of this little escapade was i did create the standard gauge timber ridge and digitised most of my live music collection in the past few months, i did really need a break from trainz as i was fed up to the back teeth this its problems.
Anyway, the merge seems to have worked , I freaked out for a minute or two as my first attempt left to trees floating about 30 feet above the terrain, but i discovered I'd slotted the routes togetherincorrectly , no red squares, but i was two boards out , which resulted in some strange results with both terrain and items, all sorted not tho,...i hope :)

Now I have to run a train all over the route to see to check if there is any damage to any other sections. hopefully not.

i will be putting up some nearly completed sections of the route as soon as i can get them sorted so they can be run on , say, without a cliff being in the middle of the track !!!. rainbow to cowboy being the most sorted of the sections i will add that first., in the hope that having a route out there might inspire some content creators to either complete rolling stock and locos or start to do so.
watch this space for updates.

Wonderful to hear sir! Glad things worked out better than expected!

yes, EXCEPT, and there always seems to be one, i cant upload the part route form Rainbow to Cowboy as there are about 12 items made by someone else for me, I forgot to ask him to upload them to the DLS , so waiting on these items as they are essential as they are mine splines and buildings.
Also to complicate matters further, I had my windows TANE install on an external drive which I connected when I needed to use it, as the laptop drive isnt big enough to contain a full install of both TANE and 2019, of course when I got to try it out today, , although I can see it and use it on my mac computer , the drive cannot be seen at all on either of the windows laptops we have. it may be a faulty drive dock, but whatever, I cannot use the windows install as i usually do to check which items are missing from the DLS. so as usual, I cant do much at present, which is very annoying. I suppose i'll have to try and find my tane 3 installer and install it on the other mac pro I have and check the assets via that .

Sounds like your external hard drive is failing. My external hard drive failed soon after SP4 came out and my parents' Mac laptops would recognize the files on the external hard drive, but my mom's work laptop and my desktop, both of which run Windows, didn't recognize the files on the external hard drive. My dad tried copying the files onto a CD on his Mac laptop and then onto my new external hard drive once I got it on my Windows desktop, but that didn't work.

Sounds like your external hard drive is failing. My external hard drive failed soon after SP4 came out and my parents' Mac laptops would recognize the files on the external hard drive, but my mom's work laptop and my desktop, both of which run Windows, didn't recognize the files on the external hard drive. My dad tried copying the files onto a CD on his Mac laptop and then onto my new external hard drive once I got it on my Windows desktop, but that didn't work.

it was visible in mac os, so i copied it all onto another drive, formatted a 32gb usb drive to ex fat and its hopefully installing onto windows 10 as I type. Fat 32 format would not allow such a large file and an NFTS formatted drive doesn't allow me to copy items from mac to pc.
now, if this is a no no re copyright., please let me know and i will not consider this, but if anyone wants to run shays on the uintah, I could provide the reskin artwork for some shays that are on the DLS and if Togog is ok with it, i can provide reskin artwork for his early 2-8-2 drgw which resembles uintah 2.8-2- number 30 . The Ben Neal 0-6-2s will run but need some fixes, again i could provide the configs needed to make them work in TANE but i am not going to provide support for any missing items that do not affect running as this is a WIP and i want to get on with working on the whole route.

Hello Dan,
I had a lot of work until then. Now I should be able to make a 2-8-0 locomotive #10 or 12 from my 2-8-0 C-18 #315. I also need to be able to make a 2-8-2 locomotive #30 from one of my locomotives 2-8-2 K-27. I hope I can do this job quickly.

Hello Dan,
I had a lot of work until then. Now I should be able to make a 2-8-0 locomotive #10 or 12 from my 2-8-0 C-18 #315. I also need to be able to make a 2-8-2 locomotive #30 from one of my locomotives 2-8-2 K-27. I hope I can do this job quickly.
Fabulous news, many thanks , I was using your c18s as rescind and your early k27 as they are so close in design.grest news , they will need to work in tane sp3 though as for the moment, I'm not up to moving the route into ts 2019, that may eventuate down the track, but I'm not up to the job at the moment .

Hello Dan,

This is great news that the Uintah project is going again. I'm looking forward to being able to get it. By the way I showed this form post with some of your screen shots of what you have done at the 2021 Sn3 Symposium and got a few people interested in it and Trainz. Those that saw it were very impress by what you have done. I hope you don't mind.

This is only a suggestion, but have you looked at GitHub for storing you Trainz project? It is free for 500MB (there is a cost if you need more). I’m looking at starting a Trainz project and plan to use GitHub, myself especially since I’m hoping to get other people to join in to help. The project is to create the Rio Grande Southern route for Trainz much like what you have done for the Uintah. I have all the ICC maps for the RGS (in pdf) and I’m currently working on getting them over to Google Earth and then using TrainzDEM to make the basic route. I will most likely start asking for help early 2022, once I get the basic route done.

Hello Dan,

This is great news that the Uintah project is going again. I'm looking forward to being able to get it. By the way I showed this form post with some of your screen shots of what you have done at the 2021 Sn3 Symposium and got a few people interested in it and Trainz. Those that saw it were very impress by what you have done. I hope you don't mind.

