Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on the Uintah RW

Question Looking for missing Asset Dependency to DG Cliff Spines Asset.......

Good Day Sir Dan,

Was wondering if you have this Asset, it is part of your DG Cliff Splines, for some reason I am missing it? No rush just whenever you get a chance Sir.......

<kuid:44878:100789>

And those Pictures today, I really like those Rock Placements,,,,,,,,,

They just add some amazing contrast and visual detail to the Route, versus the normal Texture one would try too add for a Rustic Rock look.........Makes me want to climb those hills spelunking around too see if I find hidden Caves Etc.........I know it is a crazy thought, but your Canyon Views are just so inviting...........

Quote Originally Posted by blueodessey View Post
    ...Makes me want to climb those hills spelunking around too see if I find hidden Caves Etc..I know it is a crazy thought, but your Canyon Views are just so inviting...
    A good way to get bit by a rattlesnake

Quote Originally Posted by blueodessey View Post
    Good Day Sir Dan,

Was wondering if you have this Asset, it is part of your DG Cliff Splines, for some reason I am missing it? No rush just whenever you get a chance Sir.......

<kuid:44878:100789>

And those Pictures today, I really like those Rock Placements,,,,,,,,,

They just add some amazing contrast and visual detail to the Route, versus the normal Texture one would try too add for a Rustic Rock look.........Makes me want to climb those hills spelunking around too see if I find hidden Caves Etc.........I know it is a crazy thought, but your Canyon Views are just so inviting...........
    I do indeed have this item Blue, send me a pm with your email addy and i'll upload it for you, its 6mb
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    I do indeed have this item Blue, send me a pm with your email addy and i'll upload it for you, its 6mb
    Sent the email link........Thank you Sir........

Got the file this AM,,,,,Really appreciate it..............

1/31/19........Just popped in for a second,,,,,Saw MSG #278, that is a terrific looking new Cliff Spline,,,,,,,Those colors should do quite well with the hills, once you make them into the other pieces you need.........
    Last edited by blueodessey; January 31st, 2019 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Added Commmentary

Presume you have seen this Dan? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhOJ8eseCs
    Malc

The Worlds Most Crooked Railroad - The Uintah Railway ?

I thought the Mount Tamalpais Gravity Railroad 1917; Marin County, San Francisco Bay Area was the crookedest, I bought the book: "The Crookedest Railroad in the World"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9LyPWhjNpY

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Presume you have seen this Dan? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhOJ8eseCs
    Yeah,thanks for the link, ultimately it’s not all that useful as they dindnt really do anything new,I have almost everything that’s findable re the uintah online as I keep on searching every few days. It’s the far end section that has no road that is the biggest issue but I think I’ve got a better handle on what’s there . I think I need a drone to take a trip over there, no doubt eventually somebody will do just that and post it online, there was one that was up near dragon earlier on in the year.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

well , with the help of Sailor Dan I got this 2004 escarpment spline by Frank Dean updated to build 3.5 and i'm really excited about its prospects as there are five differing shapes and heights to use. They are tall so can only be used in some places , now all i have
    to do is make dozens of them :_)

Been very busy the last few weeks making new escarpment splines for the White River Canyon, which is one of the hardest sections of the line to complete and make it look anywhere near realistic. I have found a number of images of the actual cliffs and have made about 6 variations in Photoshop deleting various bits like pipeline cables and making up amalgams to give a bit of variety and have spent ages trying to get a reasonable blend in this cliff from reds to greys, not all that successful , I wish I could make large cliff splines myself as there are a large number of variations of shapes needed , probably more than a dozen :-(

the line meanders along the canyon cliff and crosses serval trestles, a relatively easy grade here of 2 percent

WIP here,still working on this section

White river section house and passing loop, you can take on water here for both Watson and Bonanza - deliver in either direction as neither 'town' has potable water.

Leaving White River and entering the 6% grade on the loops section that climbs up to Ute Summit

climbing towards the sheep loading loop which can hopefully be made interactive .

i'll be back again in a week or two with more progress on this White River canyon section .
    Last edited by dangavel; February 23rd, 2019 at 06:22 PM.

I did a bit more work on the cliffs opposite the track in White River canyon and i'm now quite pleased with the result.

I've made a lot more progress all of a sudden so here new images of the White River and the loops that climb up to Ute summit.The escarpment splines work well if layered , i had to make new 2048 x 1024 images as anything smaller is a bit ropey.
    but they seem to be working well.
    still need some more sage here and there, but this is almost complete.

still a bit more work to be done in the distance, round the corner on the left is Ignatio, where there's a road bridge, there were two plans, one was for this bridge here,which is longer and higher and thus more expensive. The other was to cross the river at Ignatio, which would have been a much longer route and ,even though the bridge would have been cheaper, would have involved a lot of blasting to cut a ledge for the track along the cliff face.

in this view you can see the track where it emerges from evacuation wash on the right, on the further bank the track loops three times to gain height over about 8 trestles and then turns left in the top near the middle of the frame and then descends into another canyon .I have studied this area more carefully now its closer to completion and have built up the ground a lot as the DEM i did wasn't detailed enough to render the terrain sufficiently accurately . In Ute canyon, the cliffs are again, rather a challenge ,as they are composed of rock that runs in horizontal lines, and the tight curves mean that they are going to be very hard to create a credible vision , but at least now i have 90% of White River canyon looking fairly respectable and i'm feeling quite relieved to have done it.
    Last edited by dangavel; February 26th, 2019 at 05:49 PM.

I've also been working on the loops section, if this had ever been constructed it would have rivaled the Cumbres and Toltec loop at Tanglefoot curve . Ah what might have been ......

This is one reason why I have make the whole section of the river up to Ignatio.
    New 2048 x 1024 escarpment splines in the background.

there were more creeks to make which I put off until now, as I've made SO many of them so far, but this section looks a lot better with this one running alongside it I think, I also built up the ground and added a cutting .

approaching the sheep loader

you can see most of the loops section here
    Last edited by dangavel; February 27th, 2019 at 09:29 PM.

Holy moly, Dan! At this point your route is approaching the same level of quality (and quantity) as Jango's White Pass (but warmer). Truly amazing!
    The United State's Health Care System ranks 37th in the world just behind Costa Rica.

Really nice, I like the landscape and its texture.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by normhart View Post
    Holy moly, Dan! At this point your route is approaching the same level of quality (and quantity) as Jango's White Pass (but warmer). Truly amazing!
    Thanks Norm, I aspire to be as good as Jango, but still a long way to go, but as I work on it the skills are improving as I see what is possible. What is amusing was when I was considering this route i had a look at some images and thought," oh , there's not a lot of buildings and towns, this will be relatively easy"
    Famous last words !! little did i reckon with the cliffs , creeks and the gilsonite trenches !!! and last , but not least, the sage , ohhhhhh, the sage , the sage !!!!! :-)