This is only a suggestion, but have you looked at GitHub for storing you Trainz project? It is free for 500MB (there is a cost if you need more). I’m looking at starting a Trainz project and plan to use GitHub, myself especially since I’m hoping to get other people to join in to help. The project is to create the Rio Grande Southern route for Trainz much like what you have done for the Uintah. I have all the ICC maps for the RGS (in pdf) and I’m currently working on getting them over to Google Earth and then using TrainzDEM to make the basic route. I will most likely start asking for help early 2022, once I get the basic route done.

its nice to be appreciated, glad the guys at the symposium liked what I'd done.
The RGS is so big it put me off working on it, as did the South Park route, but if i have any time i'd be happy to help out with rock formations on the RGS route you envisage in the future. it depends on how well i can get on with the uintah in the next months or so...and if i don't have any more setbacks !

Hello from france,

fan of narrow gauges and of this Mallet steamer, I noticed there were Three motor-bogeys in this engine... With Togog we tried to correct it, so if your steam engine 51 needs to be corrected , I provide the two elements for the correction: https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/nsyh6PqOVCreQsDZvyUdQQ

Replace .IM file in the loc and Config.txt...

Friendly, Marc

Don't worry , I'm not going to document every bridge on the route as I re-vegetate ( there are 80 odd) but this is one of the biggest, this was washed out and a train went into the creek in the early days.

uDKLJ6a.jpg

There a pic of this scene right back at the first page of the thread, it looks a bit different ! https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?138110-Progress-on-the-Uintah-RW

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Ive been bashing along and will have some new screenshots to show soon,replacing all the older version vegetation and i think the route is going to look a lot better , also removing any non dls items i find as i go along. The only downside is I improved my techniques quite a bit in the time i ceased to work on the route, so now a lot of it looks shabby so changing lots of ground textures which have better bump maps , . The bigger cliffs will take probably take years to complete ( I spent nearly a week on one 500 meter section and it's surrounds and its still not finished ) but as soon as i can get rid of the unknown kuids and have re-textured and re-vegetated i'll bung it up on the dls.

Last edited:
Amazing! You show a lot of dedication to this, and it is great to see. The earlier screenshots looked great, so I can only imagine the updates!

this is the valley out of Wendella , the north side of Baxter pass. leading to dragon.
m3dWQ8g.jpg

lR1McJa.jpg

JOVHEU0.jpg

f3qZwSl.jpg

the view towards Dragon.
ab2gOjo.jpg

PogqEZL.jpg

mqqqrU2.jpg

lVMYMAQ.jpg

g4WUuLq.jpg

That looks really great
It would look better in 2019, but it's easier to work on this in tane .that's why I'm replacing the early billboards with billboard blueprints I made myself , they look passable in 2019 if anyone wanted to transfer the route to that version. I will hopefully release the whole route in tane as soon as it looks presentable , at the moment there are are splines hanging in midair here and there and of course about 150 unknown items , gradually wrinkling them out and replacing them as I go. As it is merging made every whistle post move out of place and quite a few weird singularities such as piles of conduits appearing and random weirdities take place here and there. It will take a while to find and fix them all.

Last edited:
The sagebrush and junipers are probably the best I have seen. Well done!

thanks, the utah junipers are the hardest to look good as their twisted trunks don't render well, if you use to many of those near each other it looks weird so that makes things take longer, i'm constantly having to remove and replace , forests of pines such as the ones on the timber ridge are much much easier to work with . my wife was saying to me how arid the route is , but even so, its actually stuffed full of vegetation , I've been digging into my videos of the area, there are a few on youtube which are most helpful and it has sage chest high almost all over the canyon, plus there are side canyons one can see from the locos that have to be vegetated too. thats why its taking so darned long to complete.

It's looking great and it also runs perfectly in the 22 beta. Screenshots just don't do it justice. You really have to drive it to appreciate its true beauty.
Great work, keep plugging away.

Cheers Graeme

Heres some shots taken from videos by hardy folks who venture into the area on bikes, this is just outside wendella , mostly grasslands as they graze cattle here.

Qn2Oy7q.jpg

thick sage starts coming into play along creeks a bit further along the canyon

HQXxGzM.jpg

then it gradually gets more arid , but with very thick brush made up of mostly sage. creek banks are really deep due to flash floods

NDGNNk1.jpg

its these cliffs that are goign to take ages to do, as well as the side canyons ...... its not possible to skimp on them as some are very wide. trying to use textures on the furthest mountains.
yUEhd4V.jpg

as you can see, this section between wendella and dragon is chock full of sage and pinyon/junipers on the cliffs , further up past dragon it gets more barren, no images available in that section as theres no road in that part of the canyon , i have to go by google earth, you can still see most of the roadbed, as it was all on fill, lots of washouts in that canyon .
this is just past dragon . one of the few deep cuts on the railroad
UxxIfJT.jpg

this was invaluable to give me an idea of what it looks Iike and I've tried to make my textures using shots from the area, although video usually isnt good enough quality ....

Last edited:
It's looking great and it also runs perfectly in the 22 beta. Screenshots just don't do it justice. You really have to drive it to appreciate its true beauty.
Great work, keep plugging away.

Cheers Graeme

Thats good to know it looks ok in the latest version of trainz and yes it does come up a lot better in game than in screenies.

Back